iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

How's the price on walnut holding? We don't have much up here. Oak still ok? 

rdobb13

@nativewolf we are taking the walnut down to 10 inches and minimum 8'6 lengths. Beyond that we trim out all the pulpwood we can. 

@Firewoodjoe straight run loading the whole tree it's averaging 4000mbf. 

Firewoodjoe

Well at least that's still holding on ok. 

stavebuyer

Tree run Walnut logs averaging $4 when Walnut lumber won't average much over $2. Guess somebody is expecting the market to improve.

OH logger

Quote from: rdobb13 on March 24, 2023, 04:01:32 PM

Rdobb I have to ask:where are you from?? and the only reason I ask is your mudflaps say neinbergs on em. That dealership is real close to me. Wondered how far the truck got from their dealership...or at least the mudflaps lol  

john

rdobb13

@OH logger I'm from pike county. The truck has been around here for about ten years, I just bought it this week. 

Walnut Beast

Any reason a log buyer wouldn't like Anchorseal on the walnut log ends beside not being able to study the log ends if it's colored? 

rdobb13

@stavebuyer they do a fair amount of exporting. The junk is paying 1900mbf, not sure what they are doing but I'm sad I'm just about out of it. I've 

nativewolf

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 24, 2023, 09:03:10 PM
Any reason a log buyer wouldn't like Anchorseal on the walnut log ends beside not being able to study the log ends if it's colored?
They could.  If he sold to an export yard the logs could be in containers already. 
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Walnut Beast

Nativewolf the reason I ask is when I had a conversation with a log buyer from a multi state sawmill that will come from out of state when asked if there was a problem with putting on Anchorseal he said he would prefer if I didn't put it on. The reason I wanted to put it on was if I didn't think he was giving me a good price I would keep it all. I had red Anchorseal but remembered they had clear so that's what I'm going to put on. Probably going to be several veneer logs out of 60+ all straight and clear 8'6 minimum and 20"+ minimum sticks plus the sticks going up Need to figure out a few other buyers

stavebuyer

Lots of tricks in this trade and not all of them are strictly on the buyers end. Buyers like to see the ends of fresh cut or clipped logs. Wax/paint/truss plates/ sun faded ends all can and sometimes purposely hide defects. South of the Ohio river our Walnut is notorious for being "wormy", and it won't really show unless the log is fresh clipped.

nativewolf

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 25, 2023, 03:17:08 PM
Nativewolf the reason I ask is when I had a conversation with a log buyer from a multi state sawmill that will come from out of state when asked if there was a problem with putting on Anchorseal he said he would prefer if I didn't put it on. The reason I wanted to put it on was if I didn't think he was giving me a good price I would keep it all. I had red Anchorseal but remembered they had clear so that's what I'm going to put on. Probably going to be several veneer logs out of 60+ all straight and clear 8'6 minimum and 20"+ minimum sticks plus the sticks going up Need to figure out a few other buyers
My advice is to keep the logs cool, keep the ends out of the sun as much as you can.  Also keep them long as you can while keeping clear and free of defect.  The pricing should change for veneer as you get up to 22" diameter, enabling mills to slice them for rift sawn material.  So, a 9' 22" log may be worth more than a 16' 18" diameter log.  Just as an example.  
Stavebuyer may have better comments, I'd ask the buyers what is the min length for veneer.  9' is usually safe but if it is an export buyer he may want something different.  Make sure you find out.  
Be cognizant that sometimes you just have to cut a foot or two of log off.  It happens.  
Sounds fun with 60 trees.  
Liking Walnut

stavebuyer

The veneer game revolves around 9' &10's and multiples. You can sell a few 8's but they don't like them as splits, end stain etc. can knock an 8' flitch out of the panel length market. Only a few 12' machines around so that length often gets discounted. 14' and 16' are sawlog lengths.

9',10',18', and 20' with plenty of trim is what they are hunting for.

Corley5

The successful buyer treats the ends if he feels the need. That's how it's done up here with northern hardwood. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Walnut Beast

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated! I'll keep you guys posted. 

ehp

We for sure do not get your guys walnut prices , but we live a ways away from your mills so trucking kills that . We have been seeing a few $10 plus stuff this winter but not alot of it . My biggest veneer sales have been white oak but still no where near your prices I see posted 

BargeMonkey

Friend of mine just averaged 460 straight thru on reasonably decent hard wood, pay the landowner, trucking, fuel, I'm good.

Doesn't play well with others after 10 days, going for 120 with 60+ left. I've been handing out FAFO stickers all week.  Deckhand comes to find me downstairs the other day and slips me a note 🤦‍♂️😆

Walnut Beast

Rhodemont

Last of the big dead Ash for this year.  I have been fretting about this one because center of gravity wanted it to come toward the yard and likely take out some fruit trees if not the barn .  I did not feel I would be able to reverse drop it without a problem so finally hooked the winch cable up about 15 feet and pulled/wedged it just where I wanted without too much damage to the stone wall.

Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Ron Scott

~Ron

Nebraska

Yes just a yard tree, behind what is our cabin up near Monowi NE. Green Ash had a rotten top blown out of it in a storm last spring. I had taken two big branches and a widow maker, off of the right side that over hung the house  and propane tank. Then I decided to take a picture. I wasn't planning on doing it this weekend as all I had for a saw up there was a 50cc firewood saw but the day was nice and I had good help so it was time.  I would like to say it went exactly where I wanted to make it fall but I missed my mark by about 20 degrees and it took more wedging to  get it over than I figured. My front notch just wasn't good enough, but still landed safe and didn't hit the trees beside it. I never post here because obviously I don't cut very many trees. Just wanted to say thank you though for the stuff I pick up here and there from you guys that actually do it day in and day out. 

Sorry the second picture was blurry.

BargeMonkey

I'm pretty sure the salesman from Saratoga Eagle that supplies our convenience store with beer is having a rough week.... going to hear from me tomorrow for sport. 

Continue the insanity. Doesn't matter the color paint, no one can keep help. The good deckhand on my regular boat just gave his 2wks, both guys here refused to stay over, don't have the people. Starting to throw big #'s again down in the GOM, physically allergic to anything south of I-10 / Fourchon, but I could afford CTL iron 😆. 

Hope those Westcoast union boys know that we appreciate the extra work. 

She's all excited, got her a new saw, all new husky gear at CJs, signed up for the GOL classes to get her TLC certification. I just bought 10x new timber mats for a gas line job I'm going to cut when I get home, she can wear the rust off the chains. 

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Old Greenhorn

Barge, what model saw is that? I can't quite read it.
 I'll be up in C'ville on Saturday doing that consult. You still figuring end of May for your parole? ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!