iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it, Chestnut or Chinkapin? -- Updated pics!

Started by RPowers, August 26, 2013, 10:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

No.

I don't do the foreign stuff much. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

was the chestnut blight responsible for killing off the chimkapins also?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mesquite buckeye

They are more resistant, but I think so.

WDH- it is supposed to be an actual American Chestnut that has incorporated the resistance from the Chinese one, but backcrossed multiple times so that it is a true american with resistance.

Least that's what I heard. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

RPowers

MEsquite,
I'm looking forward to those becoming more available (the truly resistant backcrosses). I'd cover my hills with them.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

mesquite buckeye

What I read they said they would first make them available to state parks natl parks etc. Apparently, they haven't got many of them yet and/ or haven't heard of vegetative propagation. They could tissue culture up a bazillion of them in short order. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

CJennings

There's a bunch of those new chestnuts in the national forest a few towns away from me. They're looking real good, nice and healthy and growing fast. I just hope they hurry up and start producing nuts, I love chestnuts.  ;D

CCC4

If that is a chinkapin it would be a big one. Most I have ever seen were not much over 4 inches across and they were bearing.

The only healthy looking chinkapins I have seen were in Ozark, Ar. and in the Jasper/Low Gap region. Ours I have stumbled across look terrible, and look like they're half dead.

Pyatt huh? I know a fella out there your way, he worked for the Postal Service and brought the mail from Harrison over here..I bet you know him, he is or was a a great big heavy set man named Bill. I worked at the turkey houses with him sometimes.

CCC4

Quote from: LeeB on August 29, 2013, 10:57:56 PM
was the chestnut blight responsible for killing off the chimkapins also?

I may be bad wrong here but weren't the American Chestnuts killed by an infestation of worms? Or did the worms come in after a blight killed the tree?

WDH

The blight was caused by a fungus, Cryphonectria parasitica.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Yes...when active, it looks like an open red sore at the base of the tree...the kiss of death. The true test of their success won't so much be the nuts (imo), but the size of the tree. An American Chestnut can grow to a fairly large size in a short amount of time. was not unusual to encounter trees 7-9' across and others even bigger. Similar properties to White Oak but much easier to dry. I hope I live long enough saw some.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

I think it's just a knarly, armed and twisted beech of some kind myself.  Look out, it don't bite ya. :D

Ok, I'll behave now. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

qbilder

Looks like American chestnut to me. Saw a bunch of them in Ohio this past summer, of which many were producing fruit. I have been watching a few of the bigger ones for several years now. Sadly, they seem to get about 10" diameter & begin to die.
God bless our troops

RPowers

2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

qbilder

I still say chestnut. Looks just like what I have been seeing.
God bless our troops

milling man

that first picture looks like what everyone around here calls chestnut oak

chain

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 06, 2013, 05:01:51 AM
I think it's just a knarly, armed and twisted beech of some kind myself.  Look out, it don't bite ya. :D

Ok, I'll behave now. ;D

Photo sort of looks like the Ozark-chinquapin,[castanea pumila var. ozarkensis], a close kin would be the Allegheny or downy Chinquapin. These have the spiny burs.

At one time had donated to the cause of bringing back and propagating O-c. I have two saplings, drought killed them back but they both came back strong last year. Think a skidder got one of them this past fall. :-\

Canker supposedly killed off the trees and only remnants of regrowth from stumps remain. Some growers have had some luck.

But I have a very few Chinkapin Oak I've found and trying to save a couple of mature trees and a few saplings.

SwampDonkey

I was joking with that post, it was a picture of beech.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chain

Okay then, let's stray a bit further. What about the "Quercus prinoides"? Dwarf chinkapin[chinquapin] oak. Now, I'm excited about this shrub-tree for wildlife purposes. Listed as a shrub and reportedly has acorns in 3-5 years!

I'd like to introduce them into my natural plant food plots. However, the book says this shrub can be difficult to manage on prairies, forms thickets..that's a plus. 

The only ruffed grouse I ever saw in our woods flew from under a shrubby-thick-leafed bush in snow. Could of been a chink? I've wished a thousand times I could find it again[the shrub].

Dodgy Loner

I'd say it's a pretty textbook chinkapin. Probably Castanea ozarkensis. It is undoubtedly a Castanea of some species, not a Quercus.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: chain on December 29, 2013, 10:15:53 AM
Okay then, let's stray a bit further. What about the "Quercus prinoides"? Dwarf chinkapin[chinquapin] oak. Now, I'm excited about this shrub-tree for wildlife purposes. Listed as a shrub and reportedly has acorns in 3-5 years!

We have a nut producing shrub here called beaked hazel. Some years you could fill a burlap sac in no time. They have to be culled for grubs, but they taste real good. :)

Sawyer697

American Chestnut Old reclaimed barn Beams, Posted picture if I can find it.
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

GraceNmercy

Quote from: chain on December 28, 2013, 08:52:52 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 06, 2013, 05:01:51 AM
I think it's just a knarly, armed and twisted beech of some kind myself.  Look out, it don't bite ya. :D

Ok, I'll behave now. ;D

Photo sort of looks like the Ozark-chinquapin,[castanea pumila var. ozarkensis], a close kin would be the Allegheny or downy Chinquapin. These have the spiny burs.

At one time had donated to the cause of bringing back and propagating O-c. I have two saplings, drought killed them back but they both came back strong last year. Think a skidder got one of them this past fall. :-\

Canker supposedly killed off the trees and only remnants of regrowth from stumps remain. Some growers have had some luck.

But I have a very few Chinkapin Oak I've found and trying to save a couple of mature trees and a few saplings.
I know this is an old post, but thought I'd revive it by responding. I agree with chain on this being an Ozark Chinquapin. I bark, leaves and even the location is a tell tale sign of Castanea Ozarkensis.
I'm a part of the Foundation, and I also have some growing in northeast Texas. I also have a very old chinkapin oak on our place, and there's definitely a noticeable difference in the leaves.
This was once an important tree to the people and definitely the wildlife in the Ozarks, and northeast Texas, northern Louisiana, and northern Alabama and mature trees once reached up to 60 feet, and dropped lots and lots of small sweet nuts that was more attractive to wildlife than any other nut in the forest.
If you ever come across any others report them the the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation, as they're breeding blight resistant trees to restore them to their former glory. They even send seed to new members. Check out the site... Ozark Chinquapin Foundation

samandothers

I am glad this was bumped back.  It is an interesting read.  I remember as a kid in the 60's eating chinkapins from what I recall was a small tree.  This was in SW Va. in the mountain areas.  Have not seen any in years.  Sure did like the taste of those small nuts. 

kantuckid

I have one ridge trail that rides the ridge mostly and used to be common for us to see sapling or brushy American Chestnuts come up and die back. I have a leaf in one of my tree books off them. Not seen any in more recent years-we bought this land in 1978 so some times gone by here bouts... :D 
I've never seen a wild Chinkapin in KY?  

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!