iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doing it the old fashioned way

Started by Qweaver, November 12, 2007, 07:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We made apple butter Saturday and it is really good. But I just had to put pencil to paper on this one.  We drove 60 miles each way to a friends farm to get the apples ( 120/17 x $3= $21 for fuel)  New copper kettle & stand $450.  Sugar, cinnamin oil, vinegar, ect.  $10.  The fire wood and stirrer came from the off-cuts pile so no charge.  Two days labor by 4 people...no charge except for a share of the finished product.  Yield= 64 pints. Final cost per pint= $7.42  :D  Actually we'll keep the kettle and hand it down in the family for several lifetimes so we can just ignore that cost, so it comes out to just 48 cents per pint. :D :D Fellowship, fun and really good eating = Priceless.
We even got some work out of the preacher.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Dan_Shade

apple butter making is good times for sure!

where did you find the kettle?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Warbird

Mmmm Mmmm.  Sounds like y'all had a great time and made some great food.  Congrats!  Although you shoulda just made yer own copper kettle!  ;)

Sprucegum

HEY!? What's goin' on here?

I have heard the words apple and butter being bandied about before but never realized it was outdoor-cooking kinda fun.

Is there a recipe, a process, a family secret for making the best?

Can you keep it? How long? How do you eat it? What's your favorite?

sawguy21

I have never had it either but sure sounds good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Coon

Hey, that makes three of us that want to know more about making some of our own .    ;D ;D ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

tcsmpsi

Most especially good with Grits.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

thedeeredude

Apple butter was a staple of the Pennsylvania Germans.  I can take it or leave it.  I guess I should like it more since its in my blood :D

RSteiner

My wife did it kind of the old fashion way.  The house next to us has an old applr tree that had a lot of fruit this year, they don't do anything with the apples.  She peeled and cored close to two bushels.

On top of the old Glenwood kitchen wood cook stove she turned 3/4 of the apple into applesauce and the rest into apple butter.  The apple butter she did finish off in the electric oven as that takes a bit longer to cook.

Sure does taste good on what ever you like.

Randy
Randy

Warbird

There's nothing like fresh homemade biscuits smothered in apple butter.  Mmmmm Mmmmmm.

customsawyer

I just ate and you guys are making me hungry again. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Glenwood kitchen stove,apple butter,what a match.We have a home clarion kitchen stove.My wife did not use that to make our apple butter. When she was doing all this temps was in the 70's at that time.She cheated and used the gas stove.
Glad you had some fun,Qweaver.Your place is looking good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Frickman

You fellows up north have never had apple butter? You don't know what you're missing. It's a staple here in Pennsylvania, every kitchen has at leats one jar. It's basically boiled down apple sauce with some spices thrown in. In the old days it was a good way to preserve apples for a long winter.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

ohsoloco

I've seen people eat it on top of cottage cheese (haven't tried that one  :-\ ), but i think it's just fine slathered on a piece of bread or toast.  Actually, it's pretty DanG good eaten right out of the jar with a spoon  :D

Sprucegum

My apple crop is all done and gone this year, guess next year I'll try to butter one  :P  ???

Qweaver

I'll post our way of making apple butter later today.  I'm trying to finish up our indoor shower and after three days without a shower...my crew is pushing me to get it done.

But just a question here.  The Food topics are only open to members.  So I posted this thread in the general topics so that family and friends that had an interest in our apple butter event could read about it.  This thread did not really start out as a "food" thread, but more as a report on a fun event that we had.  The General Topic states that we can discuss anything at all there and it can be read by all.  I can understand moving threads from other topics that address specific topics but when I place something in the General area...I'd think it would stay there.  It's no real big thing,  but it's awkward to direct friends to a post that includes them or something that is of interest to them only to have them unable to find the post.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

Well, here it is.
                                 Mrs. Ware's Apple butter recipe

4 bushels of cooking apples
Cook and strain apples the day before
Use 3 lbs of sugar per gallon of applesauce (use less if the apples are sweet)
1 quart of apple cider vinegar & 1 cup salt to clean the copper kittle.  Pour out and rinse with water.
1 quart of apple cider vinegar will also be added to the apple butter.
4 bottles of cinnamon oil (Buy at Kroger's or drug store.)

On the day of cooking
Start the fire and place the copper kittle over it. Add the vinegar and salt to clean the kettle then rinse with water.
Add the cooked applesauce and start stirring. Add 1quart of vinegar, slowly add the sugar. Keep stirring for about 6 to 7 hours.
Cook until the sauce turns dark and thick. It will look wrinkled on the top of the kettle as it cooks.
Test by putting some on a paper plate and see if it appears thick when it cools. You can also run your finger through the sauce on the plate and see if it stays apart. Be careful it is hot.
When it is thick enough pull the hot coals away from the pot and add the cinnamon oil. Taste as you add the oil for your liking. Mix well.
Pour into pint jars and seal.
Makes about 64 pints

Notes:  I used a 15 gallon copper kettle
You may add more applesauce as the mixture cooks down to increase the yield. I do not like my apple butter too sweet so I taste it as I add sugar.
We started the fire about 8am and finished about 4pm.
You will need to prepare your canning jars ahead of time. Be sure you have your rings and seals.
Remember to invite all your friends to help stir. Make a big pot of chili and have lots of hot coffee.
This is a wonderful time of fellowship with your friends and family.

From the desk of Sarah and Quinton Weaver

Furby

Quote from: Qweaver on November 13, 2007, 01:06:27 PM
it's awkward to direct friends to a post that includes them or something that is of interest to them only to have them unable to find the post.

Sign them up. :)

What's the point in having different boards if no one is going to respect them?

Qweaver

Actually Furby, there is another solution...I'l just post my food and fun items to another place where my friends and family can see them without having to sign-up.  Why should someone that has absolutely no interest in Forestry take the time to sign-up when thay may never come to this site again.  Our preacher that was shown in the picture has no need to sign-up but I'd have liked for him to be able to see the post...which is why I placed it in the General Topic in the first place.  I was just going by the "you can discuss anything here" statement.   Again, no real biggie.  BTW, a quick look at the forum topics shows me that the VAST majority of posts are on topic as opposed to your view as stated in your last post.   Making the food topic open to all would seem like a reasonable solution also.  I really enjoy the Forestry Forums  and I'd don't want to cause ill will with this post...I'm just explaining my feeling on this. 
Quinton

beenthere

Qweaver
For the preacher and friends you trust, just tell them your forum name and password, and email them the URL so they can see themselves in print. I'd assume you can trust the preacher and friends.
But I agree with the present policy of the admins...they make good choices, and some of them are hard choices that do not fit every circumstance (such as your special case).  Glad you don't see it as a major problem. It was a good post about the apple butter, and seeing a preacher work... ;D ;D

Who knows, maybe you'll hook the preacher on the Forum... :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!