iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Potholes

Started by 21incher, February 19, 2014, 06:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Over the past couple of weeks the roads in my area have become so full of potholes that some of them are becoming dangerous to drive on. I have never seen it this bad before and wonder if the extreme cold we have had this year is causing the asphalt to shrink and crack apart. It is getting to be a common sight to see a pothole and just ahead of it a car with a flat tire and cracked aluminum rim. Anybody else have this problem?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Not yet.We need some above freezing temps first. But some are coming for the next few days. Than the pot holes will appear. But I have noticed the frost heaves are awaking from thier deep sleep. The frost heaves are not too bad if you know the roads.The other day I was on a road that I had not been on in a while. The car in front of me slows down alot for no reason. Until I saw the car go up and down,than I knew why.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

We are getting pot holes here to but man the frost heaves are like ski jumps >:(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Den Socling

This morning in Pennsylvania the heaves were ice covered ski jumps.  :o

celliott

Oh yeah, big time. VT Rt.15, 50mph speed limit in most areas, it's unsafe to drive more than 40 the potholes, and frost heaves are so bad. Not just winter either, it's bad year round.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

dgdrls

Quote from: 21incher on February 19, 2014, 06:43:20 PM
Over the past couple of weeks the roads in my area have become so full of potholes that some of them are becoming dangerous to drive on. I have never seen it this bad before and wonder if the extreme cold we have had this year is causing the asphalt to shrink and crack apart. It is getting to be a common sight to see a pothole and just ahead of it a car with a flat tire and cracked aluminum rim. Anybody else have this problem?

Right with you in Syracuse, Fulton and Oswego area.

Brutal 

DGDrls

Okrafarmer

It could be the extreme weather, but it also has to do with how recently and how well they have been fixed / resurfaced. But that could devolve this thread into a talk about government, which I shall not do.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

Okrafarmer,good to see you posting. The town of Chesterville is lucky. We have a lot of gravel around here. So we have a good base without having to build it up. Not many potholes and frost heaves like some towns have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Frost heaves are terrible this year around here. When driving at night your headlights cast a shadow off the heaves and makes them look like moguls on a ski hill. Last I heard there was 70+ inches of frost which means the roads are only going to get worse.

coxy

they are horrible here to           70+in of frost :o  how do you keep your water from freezing

Cedarman

Many years ago we had a stretch of road with many deep potholes that never seemed to get fixed.
One day I called the local newspaper and asked to put an ad in the lost and found section.
I told the lady I wanted it to read  "Volkswagon Rabbit lost in the bottomless pothole section of the Valeene Road."
She then asked for a phone number in case someone found it.  I said, think about it for a minute.  She did, she laughed  and the ad ran.
Don't remember if it helped get them fixed, but did get a lot of laughs.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

21incher

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 20, 2014, 07:06:44 AM
Frost heaves are terrible this year around here. When driving at night your headlights cast a shadow off the heaves and makes them look like moguls on a ski hill. Last I heard there was 70+ inches of frost which means the roads are only going to get worse.
With 70 inches of frost you are going to be up to your knees in mud for quite some time when the spring thaw comes.
Now they are calling for 50 deg temps and a inch of rain this afternoon and then another below zero polar vortex next week. There probably will be bigger and better potholes in the future. Low profile tires and cast aluminum rims do not do well in these conditions and my F350 just about puts you through the roof.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

chevytaHOE5674

Most of the areas with city water are having all the people leave water running 24/7 to help keep the pipes from freezing. The city and village crews have also been busy with their welders thawing out pipes.

coxy

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 20, 2014, 07:39:47 AM
Most of the areas with city water are having all the people leave water running 24/7 to help keep the pipes from freezing. The city and village crews have also been busy with their welders thawing out pipes.
that's good for the city if you have to pay for the water  :o

m wood

i just replaced the shackles on my rear springs (1 broke) DanG them potholes!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Dave Shepard

I thought I was going to get stuck in one the other day, but the Smart car in front of me fell in first and I just drove right over his roof.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shelbycharger400

Take a. Pic of the broken rim, pothole and have a noticeable landmark in the background.  Then send the bill to the state.  It works here in MN, but most don't know bout it

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: coxy on February 20, 2014, 07:25:53 PM
that's good for the city if you have to pay for the water  :o

They estimate your bill based on past usage.

I told the wife if we had city water and were on the let run program I could build an ice skating rink out back and tell them all that usage was just the faucet running. ha

DaleK

Pothole flattened an 18.4 R 38 on the tractor delivering firewood today, turned out it hit hard enough to pop an old boot and the tire opened up and bit the tube. Fun fun. Then got to the tire shop and they had 5 new employees and only one that had been there since last year. 4 hours later...
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

luvmexfood

Yep. Hate potholes and almost as bad is when they send out a new crew to fix them and hump the patch up. Then you have pothumps.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I have seen some filled with some sort of sand? for no better word,that packs down hard. Than when it's not needed it's pushed off to the side of the road.

sprucebunny

One road that I use daily gets so bad some years that they dump gravel on it and grade it  :o It's not so much the holes but the heaves get so high. ..Or is it the dips so low ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

We call them Mother Nature's speed bumps and they breed like rabbits. ;D We just have to live with them in the north due to weather extremes but I sure hate them hitting them with the stiffly sprung pickumuptruck.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

a friend of mine hit a heave in the road so hard when the truck come down it ripped the plow frame out of the truck frame and ran over some of the plow what a mess over 2100 in damage  oil pan  tie rods  tire and frame work

Thank You Sponsors!