iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

Quote from: pineywoods on October 12, 2016, 09:26:33 AM
Harbor freight dust collector blower and 6 inch metal stove pipe. Couple of short pieces of flex hose where needed. Pics in my gallery and post in the sawmill threads..I just blow it in a pile out in the woods. The only problems I have had is a bad switch on the blower and the flex hose tearing after several years of use. Not much over $200 invested..
Looked at yours in your gallery! I liked how it looked. Did it have enough power to blow it a good ways away from the mill?
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

pineywoods

Quote from: Wallee on October 12, 2016, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on October 12, 2016, 09:26:33 AM
Harbor freight dust collector blower and 6 inch metal stove pipe. Couple of short pieces of flex hose where needed. Pics in my gallery and post in the sawmill threads..I just blow it in a pile out in the woods. The only problems I have had is a bad switch on the blower and the flex hose tearing after several years of use. Not much over $200 invested..
Looked at yours in your gallery! I liked how it looked. Did it have enough power to blow it a good ways away from the mill?

Plenty of power. The output side is about 35 feet. I had to put an elbow on the exit end to keep the sawdust in one pile. Otherwise it blows 50 feet or so from the exit end. I left the coarse filter in the inlet to the blower. Sometimes a piece of bark will hang there and plug things up. Better there than plug up the blower impeller...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

69bronco

Piney, did you run some ground wire?

4x4American

So today I had a logger delivering me a truck of logs and while we was chewing the fat he mentioned that he worked at a pallet mill back yonder and he said that had a elephant trunk pipe coming off the sawdust chute, had some pendulum type weight thing on one end that would pick it up when the headrig went fore or aft, and that it didn't have no blower, just the wind and chips flying from sawing pushed it out and he said it was slicker than the devil wearing velvet britches dipped in a pool of baby oil
Boy, back in my day..

pineywoods

Quote from: 69bronco on October 13, 2016, 12:09:08 PM
Piney, did you run some ground wire?

Nope, not needed, the pipe is metal...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

Quote from: 4x4American on October 13, 2016, 08:10:27 PM
So today I had a logger he said it was slicker than the devil wearing velvet britches dipped in a pool of baby oil

That is pretty slick!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

4x4American

I would say so!  I think that may be slicker than snot on a slip'n'slide, but I'm not 100% sure on that
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Dad would always say ''slicker than greased owl dodo''.

pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Wallee

Quote from: paul case on October 14, 2016, 08:12:52 PM
Dad would always say ''slicker than greased owl dodo''.

pc
Exactly as my grandpa would describe something!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Tried my new set up today and I'm loving it so far!

4x4American

8) 8) 8)   Looking great Wallee! 

What do you do with the jacket boards?
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on October 14, 2016, 10:45:25 PM
8) 8) 8)   Looking great Wallee! 

What do you do with the jacket boards?
I have a few lumber buyers. One for all the red/white oak, and another for the mixed species. Mixed usually winds up at covered furniture folks. I have a poplar buyer coming out to grade some logs and possibly start sawing for come Monday. Keep your fingers crossed for me in that one, I hope to develop a good working relationship with that company as well!

Wallee

Got a sharpener yesterday! Sharpened my first lad today! Problem is I don't know how much set to run in my 9 degree blades... can't find it anywhere online either. I set my caliper today and they are all reading .020 to .022
What should it be? Tried cutting with it and it ran uphill in first 5 inches. So I figured the set was out?

4x4American

Those 9 degree blades are useless anyways, IMO, scrap em!  I usually target .024".  Set gets blamed for things it didn't do alot of the times.  First, make sure it's charp...make sure all the teeth are evenly sharpened too.  But check the blade on the mill, put it up to tension and spin it around if you care to seat it.  Then take you a brandy new razor and set it across the blade, in the gullet, and shine a light.  If there is a crown, there's your problem.  You want it to be flat or a slight dish.  I'm not farmiliar with that sharpener, so I can't offer anything there
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I do not resharpen and set, but the 9° blade was not the problem.  Yes it has a shallower gullet, but I assume that you have been using 9° because you obviously ordered a 9° grinding wheel.

Go back to square one and verify that every tooth both left and right were set properly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on October 22, 2016, 11:10:26 PM
I do not resharpen and set, but the 9° blade was not the problem.  Yes it has a shallower gullet, but I assume that you have been using 9° because you obviously ordered a 9° grinding wheel.

Go back to square one and verify that every tooth both left and right were set properly.
that's the thing I'm doing tomorrow evening. I checked them at the above mentioned specs. Didn't know how much to put and left them at that. From further investigation tonight, I'm thinking I need to put the blade back on the setter and go over them all at around .025 hopefully this will solve it. On a side note... I noticed when my last band came off the mill, the last cant seemed to have a slight arch in the center at the end of the cut. Blade had to be raised 3/16 to clear. Causes?

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

I've cut with a blade set at .012" before for frozen.  I sawed with one at .015" the other day, I do notice that it leaves me a dish on the cant when I have too little set.  Maybe it would rise if you pushed the raker teeth all to one side..
Boy, back in my day..

dean herring

Just a suggestion but aren't cinder blocks supposed to be turned "holes up" to be stronger.
How do you like your skate rollers. I was looking to to the same.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

thecfarm

Yes,turned up to be stronger,but down down flat so they don't sink down into the ground.
I built a Women Cave the same way. Blocks about every 3 feet,no footing,just blocks. Not like 10,000 pounds is going to be on each one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Quote from: dean herring on October 23, 2016, 09:03:14 AM
Just a suggestion but aren't cinder blocks supposed to be turned "holes up" to be stronger.
How do you like your skate rollers. I was looking to to the same.

Here in Pa if you put the holes up and don't fill the holes or cover them
They will freeze brake.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Wallee

Long story short. Set was out. Fixed it and have sawed a bunch. Sharpened it again and still going strong!

Wallee

Anyone ever looked at baker bandmills? The 3638g seems to have a lot going for it at its price point.

red

So you went looking at Baker Sawmills and then never heard from again ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

paul case

How about an update here?

How is the tie selling going in your area? I hear some smaller mills are cut off from selling ties on your side of the big river.

Are you still able to keep logs coming in?

PC
pc

Thank You Sponsors!