iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Walnut Logs,

Started by 123maxbars, July 19, 2011, 10:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Just a quick question for you guys, i don town a mill (yet) but my co worker has the LT28 and I work with him on small jobs, though he is new to milling also and is like me trying to gain knowledge. I had a guy give me three walnut lots this morning that were cut six weeks ago. They were not sealed when they were cut, are logs like this that have been cut for a while that where not sealed good candidates for milling? Thanks for any help.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

dutchman

End sealing keeps the end of the log from drying faster and checking (cracking).
The lumber from the log will still be fine. You may lose some length.

Jeff

Certainly.

The mill I sawed at never sealed any logs. We did try to saw our grade logs up asap and keep them in the shadier locations in the mill yard, or at least piled where they would shade each other, but we never sealed a log there in 25 years that I was there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

Good advice above already.  Walnut logs last a long time, especially if laying on the ground or otherwise kept as wet as possible.  6 weeks is nothing, except for whatever cracking on the ends has already occurred.  Sealing slows this but only where cracks haven't already started.  To do your best, trim off a little to eliminate the small cracks and seal them.  Keep them in the shade. After sawing, seal the ends in a couple of inches. If you sawed without sealing you can just trim each board and seal once then.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Planman1954

Six Weeks?? Naww..they're not any good NOW...I'll be over later to haul them off for ya... :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Thank You Sponsors!