iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln Venting in Winter

Started by YellowHammer, February 15, 2011, 01:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I've been tryng to optimize the drying potential of my solar kiln this winter and need some advice on the tradeoff of almost completely closing the vents and trying to get maximum temperature in the kiln, which seems to best draw the water out of the wood, but then seems to trap humid air in the kiln (because vents are virtually closed) or opening the vents enough to release the humid air coming off the wood but live with 20 or so degrees cooler kiln temps because of the cold winter air exchange?  For example, this last weekend the outside air temp climbed from 40's to low 50's, with the kiln is getting about 120 degrees with the vents barely cracked and about 100 degrees with the vents more open. This is air dried wood that I'm trying to kiln finish. Does the fact that I have condensation on the inside of the glazing the next morning indicate I need to open the vents more, regardless of the kin temp?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

I'm interested in the answers to this because I'm a newbie at drying, too. My kiln is a DH kiln (with room DHer) and I vent it when the RH goes up even though I lose heat. The conventional wisdom says you don't have to vent a DH kiln because the DH condenses moisture, but I have found that if I vent, the load dries faster (maybe because a room DH is inefficient at condensation at high temp). All this is to say that I think it would be even more important to vent a solar kiln because there is no other way to get rid of the moisture. Wait til more experienced FFers chime in rather than take my experience as sound.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Den Socling

Simply stated, RH has a greater influence on EMC than does Temperature. So venting until you start to lose too much heat will dry faster.

Another way might be this. I know a guy who swears that humidity "dumps" are the way to go. He lets humidity build up and then opens the vents wide

flibob

Several FF members have posted good info on this subject.  They have really documented the subject well.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Radar67

There are a few members who use a dehumidifier in their solar kilns with no venting at all.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thank You Sponsors!