Yukon Eagle indoor woodfurnace

Started by Gary_B, August 02, 2008, 08:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_B

I was wondering if anyone has or been around a yukon indoor multifuel furnace? Im looking into a more effective way to heat my home, Id like a outdoor furnace but cannot afford the 10,000 cost for one of them,

thecfarm

What are you buying for $10,000?I bought a Heatmor and it was under $8000 for a 4 foot one.A 2 foot one can be bought for around $5500.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gary_B

The cheapest outdoor furnace I could find was like 5700.00, just for the furnace, woodmaster 4400, not including the shipping, which was around 579.00 , I called the closest place that carried the unit, he quoted me a price of 9000.00 for everything. If you go with a central boiler your looking at a base price of 6500.00 for furnace only. The price of steel has been skyrocketing, most of these units weigh in close to 1600 lbs and now with the cost of oil, they can just about name there price. I can buy a multifuel furance that burns oil/wood/coal for like 4500, that ties into my duct system. Living in the Ohio Valley where coal is very much available, Im starting to lean towards the indoor model, just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has a Yukon Eagle indoor furnace, and if so , are they satisfied with the unit.

Ed_K

I've been running a Newmac wood/coal indoor for 28 yrs. tho I never used coal in it. It has 200,000 btu capability. I paid around $2,800. but with steel it more now.
Ed K

beenthere

Ed
Is the Newmac a boiler system, or hot air?

What size home or area needs the 200,000 BTU?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed_K

Forced hot air, we heat a two level log cabin of about 1500 sf. at 75deg hotter if rita stokes it. I had to replace the pipe that come from the firebox once 10 yrs ago cause I didn't clean it properly,and it got pin holes in the bottom. when the blower worked it sucked smoke into the house. I don't think I needed 200,000 btu but its nice. We use about 4 cords of wood on average
Ed K

thecfarm

Big is better.Don't need the BTUs,don't fill the firebox so full.Need the 200,000,fill it full.Much easier to use less than it is to use more.I have a 400,000 BTU outdoor furnace.I doubt I will ever need the whole 400,000.But if I do I have it to use.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

If you have an indoor wood burner, big isn't always better....at least my good friend and hunting buddy didn't have that experience.

His house needed about 60-90,000 btu furnace. He put in a 150,000 wood/gas fired furnace because it would take big wood in the big firebox. It proved to be a bad decision.

The demand for heat (triggered from the setpoint on the thermostat) kicked the furnace on and it began to heat the plenum and the massive furnace. When the furnace was warm enough to kick the blower on to move the heat through the hot air system, it very quickly warmed the house to the point the thermostat said "warm enough so stop".  However, the blower would run for about another half-hour or so to cool the plenum around the furnace down to where it would shut off. All that stored heat had to go somewhere.  So the fluctuation of temperature in the house was drastic and the lady of the house said she was always opening windows to cool the house down.

That is how an oversized furnace in a house and a warm air system may respond unless something is done to prevent it. Less wood probably wouldn't solve the problem, unless a person was storing the energy in the form of hot water, or something else.

Maybe there is a way to get a large inside furnace to work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_B

I checked with a few different manufactures and asked if its 40 degrees outside and you have a furnace going how does it keep the temperature down, the only control you have is the damper, its basic like a wood stove, he also suggested opening the window. One of the biggest down falls to indoor wood furnaces, most are the same design as the ones they built 35 years ago. You would think they would have come up with a better design.

breederman

If it is 40 degrees out,about all you can do is start a small fire and let it go out.  I usually have some "junk" wood for warm days.
Together we got this !

Ed_K

We learned early on to use the damper to control the heat. One night in 86 I woke up to find it at 100 degs and the candles were laid over  ;D . Opened doors too that time.
Ed K

beenthere

Quote from: Gary_B on August 06, 2008, 07:18:11 AM
................, most are the same design as the ones they built 35 years ago. You would think they would have come up with a better design.

Probably it has to do with the limitation of the large pieces of wood.  If the wood is broken down to chips or even sawdust (biomizer comes to mind, as well as pellet stoves), then those better designs come to the surface. But chunks of wood, and not being dry on top of that, makes for difficult control of the energy being released by the wood. Can't turn it off like a gas burner, and the wood coals retain heat. Smouldering wood can be trying within the house as well as with neighbors.....and one main reason communities are against those of us that want and can burn wood.

That wood burn control is a big reason I like the hot water approach....where the energy is stored in the water until needed around the house. Even then, careful loading of wood for the amount of heat needed is necessary for good burning and heating. 

Just some thoughts.
south central Wisconsin