iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric power for a single blade WM Edger

Started by just_sawing, July 16, 2006, 07:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I am tired of trying to start my 11 horse single blade edger. WM didn't have the best idea on this one but it works. 11 horses seems over powered for something that is a glorified table saw with no feed mechaniziam. I am thinking that 2-3 horse electric 220V. Has anyone done this?
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

BBTom

I have one of the original two-blade Talon 900 edgers that I run off of a 5 hp single phase.   Had to slow down the feed a bit, but it works fine for me.  It's former owner had a 15HP 3-phase on it. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Kansas

Just Curious, did you get that talon edger from kansas? We sold one a while back that went back east.
If you did, I finally found the owners manual.

LOGDOG

Morning Kansas,

I've built a couple of edgers and just recently had been designing  a gang saw for large cants. I talked with a company that builds saw blades for me here. They build everything from edger saws to great big heads saws and any kind of planer blade you can think of. They said that for edgers or gangs you need 5 h.p. per blade plus 5 h.p. per inch of thickness. So for optimum performance on yours it appears that a 15 would be just right. Although, as I recall ...your machine is a handfeed unit without power feed correct? In that case you wouldn't have a power feed robbing you of any energy so you may be able to get away with a 10 h.p. which would open up the opportunity for using a 10 h.p. single phase and still maybe being relatively portable? Feed rate will detrmine performance here and I think you'll be fine.

LOGDOG

BBTom

That is the one Kansas.  It is still running.  with a couple of my mods, it does a pretty nice job. 

If the owners manual is three pages of saftey info and two pages of how to stick a board in, with NO pages of specifications, adjustments or tuning, then I got one. 

Thanks anyway. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Thank You Sponsors!