The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: black mold on my milled Doug Fir  (Read 6941 times)

Offline dkyle

• Share Post
black mold on my milled Doug Fir
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »
I milled some green Doug Fir early spring and stacked it.  Just now getting to it and see that some pieces have black mold on them.  Seems to have grown from the "white" outside part, not on the red heartwood.  I can plane it off OK, but not the 20' 4x10s i want to use as joists.
Any thoughts on how to remove it?  Also.. is it toxic?  It has occurred to me now that it might be dangerous breathing around the planer as the spores spew out.
Also.. for the future.. i guess i could have prevented this by better attending to my stack, but how?  I covered it only to shield it from the sun, and i don't want to restack it every week or so.
i live just outside of soggy Seattle.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: black mold on my milled Doug Fir
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:05:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

See if you can clean it off with a spray solution of bleach and water. I suspect it will wash off pretty well then. Try a few boards. A 10 - 25% mix should kill what is there.

Did you sticker this lumber, or not?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline redbeard

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • whidbeysawmill.comwww.whidbeysawmill.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »
I'am North of Seattle Did you wrap or cover the pile with tarps that will do it. hope it was stickered , no worries just preasure wash them and they will look like they did when you first cut them. If you air dry to long you might have to pre drill for nails or screws, A month or so is all you need on the 2x and 1x material its ready and nail gun friendly. Douglas fir is awesome in our area very strong stuff. If you use chemical cleaners on the sap wood it will grey and discolor if your going for a natural look just preasure wash. I like to use some metal roofing over my piles and i sticker (drying stick 3/4 x 3/4 x 48" every 16") dry softer wood like home depot 2x4 is best to use just rip them and you wont get sticker stains. They will preasure wash off also. I wouldn't worry about ill effects but be cautious eyes,ingesting and breathing it in a dry form might be unhealthy. Good luck on your building with it I love DF
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Offline BandsawWarrior

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • T&N Custom Sawmill - Specializing in Premium Fir Products
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:47:58 PM »
We mill Fir all the time and the problem is mold.  It likes the sapwood because that's where the natural sugars are.  Moisture is the enemy.  
A couple tricks to help reduce the mold
-dry pile use stickers (that don't have sapwood in them)
-keep under covered storage. even if you build a tent that keeps the tarp off the pile so air can get through (tarps are almost worst then no tarp because they hold the moisture inside the lumber pile) and mold likes dark damp places
-also leave a gap on all four sides of the timber when stacking (don't stack side by side touching)
-we brush the sawdust off each board as they come off the saw this helps tremendously because as the blade cuts through the sapwood it spreads it everywhere and contaminates the whole plank (*this is the most important)

We only have this problem in the fall and spring.  But Seattle is a lot damper than here...
If you know boards will be sitting for awhile just edge all the sapwood off and you won't have a problem.  

Tyler

Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

Offline dkyle

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:11:35 PM »
thanks for the tips, i do know that bleach doesn't clean it.
yes, I sticker the pile with 1" sticks
no, don't cover it, only put thin pieces on top to shield it from the Sun.
Issue is really bad with the bottom pieces on the sides facing down.  The ground is damp.
I'll try the suggestions, will try a pressure washer.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
We have been having some warm weather and the Doug fir that I milled up last weekend was already growing mold along the sap. I had just dry stacked it until I could move it to where I could sticker it today. Raise your stacks off the ground 8- 12 and that will help with airflow under the stack as long as there are no weeds growing up to block the airflow, and orienting your stacks so that the wind will blow thru the layers will help as well. Doug fir likes lots of airflow, but it dont like a lot of rain and sun.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline DiamondLane

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 03:49:08 PM »
I use hydrated lime powder with water to clean ,stop black mold. Can use with sulphur too ,wash floors, wood ,spread on walkways ,reapply add baking soda to ground floors to kill off. Black mold is extremely toxic get in ears nose throat sinuses, eyes, brain, internal infections easily create neuroligical disorders with no tests. I.e. parkinsons, alzheimers, ms, the no test series,- kill it now.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Black Mold

Started by JBob on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 11:42:22 PM
by Brad_bb
xx
Black mold

Started by Brad_bb on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2016, 07:55:49 AM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
Black mold rapidly formed on Walnut-Bleach?

Started by Brad_bb on Drying and Processing

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2020, 10:51:38 AM
by mredden
xx
black mold growth in subfreezing firewood kiln.

Started by swmn on Drying and Processing

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2021, 11:42:17 AM
by jimbarry