iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some ID help

Started by archeryplus, March 26, 2024, 09:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

A picture can not get much better than that and I see the open pores of Red Oak.  The few not open are probably clogged with sawdust.  You did good.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Very nice.  now if I just knew how to ID wood. :uhoh:   :usa:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ron Scott

~Ron

Don P

Yup to RO. The bark will help if you want to go finer than that.
This is another RO scan I had in my gallery;

And white oak, see the vessels are plugged with tyloses... I have tighter scans if that is of interest. but I think you can see the difference. I knew from the bark it was a red but you don't always have bark.

Hmm, I don't have an elm scan. There might be a stick or 2 in the barn.

So with this magnification, lemme splain something I've run into so often in old work  had to look it up and read about it from multiple sources, because it goes against conventional "wisdom".

In relatively fast grown ring porous woods, which describes both of my samples. The proportion of earlywood, thin walled vessels is relatively low in proportion to the strong, solid, latewood cells. In slow growth, old growth, the proportion of weak vessels approaches 50%. A typical faster grown ring porous hardwood is stronger than an old growth tree. The lower density old growth is more dimensionally stable, wood shrinks not air, well, within this discussion. When people say old growth is better wood, it isn't that simple.

Don P

I found the little jag of American Elm, and the next bonfire starter. I saw some old growth red oak while in the shop, this was actually not too bad but I think you can see the trend that as those types of wood get more rings per inch, the proportion of latewood is lower, the density and strength goes down.

This guide shows elm's ulmiform pore structure, the wavy gravy in the latewood really well
https://extension.msstate.edu/sites/default/files/publications/publications/p2606.pdf

A ID key here;
https://woodidentification.net/identification-key/

Thank You Sponsors!