iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

230 tj questions

Started by furltech, September 20, 2014, 03:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

Have been logging with an atv for the summer and thinking about purchasing a skidder .looking at a few 230 tj are there any weak points to look for and how do i know if it has a reliable winch .I assume most have the detroit. i am familiar enough  with the 353 as that is what was in my 230  porter .i assume they are basically the same machine just different uses, i am just not sure of the winches and any other problems a skidder might have that spent its life pulling rather than carrying. thanks in advance for any help the knowledge base of the forum has . 

Neilo

You are right, all 230 skidders came with a 353.

Try and use the winch to see if it pulls and holds a load. Check for leaks from the winch brake cylinder, clutch cylinder and the base of the left side. It should have special worm oil in the case on the left. The 'out' on the control lever is freespool, in is out if the tranny is in reverse. to winch, transfer in neutral, tranny in gear and control to 'in'.

They are a pretty simple winch

timberlinetree

Ours (hercules)works better than the gear o matic we had ,but have only had the tj for a year.good luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

furltech

if the winch has problems are they a real hard thing to fix .i mean not all banged up but most normal problems .the only other thing i guess other than the engine and tranny would be the hubs and things .

Maine logger88

Eaton/Hercules winches are a good winch and very easy to work on. But make sure you run the right oil in them or you will ruin the brass gear and that is very costly 1400 if I remember right
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lynde37avery

Get one with Eaton axles. Much stronger planetary gears. Most parts for a 230 are an easy find. No weak points really. The person that design timberjack did it right the first time around.  ;D
Detroit WHAT?

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

David-L

IMO,its the most reasonable machine of there age to run in the woods and make a paycheck. simple and easy to work on. parts are still available for the 200 series and they are hard to tip and easy to get on and off. I have enjoyed the ones I have fixed up and sold but now have a keeper. 1978 225 D model with Eatons. The 16.9x30 rubber is growing on me everyday also. Good luck. Some machines I have owned. Currently have the 225D and love it. 230A with a 353 and a 225A with a duetz.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

furltech

Ok what is the right oil to put in the winch .Thanks for the help so far guys .

Neilo

There is a discussion on oil for the winch here, and I give a few options. If you can get the right oil, I would avoid using the wrong stuff, but up to you.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60228.0.html

furltech

so when you guys are talking eaton axles .are they sooo much better or somewhat better if you know what i mean .I cant see the skidder having to pull any super heavy skids we mostly just cut small spruce and poplar . But thought i would ask before i jumped the gun

Pa woodchuck

Furltech, when i started driving my dads skidder he gave me a few rules. Dont overload the skidder, don't run over stuff all  the time, keep your skid road clean, always keep the rearend pointed toward the hitch when winching and on sharp corners drop your hitch to take the weight of the axles. That was 29 years ago and I have never had to work on the rearend of any skidder. Im not saying you wont but taking a few precautions prevents alot of abuse .

Maine logger88

Eaton's are better but but rockwells are plenty tough plus as pa woodchuck said just use your head and you shouldn't have any problems
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

furltech

thanks guys for the feedback

tj240

spining tires when you aren't moving will kill any planetary
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!