iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biting off more than I can chew

Started by dandrbarbee, June 06, 2001, 09:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandrbarbee

I recently come of a good deal on some large red oak logs.  They measure about 40" on the small end.  I have a woodmizer lt40 a cann't cut anything bigger than 36".  What is the best method for sizing down this log?  Cut it in half with a chainsaw?  Trim the sides with chainsaw?  Any suggestions?

David Barbee

Kevin

If it was me, I would take the sides off with my Mini Mill and chainsaw.

Ron Wenrich

Cutting in half won't remedy your situation.  You will then have 2 logs that will be too big when you turn them up.

You could cut one side so your saw reaches.  You will also have to trim your end up so it clears.

Then you make as many cuts as you can until the saw won't clear in width.  Then make a 1/8th turn.  Then cut more, then another 1/8th turn.

Keep doing this until you can clear with your saw.  Then you can saw like a regular log.

This is known as shotgun barreling a log.  I do this quite a bit, since my saw only reaches 21".  Often I'll slab the bell, then lay it back so I can clear without having anything hanging after the cut.  I'm running a circle mill.

I sure hope you can turn that monster.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

If you split the log with a chainsaw then you may as well make up your mind to quarter it.  Too much work for me unless it was a monstrous 6 or 8 footer.

If I can clear the top of the log with the yoke of the mill (LT40) then I would prefer to cut from the top down and chainsaw and/or hew with an ax a trough for the blade guide to follow.  A cantilever mill has the good fortune of  not getting the posts hung up on the idle side because there are no post.

After I cut the log down to a height that approximated the max. width of the throat (25") I would turn the log 90 degrees. ( this can be a real effort)

Then I would do the same thing until I reached the size of the throat of the mill again, perhaps a little smaller.

When I turned the log 90 degrees again I would have a log that would fit the mill.

Anytime you are working with logs this size, especially with a portable mill, be very careful.  It only takes one split second and one mistake to put you or your help in jeopardy.

Kevin

Adda boy Bobby, another Alaskan Mill`r, YIPPEE!
Lets give these circ boys a run for their lumber!

Jeff

He only uses it to chop the log down to size Kev, check his website, Bob's a woodmizer guy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TnSawyer

Thank You Sponsors!