iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw mills

Started by Kevin, May 10, 2001, 09:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Hello folks, are there any chainsaw mill operators in here?

Jeff

Kevin, First welcome! Second, how dpo you think a rig like yours would work for 2 siding logs for a log cabin. Look here for an example of what I mean.

https://forestryforum.com/windyhill/tutorials/buttandpass/buttandpass.htm
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Jeff;
Thanks for the invite, if we`re talking stringers for  the cabin to sit on it`s no problem at all.
It`s easy to slab a log like this one ...

I just made a couple of these stringers for a bridge into my camp then milled the planks to go on top, I`ll be working on that this weekend.

Jeff

What is your degree of accuracy? If I want to 2 side those logs to 8 inchs thick, can a chainsaw mill do it without taper to length or side to side? These logs lay up sort of like brick, so I am looking for a very uniform cut. I could do it on our headrig, but then I have the hassle of multiple times the logs would have to be transported. How fast could one do say, a 16 ft log?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

It`s as true as any band mill if you take the time and set up the first cut with a good slabbing rail such as the one I made or similar.
You need a few shims or wedges in certain places.
You can`t beat it for areas that are hard to access not to mention the mill sells for about a hundred and forty bucks.
If you follow my pictures all the way through you`ll see how I set up and it works really well.
As for speed it depends on whether you have an extra hand and an extra saw.
If you have two saws you can use two mills without changing back and forth.
Ripping takes about two and half to three minutes for a 16` cedar log 12" in dia.

Kevin

Here`s a picture taken this past weekend while I was edging some planks for a bridge.

Removing the ends.

Tom

Kevin,
I have run a Woodmizer since '90 and it and a Baker for the last 2 years.  Even though I couldn't get the production out of a Chainsaw mill I have always admired their ability to go to the woods (and tight backyards).

There seems to be a competition amongst owners of different styles of mills but I'm not one to partake.  They all have their place and I am anxious to hear more about your operation as time goes on.

I was called to a job this afternoon that would have been perfect for a Chainsaw.  The log was a  14" black gum that had lost its top.  No equipment to move the log, no way to get a trailored mill in the backyard and manicured grass and flowers everywhere.

I lucked up. After explaining to him what a black gum was (he thought it was an oak) he decided that he didn't want to cut it.

A chainsaw mill would have gotten him a beam or two for his workshop.

Kevin

Tom,
I was at a Wood-Mizer demo day two weeks ago and had a great time.
I`m considering  the LT15.
I have some pictures from the demo and I`ll be adding them to my web site soon.

The finished bridge project and a cold pop!   8)

UNCLEBUCK

I know this is a old thread but its also awesome and was wondering why I can only see 2 pictures and would like to see the rest but they wont come up even when I click the red x and click show picture, I think this is beyond awesome, thanks Kevin , just found this thread !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

This is an example of what happens when you link to another site for photos rather than put the picture on the Forestry Forum Photo Gallery.  The pictures in question were put on anther photo site and eventually deleted, probably to make room for more pictures or perhaps the photo site was replaced with another site.   When that happened the thread with the Url to the original site was broken.  Unless the owner of the picture updates his posts, there is no way for members to see these pictures any longer.

This member has a website where you might find the pictures.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/kvn.rob/millingmasters.html

UNCLEBUCK

ok thanks for the info Tom , sure is a interesting thread :P

Tom

Yes, it is an interesting thread.  Kevin has come a long way since he started this thread.  He was  a chain saw miller until he got the lt15.  From all we hear, he is doing quite well with it.  He has an article written about his exploits in the Wood Mizer magazine.  You can find it on the Wood Mizer website.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Rather than have me clutter up this thread with repeats of my old stuff - a practice which administrators, understandably, don't like, let me make a suggestion:    :)
 1.  Click on my user name (in the upper left corner)
 2.  You will be taken to the user profile.  Scroll down to
         "Additional Information".
 3.  Put a large number in the block to show previous posts
           and click the button.
 4.  You will find that many of my posts relate to chainsaw
           milling.
 5.  If you click on the title of any of those posts, you will be
            taken to the complete thread!
Amazing to me !        : :o
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Tom

You will notice that there are some little icons on the left of the page just above "gender":.  They occur on each post and are shortcuts to those things the poster has made public, Profile, website, email (maybe), etc.

UNCLEBUCK

Oh o.k Phil , thanks for the info , I found this thread on page 70 and responded to it so it automatically brought it up to page 1 ,  I guess I should just read the threads from now on not respond so it dont clutter up the forum front page with stuff like guessing the size of a log pile 3 pages long , thank you very much and sorry for the clutter !  :P

Tom

Clutter!!!

You aren't a valid member unless you earn your cluttering license.  :D

This is supposed to be fun and bringing up old posts helps to make it so. More folks should spend some time in the back pages. There is a lot of entertainment there.

Thanks for bringing Kevin's post to the fore front.   That was back before he got his LT15 and I'll bet he even forgets how excited he was when he got it. :) :)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Don't get me wrong,  Uncle Buck,    I don't mind rehashing stuff,  A-Tall.  

As a matter of fact,  I spent a few hours tearing down my Stihl 090 and Granberg frame today,  after church & a short nap, of course.  I had gone too long without  the critical regular maintainance items:
        De-burring the bar
               Cleaning and inspecting the bar groove
                    Pulling the clutch/spur assembly for lube
                           Pulling the shroud and cleaning cyl. fins
Everything looked pretty good, but the wear on the spur gear reinforced my thought that getting a rim-drive set up is going to be a must.   Cutting 30"+ White Oak and Live Oak is just plain rough!
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks for words of encouragement Tom   ;) sincerely U.B.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey,  you mean somebody has a thread about guessing the size of a log pile?  Gee whiz !
         ::)
I just love piles of logs!
Phil L.

Thank You Sponsors!