iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

haulin logs

Started by Don R, May 29, 2005, 09:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don R

I've been thinking about welding up a log or pole trailer. Similar to what the utility company uses to run one or two poles around. It has the front hitch part, and the rear wheel part, and uses the logs as the frame. does anyone have any photo's or plans, or ideas on one of these. Thanks Don

rebocardo

It is probably illegal to put on on the road for anyone other then a utility company. FMVSS 2002 goes into multiple part trailers, though I am not sure it is meant to apply to what you are referring to. I know the GA DOT rules give wide latitude to farm implements not used on the highway and will let a farm haul just about anything down the road.

One of my main concerns would be what would happen if a not so bright person rear ended it and sent the log through the rear of your cab.

Any decent sized pole will be 2-3k pounds, so would that mean in your state having to have brakes?

Don R

Very interesting, I think I will discuss this with a trooper friend of mine before investing the time and $ into it. Thanks for the advice.

footer

Don't just take a troopers word unless he is from the carrier enforcement devision. There are soo many different rules that a regular trooper might not have all the right answers. I would stop into a scale house, or call the carrier enforcement.

mike_van

Don, here's a quick run down of my 33 years [to date] with pole trailers. When I started, we had just the "dinky" trailer. Every time we moved a pole, a 3' long 85 pound drawbar w/pintle eye had to be attached. When done, the dinky had it's own pintle, it hooked right on the truck. Pain in the butt.  We started leaving a "draw pole" on all the time, a 35' one.  If it was balanced just right, it worked good.  That was until they went to CCA poles. We had two snap off, right behind the drawbar. The saftey chains were on the bar too. One went off the road, thank God it never hit anyone, a car, or house. The CCA is too dry & brittle. Here in Connecticut anyway, we now have to use a rigid beam trailer, about a 6x6 steel tube, probably 25' long, but it telescopes too so you won't be tail heavy on a 45' & up pole.  Me, I wouldn't use one for logs, maybe out in the woods, but not on the highway. They roll over easy too, narrow wheelbase. Everyone in the line gang had rolled the old one at least once.  I would check DMV in Virginia before I spent any $$$$$.  Some utilities do have equipment auctions, you might get one for a song, just hope it's not a sad one!!!! :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!