iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

selling slabs - your advice

Started by opticsguy, November 20, 2012, 08:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I use my TK 1220 for personal use, have no intention for selling wood.  However on occasion there are some boards good enough to get out on the market but i dont really want to deal much with the public such as craigslist.   

Sometimes i enjoy cutting a slab for no particular use, just because I can . . .

So, if I wanted to sell a few, how to advertise? Craigslist is probably easiest. What size slabs to people prefer? 

Also, I had about ten boards of 5/4 x 12" x 14 ft of QS maple.  Had thought about selling these as one bundle, keeping ALL the boards together. Is this a feasable way to sell? 

Again, not wanting to get into selling a lot of lumber, just an occasional slab or two. . . . . or three 
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

drobertson

Not sure if you guys have radio swap shows up there, but this is a good place to make an occasional add.
You could advertise them as mantels  or bench materials? Leave one edge live for a nice rustic look.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

shelbycharger400

I use craigslist cause its free.
A general statement that goes with that is, they are fussy, they want what you cant buy at the box store. I have had people drive 70 miles one way just to buy a $10 board  :D  It is what it is. We as the sawmill operator are selling a product to essentially ourselfs or a customer. We can custom cut FULL dimension.  A hobby worker finishing out something and says for an example, I want a 1x10 , live edge .
Me : No problem, I say, I can cut for the most part plus or minus an 1/8 over 8 feet. A 1x10 live face will vary between 8-10 wide full run as a general statement. 
Usually you can get a 1x10 out of 12 in dia log with a few extra boards . These extra boards usually will sell to the same person working on a "project"

You can try to sell in lots, but craigslist buyers only want a few pieces.
That qtr sawn lot is best advertised as a table top sets or along that route.  Also "Book matched" sets are easier to sell in lots.

WDH

Place the ad and show some pics.  Someone might be looking to build a custom maple counter top.  You have to put your bait in the water.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Just never know what some people will need or buy. Wife is making pies for the holidays. pecans are really high. Someone wanted one,she said $15 they are coming today at 4 to pick it up. All the other pies she changes $10,which I feel is too low,but in our area and the customer we have,that is too high for them. Keep trying too at different times through the year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

Join a local woodworking club.  Your target audience will all be in the same place at the same time.  Donate a piece or two for their nightly raffle and bring some business cards.  Better yet, have your trailer waiting in the parking lot loaded down with special boards. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ohsoloco

I've had some good luck with craigslist.  Had a guy drive a couple hours to buy some ash lumber.  I like those long distacnce customers better, because they usually stock up rather than a local just picking through the stack  ;) 

I listed some mulberry slabs last year and it was a pain selling one or two slabs here or there, half of the people not even bothering to show up or call to cancel.  Ended up finding a lumber company an hour away that bought all the mulberry on the spot (I delivered)  :)

Thank You Sponsors!