iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Concrete base for sawmill

Started by jrokusek, September 06, 2007, 09:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I roll logs onto the mill over ramps from the rollway. The only "thunk" I get is when rotating to a new face.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bannerd

Something that works pretty well is a ruble trench.  Have a backhoe come in and dig below the frost lines and then fill it with number 2 stone or number 1 stone.  Make sure he or she runs a drainage pipe at the bottom as the cold water/ice will absorb thermal the deeper it creeps.  It needs to run out at some point.  Compact it (not much to compact with stone) and when that is done, pour the concrete slab on top of that.

kelLOGg

The pad has been in use a couple of months now and it has held up well, so far. I have had several 25" x 17' pine on it so far so good.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

esarratt

Quote from: beenthere on September 06, 2007, 09:42:31 AM
I can only think that you will want to account for frost heaving below that slab.
Well said.

DaleK

Maybe went a bit overboard with mine but I went 2' high by 32" wide by 26' long, put some boulders in for fill but there's still 4.5 yards in it and some rebar. Backfilled it about halfway and left the notches for adjustable log decks. Put 10 adjustable deck blocks in the concrete so I can adjust it some if it doesn't settle evenly, I thought they might be weak but I found some with 2500 lb capacity, had a 24"x18' elm on it and it held up nicely
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Thank You Sponsors!