iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HVAC question

Started by Banjo picker, July 22, 2020, 05:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I know we have some hvac folks on here and I have a question.  Can't find the answer on internet so I think my odds are better here.  We have a rental that we put a new window ac in 2 years ago.  GE model number Ahs18dxl1. The compressor and fan run fine and it cools great.  Blows snowballs... well almost.  Trouble is the touch pads don't work.  Non of them.  If the main control panel is shot would it still cool?  Any inside would be appreciated.  If you know the hvac folks on here, how about please directing them to this topic.  Going to open it up this afternoon and see if anything visible shows before I start throwing parts at it.  This is a fair sized unit. Paid between 5&6 hundred for it not one of the throw away little ones.  This is one time I should have bought the extended warranty.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Raider Bill

Don't know the answer but I feel your pain!
My rental wall or window shakers give me the most problems. Mostly due to nasty people that do not keep them clean.
Between cat hair, people dander and cooking everything in grease seems like I'm constantly cleaning evaps.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Banjo picker

I took one semester of HVAC at the local junior college back in the day, but things have changed, plus I didn't learn much.  This one comes on and blows cold air ...you just can't control it.  The lady has animals, but the place is spotless and everything on the unit is clean.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Larry

I have an LG in the shop with a touch pad that quick working after about a year.  The funny thing is the remote control works just fine. 

I think the one I had previous to this one also had the same problem. 

Might be the caused by the shop environment.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Banjo picker

There has been two renters in there since we put it in.... one of them must of "mistakenly" taken the remote when they moved.  Tim

K-Guy

What you have is more of a controls problem not an HVAC one. See if you can get a wiring diagram and rewire it to a thermostat capable of cooling.  smiley_wavy
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Banjo picker

I am doubling down on Larry's idea.  I ordered the remote control for it today.  🙂. Gonna try that before I tear into it.  Tim

Magicman

I suppose you tried completely unplugging the unit.  Sometimes it works when today's electronics get out of whack.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Yes we tried that several times.  Thanks Tim

Magicman

Well, so much for "easy".  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

The touch pads on these is usually a plug in affair. Most of those do-hickeys have little plugs on them, some like a ribbon cable. If you pull the fromt panel off andcan get access to it, follow the cable and check the little plug. If that isn't it search for numbers, you might just be able to get a new touch pad cheap-ish.
 Actually it was so easy I just did it. Went to the GE support site and looked at the parts diagram. I believe the part you want is the display board, p/n WJ26X20184 about 47 bucks.
Here is the page link, hope this helps: LINK
Good luck,
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Banjo picker

I ordered a new main board, control board and a new thermostat.  Installed them and it's a working model again.  The remote didn't do the job.   I also didn't need the thermostat as the main board came with one, but the cost was 15 bucks and the restocking fee is fifteen bucks...so oh well.  Ended up with between 125 and 150 in parts, but it was a 500 + unit.  Do I guess money well spent.  Tim

Thank You Sponsors!