The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Blade Tension when not using mill  (Read 5620 times)

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Back again....making multi-colored sawdust
    • Share Post
Re: Blade Tension when not using mill
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
    I back the tension off my Turner Mill when i shut it down. The band wheels are regular trailer tires and start off with a jumping action if i don't back the tension off. I think i broke a few blades because i didn't back it off when i first got the mill.
    It makes for a lot smoother start-up anyway.
    LEON

Good to see another Turner user! The one I use is about 12 years old +/-, anyway, the tension adjustment is a bolt and nut setup, and of course there is no gauge to show how much tension there is-- they told me it's not an exact science. So far I have only ever broken one blade, and that was when I left the blade engaged while leaving the engine idling. (after a cut). It was just sitting there ticking over and all at once the blade broke.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Wagner Farms, Dacusville, SC

Looking for the return of the Lord!

Offline red pine

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
I am new to sawing but have de-tensioned at end of day. I find springs lose tension over time and relaxing them is as good for them as it is for me. I will have to get a leather apron like Majicman and hang it on the tensioner handle so as not to forget to tension-up before re 8)starting. Redpine  8)

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »
I know it is common practice to back off the tension on the blade when done sawing for the day. But I don't know why. In all these posts in this thread there is not one with a good reason why we do it. Woodmiser must have a reason why they recommend it. But what is the reason? Sometimes I de-tension and sometimes I don't and I don't notice any difference.

Offline never finished

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
 I let mine off at the end of the day. It might be tomorrow, or next month before I saw again. Okra I bought a pawn shop torque wrench to solve tightness problem. That was after a major problem of a broken shaft. The biggest part of the problem  was figuring out what the problem was.       

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »
Cutterboy,

See the link I posted from Suffolk Machine in this thread,

Item 3 page 6 of the online catalog answer's your question(s).

Best DGDrls

Offline Cutting Edge

• Share Post
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
I let mine off at the end of the day. It might be tomorrow, or next month before I saw again. Okra I bought a pawn shop torque wrench to solve tightness problem. That was after a major problem of a broken shaft. The biggest part of the problem  was figuring out what the problem was.       

Excellent/Simple solution for us with non-hydro tensioners!!!   8)  That would take all the guess work and "fluttering" outta the equation...I will be adding this to the mill tools for sure!!  Just have to remember to back off the torque wrench now   ::)
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:26 PM »
I know it is common practice to back off the tension on the blade when done sawing for the day. But I don't know why. In all these posts in this thread there is not one with a good reason why we do it. ...

Here's the one you missed ;D.

... In these parts the temperature change from early morning to afternoon will cause the fluid in the tensioner to expand. I've seen the tension go right off the gauge when I forgot to back off the tension during lunch.

To give you an idea of what can happen, my friend John bought a new hydraulic Wood-Mizer 3 years ago. A few days after he fired it up he noticed the blade was losing tension. Wood-Mizer told him to check the fluid level in the tensioner -- it was full. They had him try a couple of other troubleshooting tricks -- nothing.

Finally they told him to just keep tightening it. There must be a fluid leak somewhere and it would eventually show up. Well John was sawing and the pressure kept falling off so he just kept winding up the adjuster. Suddenly in the middle of a cut there was a loud bang and fluid sprayed straight up in the air from the tensioner. It turned out the guage was faulty and he had the pressure up around 4500 PSI. It blew the top right off the guage.

The point here is that rising air temperature or direct sunlight pushes the pressure up 'till you're off the guage, you really don't know how high it's gone.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 12:24:43 AM »
i take the pressure off my norwood each day or if i stop for lunch.
i also turn of the water and run the band until dry before i let it off.
i have been squirting oil on the blade guides too after the bands dries.seems to help the bearings.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Back again....making multi-colored sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 01:38:13 AM »
I oil the bearings. They're too expensive not to.  >:(
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Wagner Farms, Dacusville, SC

Looking for the return of the Lord!

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile 2005-2022
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 06:26:29 AM »
It's also been said that in hot weather, that if you don't back the tension off when shutting down, that due to the heat, the band could snap.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now Retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline tcsmpsi

• In Memoriam
  • Time is relevant, only because it exists.
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Shop/MPSI
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
I release all tension on my band at the end of the sawing day.  The torque wrench (for those to whom it might apply) works if you use the same type of blade.  Different bands work most efficiently with different tensions.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »
When I'am done sawing at the end of the day I usally remove the band for sharpening and install a sharp one might as well leave it slack til the next running.Prehaps theirs no real damage from leaving the band tensioned but it can't help it, bearings,springs and belts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline fat olde elf

• Growing old is not for sissies - Betty Davis
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 04:05:46 AM »
 Cook's manual says to detension at the end of the day.  I rarely forget. Not worried about flatttening any belts on the mill as I have solid steel band wheels. Just trying to follow directions.........Say your prayers
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Offline starrtraveler

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Cutterboy,

Best DGDrls

Just printing out your reference to Suffolks recommendations for de-tensioning blades after cutting.
ALWAYS DETENSION YOUR BANDS
When you are done cutting for the day, take the tension off your blade. Band saw blades, when warmed up from cutting, always stretch; and upon cooling shrink by tens of thousandths of an inch each cooling period. Therefore, blades, when left on the saw over tension themselves and leave the memory of the two wheels in the steel of the band, which will cause cracking in the gullet. When you leave the band on your saw under tension, not only do you distort the crown and flatten out the tires (which makes them very hard), but you also place undue stress on your bearings and shafts. Believe it or not; you can, and will damage your wheel geometry sooner or later and considerably shorten bearing life. You are also crushing your tires or V-belts.

Figured this would be a nice link to throw in: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six-rules-of-sawing/
In the process of gathering info to build a bandmill.  Going with the Linn design.

Offline Knute

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
I have had my LT28 for 18 months and have never released the tension except when changing blades. Have never had any problems, but maybe should start to release when not in use. I don't remember seeing anything in the instructions regarding this, but I could have missed it.

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »
Cutterboy,

Best DGDrls

Thanks dgdrls, that was very interesting. I guess I'll be more careful about backing of tension.

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
Brucer, my Norwood has a different tensioner than your Woodmiser. There's no fluid in it. It has a large spring. However, thanks for your post..... there are so many woodmiser owners out there.

Starrtravler, thanks for posting the info that dgdrls brought to our attention. There is good information in there.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Blade tension

Started by Bruno of NH on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post November 10, 2019, 08:53:44 AM
by curved-wood
xx
Blade tension

Started by MrMoo on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2004, 08:19:41 PM
by DR_Buck