The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: What to buy *used* first? Skidsteer, atv (log arch), tractor, forklift etc.  (Read 3166 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
scsmith42 made some very good points.  I'd just add that there are are 40 HP tractors that will lift 2000# on the loader, so you MIGHT not have to go all the way to 60+HP. (The lift capacity is not a function of HP, it's more a function of tractor weight/size and loader design. That said, larger tractors tend to be designed to pick up bigger loads.)  You may find the larger tractors he mentions are more suited to serious logging. (I use a 33 HP compact tractor for my work in the forest, but I'm doing personal/friends firewood, not logging for timber. I have more options to just process larger trees right in the woods, rather than load them on a trailer or skid them out. I'm also able to access most of my woods from on or near a prepared trails, using the logging winch and a snatch block.)

Also, a lot will depend on exactly what you need to do, but if you already have a capable tractor that you can use in the woods, and want something more suited to yard work or work inside a building, a dedicated forklift might be the thing, and just get a backhoe attachment for your tractor, if you need a backhoe.  They do make forklifts that are made for outside work not on a cement pad. (We had some 6 and 8,000# rated forklifts at work in Ohio that had pneumatic tires - which we foam filled, and ran over a bumpy dirt yard quite well. I don't kno if they make the same thing in a smaller fork truck.)  One advantage of the dedicated forklift is that they've got a very good turning radius, and a relatively short overall length - great for maneuvering inside a building or in between tight rows in the yard.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
I am in the tractor first camp as well. When I started my landscaping business I bought a Kubota L-48. It was my do all machine. Loader work, backhoe, field mower, box blade etc. The Kubota B, L, and M series backhoes are industrial machines. They will lift much more than a farm or other compact tractor. Also the backhoes mount very solidly, you take the 3 point hitch off altogether. The John Deere 110 is the only other small industrial that I know of that fits the category of industrial backhoe with 3 point hitch option. There are a lot of L-48 and the smaller L-35 and L-39 tractors around at reasonable prices. The only real advantage to a skid loader that I see is the high lift capacity, but that comes at the cost of a much narrower scope of operations. Also, they will rototill every square inch of your life, unless you are on a good compacted yard. I also don't care for the poor visibility.

I don't know how much a UD-14A with clutch weighs, but my guess is at least 3,000, maybe even 3,500.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
I'd stay away from the 3 point hitch mounted backhoes altogether, unless you are using a big machine that is designed for it.  For the smaller tractors, if you want a backhoe, go with a subframe mounted model.  Woods makes a great one where the subframe stays on the tractor all the time, and you just pop the backhoe itself on and off as needed. I think they call it their "4 point hitch" subframe. (When I was doing it regularly, I could get it off in about 3 minutes, and back on in a bit over 5 minutes.  I'm a bit slower at it now, since I don't use it as often.)

My backhoe was bought used. It was a Wood model set up for 3 point hitch use.  When I got the subframe, it just involved unbolting a few parts from the backhoe, and bolting on the parts that mated to the subframe.  My tractor dealer did it, but it would have been easy enough to do myself.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
The Kubota industrial backhoes use a full sub frame. You can see it in the pic above. It's the gray piece that goes between the tires. It ties the loader into it as well. Very rugged.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Some brands tie in the loader too. I have flat stock that goes from the rear end to the front end. This is on a NH.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What do you use, Tractor, skidsteer Trackloader or what???

Started by campwags on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post August 13, 2017, 10:18:46 AM
by Andries
xx
Taking sawdust away from mill, compact tractor or skidsteer?

Started by customdave on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 08:39:39 AM
by Warren
xx
Logrite T-36 Tractor arch...

Started by sdoucet on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 07:24:18 PM
by sdoucet
xx
New ATV and Tractor arch videos