iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New sawmill ordered, LT 15 GO!

Started by tobryant1, December 21, 2017, 08:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tobryant1

8) Hello everyone I am new to the forum here but I have been reading all sorts of posts for awhile getting valuable information.  Well as of yesterday it's official I ordered my mill and now I will be going stir crazy till I get it on the farm (February?).

So I'm not really new to running a mill, I have operated my father in law's TK 1220 for about 12 years and it has been great.  I always wanted my own mill but I could not justify the cost until now. We have a nice little dairy goat farm near Lucedale Mississippi that I am always building structures on.  My mother and father actually helped push me to the decision to get the mill now.  My mother got a quote on a horse barn she wanted build and it blew her mind.  I came along and made the off comment that I could build the structure for less if I had a sawmill, well one thing led to another and now I'm going to be cutting all the wood for her barn and raise the main structure.  She will contract out the finish work on the interior. 

The decision to get a Woodmizer LT 15 go over the Timber king 1220 was a hard one.  The each have their pros and cons.  It really came down to location and cost.  Most everything else was nearly the same in my opinion.  There is a Woodmizer dealer about 3 hours away and Woodmizer is running a pretty nice deal so that's what I'm getting.

I ordered the LT 15 go with the 10hp Yanmar diesel. There is not a ton of information out there on this setup, so when I get my mill I will post reviews on here and YouTube.  All my equipment is diesel my truck, tractor, generator and now my soon to be sawmill. 

My first project with the new mill will be a garage, then I'm going to start cutting for my mom's new barn.  Can't wait to make that sawdust fly!
Tennessee is the place for me

Massey Ferguson 2705e
Woodmizer LT15 go Diesel (sold)
Timberking 1400 Diesel
Timberking 2000 Diesel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 5.9 Cummins

Southside

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum.  As you already know you will enjoy your new Woodmizer.  I have had nothing but positive experiences when dealing with WM so I would expect it will be the same for you.  Everyone here loves pictures and videos - especially of those shiny, new mills.  Of course you will have to let us know when you decide to start making all the necessary modifications that WM does not include from the factory- such as partially sawn through log clamps, back stops, etc.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum tobryant1.  I have traveled through your area many times but you made me get the map out to fine Agricola.   ;D 

You should have plenty of SYP to do your building with but just be aware that plantation Pine will release stress as it is sawn and can give you some misery.  It's not unusual to have to turn it 180° after each board is sawn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum
That will take some time. From stump to building is slow. How will you get the logs out?I built a few things and my 40 hour a week job gets in the way too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tobryant1

Quote from: thecfarm on December 21, 2017, 09:52:14 PM
Welcome to the forum
That will take some time. From stump to building is slow. How will you get the logs out?I built a few things and my 40 hour a week job gets in the way too.

Currently I haul logs to my father in law's property every few months and return with tons of dimensional lumber.  I have enough 2x4 lumber to frame up a garage I will need to cut my 8x8 oak posts as soon as my mill is delivered.

Here is an example of the garage I want to build simple yet clean.

I also have a tractor to get lots where I need them.

Last load of wood I cut

My father in law's TK
Tennessee is the place for me

Massey Ferguson 2705e
Woodmizer LT15 go Diesel (sold)
Timberking 1400 Diesel
Timberking 2000 Diesel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 5.9 Cummins

Darrel

Welcome and congratulations on the new mill. You will be happy with your choice I'm sure.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!