iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 point hitch welder

Started by timberfaller390, August 06, 2008, 03:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

I have an old hobart welder that has some parts missing off the engine. I was wondering if I could build a frame for a 3 point hitch and run it off my tractors PTO. Most farm implements run at either 540 RPM or 1000RPM so do any of yall know how I can tell what the RPM requirements are to run this welder?
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

pineywoods

Hard to tell for sure what the rpm requirement is, most likely 2400 but could be 3600. In any case, you gonna need some kind of speed step up -- belts, gears, etc. Those old welders are actually DC generators, so the rpm isn't all that critical.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

timberfaller390

Thanks for the info. If the RPM is "not that critical" do I need to worry about stepping up the speed? I can get more than 1000 rpm out of my tractor that is just what most balers and such operate at.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

pineywoods

It will probably work at 1000 rpm, but not very well. I'd say rig up a 2.5 to 1 belt drive, or an old manual tranny hooked up backwards--drive the output shaft of the tranny off the pto, hook the input shaft to the welder.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

olyman

MOST welders driven by a gas engine were at 3600 rpm--so even if you have 1000 pto--your going to have to step it up to 3600--or youll get no amps to speak of out of it---and some of those engines had a taper shaft to hook to the welder direct----

DanG

Did ya look at the spec plates on the engine or welder?  They'll probably tell ya what the RPM should be.  Just size your pulleys, sprockets or gearbox accordingly.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!