iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pasty Time

Started by Magicman, August 22, 2012, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, the Pig Roast is all about eating, so eating the local food is part of the trip.  While visiting the Masonic Lodge in Harrison, I found out the the Masons there make and sell Pasties as their fundraiser to sponsor their scholarship program.  They sell beef and chicken Pasties, so we bought both, and filled the freezer in the RV.

Pasties are a meat pie similar to Pot Pies, but are folded over, instead of a pie shell and top.  Along with the meat, there is diced potato, carrot, and rutabaga.  Well, I do not care for "rutabegger", but that is just part of Pasties, so I just eat it all, and it is very good.

Fresh out of the oven.

OK, so I like gravy with my Pasty.

This picture is without a flash and shows the ingredients very well.     
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Looks great on that new counter top, Lynn. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

That brought an instant smile on my face.   :)

Due to some gentle persuasion, I edited and removed the "ie" and replaced it with a "y".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Looks pretty darn good to me too!

I'd eat gravy on everything if I could....stupid calories.  :D

chevytaHOE5674

I can tell you were introduced to them south of the bridge as gravy is a troll thing :D. Most Yoopers eat them plain or with catsup. Thursday night is our "traditional" pasty night around here, so I can tell you what is for dinner tomorrow.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Ironwood

I am still teasing my wife on the "ie", y thing......and I still pronounce it MY way ;D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Chris Burchfield

Norm, gravy is the food of life.  Coffee is for those who need it thinned out a bit.  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

sandhills

Magic that looks great!  But, uhm, I don't see the grits  ???   :)

LeeB

And here I thought a pasty was something from the old burlesque days.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: LeeB on August 23, 2012, 01:54:53 AM

Shortly after crossing into the U.P. during our recent trip through Michigan, we saw a sign at a gas station that said "Gram's Pasties". Dad and I were both pretty sure we didn't want to stop there :D

We did drop by a pasty joint in Munising and it was not bad. I still prefer a plain ole chicken pot pie, though :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Shotgun

Dodgy

You need to get a good pasty.  Not all pasties are good pasties.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Shotgun on August 23, 2012, 06:45:20 PM
Not all pasties are good pasties.

Norm

Ain't that the truth. And a "good" pasty is all up to the individual eater. Some like a bland pasty and some like one with a little more spice and kick to it. There is differences in the crust, some are dry and flaky others are moist and firm.

Personally if your in the western UP there is no better pasty then one from Henry's Inn in Rockland, Mi. But others find them too spicy, theres also a pasty joint in Iron River, Mi that has a decent pasty tho it is on the blander side of the scale.

Norm

That's interesting you eat them with ketchup. Maybe even above gravy I like ketchup on almost everything!

LOGDOG

Yep those pasties look pretty good. I like ketchup on mine vs. gravy but I wouldn't turn my nose up at gravy either. I saw something the other day that some here may be interested in. It's a folding tool for making empanadas. Empanadas are basically just like a pasty. Mom used to make big batches of pasties and freeze them on cookie sheets so that all we had to do is put however many we needed for dinner on a cookie sheet in the oven and then maybe some sides. This folder would come in handy if you wanted to make up a big batch.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10498.0
Reply #9.

Down here we have Natchitoches Meat Pies. You can Google it. I'm friends with the owner of the company. It's a spicier version of the pasty with a finer grind of meat and no big chinks of vegetables. I'll take a pasty over a meat pie any day but that's probably my WI heritage showing through.  :)

Jeff

I actually don't care for those Harrison Pasties.  One year we did have honest to goodness western U.P. pasties here at the pig roast on the Friday night before. Chet and the Wax Lady sent them down. I can guarantee, they know what a good pasty is. 

I'd heard that in the west end, in the mining communities, that a good pasty crust was one that could be caught intact when dropped down a 100 foot shaft so it could then be heated on a shovel. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Gaiche

Looks good MM. Did we ever get an update on the kitchen project? bg

Bill Gaiche

Never mind MM about the follow up. I just spotted it. Looks great. Man those bisquits,eggs, bacon, sausage and grits are really gona be good comming from that new makeover. bg

DR Buck

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on August 23, 2012, 06:40:44 PM
Quote from: LeeB on August 23, 2012, 01:54:53 AM

Shortly after crossing into the U.P. during our recent trip through Michigan, we saw a sign at a gas station that said "Gram's Pasties". Dad and I were both pretty sure we didn't want to stop there :D

We did drop by a pasty joint in Munising and it was not bad. I still prefer a plain ole chicken pot pie, though :)

I agree with your thinking.  I opened this thread expecting to read something similar to the lunchtime trips we made to the base club when I was on active duty in the early 70s.    no_no
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Shotgun on August 23, 2012, 06:45:20 PM
Dodgy

You need to get a good pasty.  Not all pasties are good pasties.

Norm

We ate at Muldoon's, which was highly rated, but that was probably by a bunch of tourists, so who knows if the locals actually eat there. I would prefer a spicier pasty - the ones we had were pretty bland. I shoulda used ketchup!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tyb525

Mmm boy that looks good with the gravy!! Never had one but I do love pot pies
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Jeff on August 23, 2012, 08:41:17 PM
I'd heard that in the west end, in the mining communities, that a good pasty crust was one that could be caught intact when dropped down a 100 foot shaft so it could then be heated on a shovel. :)

I've heard that too, and unfortunately many of the pasty's that you buy wouldn't hold up to being dropped 10 feet let alone 100.

WDH

I have had the meat pies in Natichitoches, LA and I have had meat pies in Tumut, Austraila.  Now, it will soon be time for me to have a UP pasty (pastie).  That is on the agenda post-Pig Roast next year.  A man has to experience life.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Quote from: WDH on August 23, 2012, 09:51:48 PM
I have had the meat pies in Natichitoches, LA and I have had meat pies in Tumut, Austraila.  Now, it will soon be time for me to have a UP pasty (pastie).  That is on the agenda post-Pig Roast next year.  A man has to experience life.

Its about time!  Are you going with me to the cabin for a day or two or three?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!