iDRY Vacuum Kilns

'Nother New Laptop

Started by Magicman, May 19, 2018, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronwood

Sounds like a scam for sure!!
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Texas Ranger

I received the same call, MM, simple, just give us money, no problem. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

I am on my 3rd Toshiba laptop since 2000. None of them broke, just got slower as the next operating system consumed more bloat and ram. I threw away two working dinosaurs. :D

Hopefully, you will not go down for the 3rd count. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yup, that is what was wrong with my last Laptop.  It's belly was not large enough to digest what it was being fed.  It kept asking that I delete some files so that Win10 could make the latest update.  :o  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I think I'll dig out an old Commodore 64. Laugh, but some folks have even connected to the internet on those 35 year old clunkers. Well, just because they can. They're not doing Facebook though. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Well, I don't know.  Blue Screen Critical Failure, Stopcode: Memory Management.  I ran the Support Assist last night and it did a "file clean" and "performance tune".  I wonder if that caused the failure or if it is the same old, same old, again....again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Dell has reactivated the repair service number and are sending me a return box again....again.

Magicman

As per their instructions I removed the hard drive so that I would not loose my files, etc. and have the Laptop boxed and ready for it's return trip to Dell again....again.

Magicman

At least this is a well traveled Laptop.  It came back from Dell....again Friday so we shall see again....again....again.

The paperwork stated that they: plastics replaced, mechanical part replaced, main logic board replaced, memory replaced, clean system, tested for full functionality.

lxskllr

I'm pretty skeptical of "tuning" software. Dunno if that caused your issue, but I doubt it helped. MS has decent engineers that are paid good money to develop operating systems. Random third parties don't add much to the bottom line outside of exceptional circumstances. If it were me, I'd unistall anything that doesn't come with vanilla Windows,  and let the system take care of itself. Windows is pretty good anymore about not requiring user intervention.

My computer finally died this morning. I've been having issues for awhile. The MB has swollen caps, and components have been slowly giving up. I think the GFX card is what finally quit. I built that machine in 06. Not a bad run, especially considering it spent ≈8 years with a 30% overclock. Not sure what I'm doing yet. I'm not into hardware like I once was. I'll see what the pawnshop has. Get something cheap, move my drive over, and call it a day :shrugs:

Ianab

Quote from: lxskllr on July 15, 2018, 04:06:24 PM'm pretty skeptical of "tuning" software.

I'm 100% sceptical of that stuff. Best running systems are the clean ones, with the least unnecessary rubbish in the background. The big manufacturers are bad for loading machines down with bloatware, maybe to make people think they are getting something "extra" for their money?

A lot of the "Windows 10 upgrade problems" were due to the original bloatware being left on the machine during the upgrade, and some of it not being Win10 friendly, and some just being rubbish. Fixed a lot of those by wiping the disk and re-installing a clean Win10, with none of the bloatware. Machines ran fine after that.

Anyway, it sounds like MM basically has a "new" machine, just in the old case. A laptop really only has a system board, RAM and a hard disk that are the "computer" parts. The rest is screen and keyboard etc, which don't cause those problems. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

They replaced the hard drive the first time that the Laptop went back to Dell.  This time they let me keep the hard drive so that none of my files would be lost.  

Malwarebytes is the only extra that I have installed and they told me that it was OK.

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on July 15, 2018, 09:16:34 PMMalwarebytes is the only extra that I have installed and they told me that it was OK.

Yeah, that can be useful, and generally wont cause a problem. Probably better to not run it as a background task though, just as an "on demand" scanner to look for any crapware you may have picked up. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

It's the "premium" version and is set up to run/scan ~3:00 every morning.  

Magicman

Soooo. now on the 4th day it died again.....X4.   ::)

WDH

I wonder how far that you could throw it?  Just think of all the pleasurable things that you could do to break it into tiny pieces.  There is a thread here on charring wood.  Maybe you could char it :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

As per Dell's instructions today I have; RAM check, SFC, & IMEI.  I am now working on "fast startup".  

Magicman

I just got an email and Dell is escalating this to their " Resolution Experts", shall I say....again.  At least they are very prompt with there responses.

Magicman

After our latest exchange of email during which I was not so nice, well firm anyway, they are to schedule a home visit.   :P

ronwood

Magicman

Why don't Dell just give  you a new labtop?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Magicman

I asked for either a new Laptop or a refund back in June which prompted them to have me send it back again....again.  Everything in it has been replaced so I guess that is why they wanted me to reload the OS this morning.  I said no that enough was enough, and they came back with the "home visit" thing.

Yesterday's bluescreen critical failure said, Stopcode: Faulty hardware corrupted page.  This is the same Stopcode that I have seen several times in the past.

pineywoods

Lynn, you probably won't like what I'm gonna say, but here goes anyway. This sounds suspiciously like a dell problem I spent a lot of time on. This was a desktop, but same as a laptop except for case, screen and keyboard. It is my understanding that most everything has been changed out EXCEPT THE HARD DRIVE which holds all your personal files. There may be a copy of the cpu bios there also. If dell attempted to upgrade the cpu bios (supposedly to fix problems) and you got a corrupted copy, that corrupted copy would be written to the hard drive. Part of a recovery from a windows hiccup would be to reload the cpu bios from hard drive, with guess what, the corrupted copy. That's why changing the motherboard (which contains the cpu among other things) didn't fix the problem.

Therefore it might be advisable to save all your personal stuff if possible. The dell tech probably gonna change out the hard drive..
In theory, he could just download a good copy of bios and install it. I didn't have much luck doing that...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

It was my understanding that they replaced the hard drive the first time that it went back to Dell, but it doesn't matter to me.  This morning they wanted me to "create a Windows Recovery & Installation media" and "perform a fresh OS reinstallation on the system". 

That is when I balked and told them if they wanted that done they would have to do it.  I don't care if they wipe it clean because there is nothing here but my bookmarks and I established them so I can do it again.

IMERC

CCleaner can help tremendously w/ that ''bloat''...
the free version is all that is needed 99% of the time...
I've used it since '04 w/o issue..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

thecfarm

You are not having any luck with that thing. :(    Maybe you should stick to sawing. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79