iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice on a new Stihl Chainsaw

Started by bkkraft, December 23, 2005, 12:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkkraft

I just recently purchased a new Stihl MS 250 from my local dealer.  I purchased the saw to mainly cut firewood (2-3 truckloads a year) and to use around my home.  I found this forum after my purchase and I am agonizing over whether or not I made the right choice.  I have used the saw once and it performed great.  I have no complaints with the saw, but only using it once I don't have much to base it's performance on.  I am the type of person, that when it comes to tools, I will buy the best no matter what the cost because I want it to last me a lifetime.  Did I make the right choice or should I have put out the extra cash for the MS 260?  Or would the MS 260 be over kill for my application.

Any and all comments welcomed.

Rocky_J

The MS250 is a great lightweight saw. If it's got enough power for you then you're set. The MS260 has more power, but it's also heavier and more expensive. I had an 025 that I used for 7 years commercially, and I had bought it used from a pawn shop. They are very durable and capable 'homeowner' saws.

Ianab

QuoteI purchased the saw to mainly cut firewood (2-3 truckloads a year) and to use around my home.

Thats what Stihl designed the saw for  :)

The 260 is designed as a professional saw to be used every day. It's a little heavier, a little more powerfull and hopefully more durable. Of course it also costs a lot more too.

Providing it's big enough to handle the wood you are cutting and you look after it. (Keep it sharp, clean and running good gas mix) it should give you good service.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Quote from: bkkraft on December 23, 2005, 12:06:54 PM
I just recently purchased a new Stihl MS 250 from my local dealer.  I purchased the saw to mainly cut firewood (2-3 truckloads a year) and to use around my home. ........... and I am agonizing over whether or not I made the right choice. ......
Any and all comments welcomed.

I'd suggest not agonizing over your purchase, but go use it to saw wood. After you have been using it for awhile, you will know more about the saw, and whether you want a bigger one or not. Be happy with your decision, until you learn otherwise. We can't make you happier nor would we want you to feel like the saw you purchased would (or wouldn't) be the one we might have purchased. Our preferences likely are not the same as yours. Now, go saw some wood and let us know what you think of it. In the meantime, I'll go saw some wood with my MS360 and not agonize once about whether I made the right decision.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bkkraft

Thank you for the response and advise.  I will let the wood chips fly and let you know what I think of the saw after the winter season.

Everyone have a happy holiday.

8)

Striker

It should be a good saw that lasts for many years.

Jeff

Bernhard

Stihl 028, bought 1985, still working at commercial landscaping business and for making firewood.Any Questions left? ;)

jokers

Quote from: Bernhard_II on December 28, 2005, 03:52:26 AM
Stihl 028, bought 1985, still working at commercial landscaping business and for making firewood.Any Questions left? ;)

Yeah, what does an 028 have to do with an ms250? ;)

bkkraft, enjoy your new saw and don`t second gues yourself and try to go back in time. The 250 is a very good saw for your stated purpose.

Russ

rebocardo

That is not a lot of wood for the saw. I would say you are good to go. For light firewood duty, pretty much anything with a 14" bar or longer is enough if you are only doing a few cords a year.

fishhuntcutwood

Yeah, don't worry about it.  You said it yourself-it cuts fine for you, and works well, with no complaints.  There will always be a better/bigger/badder/faster saw out there, but untill all of us own 880s we'll all make due with what we have.  The 250 is a fine saw for what you're doing.  If you want to upgrade someday, there'll always be a saw to step up into.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Bernhard

Yeah, what does an 028 have to do with an ms250?

In fact nothing, I only wanted to say, that good care will give a long life to a good saw!! An buying a Stihl always is a good decision.
I don´t think, that the 260 is oversized, compared to the 250, both do a good Job. Finally it´s a price decision.
Yes, I´m a honest Stihl guy. All my saws and trimmers are made by Stihl, but this only has to do with the dealer, not with the brand.
Husky, Dolmar, Solo (and infact we had Solo in former years) they all made saws which are worth their money.

BikePilot

The 250 should be fine as long as you don't have huge logs to cut. The importaint thing is to keep a good sharp, well oil chain on it. I can't belive how often I see a large, expensive saw with a sorry, dull chain and worn out bar on it.

Oh, btw the saw probably came with a RM2 chain (i.e. semi-chisel chain with anit kick-back safty bits). IMO these chains are not very good. Just seem to cut really slowly and bog the saw down. I would recomend swapping to a regular RM style chain (semi-chisel, without the anti-kickback stuff) or an RS style chain (i.e. full chisel) if you are comfortable running a regular non-safty chain (which isn't a big deal imo). For reference, my 038 Magnum came with a RM2 chain, with it fairly sharp that saw seemed to cut about like a 028 with a sharp full chisel. The first cut I made I thought something was wrong with the saw but fortunately before digging into it further, I decided to put on my usual style chain and almost magically the saw was cutting great. Even with the bar fully burried in oak the saw didn't bog:)

good luck and have fun.

BikePilot

One more option I just thought of would be a narrow chain like the picco series chains. These chains cut a narrower kerf and should improve the peroformance of a smaller saw.

Have fun

sawguy21

The picco is really not aggressive enough to take advantage of the 250's power. If you are referring to the mini-picco, .043, it is o.k. for the hobbyist with a MS170/180 but I have had complaints from framers and HVAC installers that it breaks too easily. Doesn't get along well with nails or knots.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

As several others have said, there isn't anything wrong with the 250. It serves its intended purpose as a high quality homeowner saw quite well. If your saw has the QCA, don't let it discurage you conserning proper bar maintenance (it tends to do so).

What is not so good is that Stihl doesn't offer what would probably be the best cutting attachment for the 250, and probably also the 260.

What I am talking about is the .325 Narrow kerf setup, which fills the niche between the 3/8" Picco/low profile and the regular .325.
Such setups are available from Oregon and Carlton/Woodsmanpro for the 260, and at least from Oregon for the 250 also. The Oregon chain (95VP) has a low-vibe chassis, and is a fast and smooth chain to cut with. I have never tried the Woodsmanpro, but it does not have a low-vibe chassis.

FF sponsor Baileys sell both Oregon and Carlton/Woodsmanpro.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!