iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stickering after air dry

Started by Downstream, June 16, 2019, 12:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

Curious about general practice.  I am getting ready to move some live edge slabs and cookies that have been air drying for a couple of years into a new portable storage shed.  Once they have air dried as far as they are do you still sticker them after moving into storage shed or dead stack without stickers.  I also built a vertical slab storage rack in this area so some will stand up.  I will post photo of portable shed and rack.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Downstream

Here is my portable shed and rack.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

farmfromkansas

Air dried wood no longer needs to be stickered.  If you are worried a storm may carry off your portable building, maybe stickers would not be bad insurance.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Downstream

Not to worried about shed blowing away.  It is auger staked on all 4 corners along with being wind protected by woods and workshop/house.  I was willing to try it for short term storage since fairly inexpensive and easy solution for needs right now.  Also does not trigger property tax re-assessment which any wood structure over 10x10, even shed on skids, triggers. 

kelLOGg

I would provide ventilation without allowing rain to enter. Tight construction will trap moisture inside and raise the MC of the lumber. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Stickers are only useful when the wood is drying.  The stickers hold the lumber flat and allow the air to move through the pile, bringing in heat energy to evaporate water and to carry moisture out of the pile.  When the wood is under 22% MC throughout, it no longer has a risk of getting mold, mildew or rot if it stays under 22% MC.

The EMC in you tent shed is likely around 11% EMC (a little drier than outside), so unless the air-dried wood is at 11% MC throughout, it will change MC.  The stickers would be useful then.

The rack you have that allows the pieces to be stacked vertically is good looking.  I have seen these racks used for air drying as well.  This is called an A frame and the drying process is called end racking.  As each piece is well exposed to the outside air, air drying is fast.  Warp control is difficult however.  Keeping the ends of the lumber out of the dirt is important.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Downstream

thanks for comments.  i may want to ad a flo-thru vent on back wall to promote air flow.  only wood that has air dried for a couple of years already will go in here mostly as a staging area before i use them in projects.  i have a corner of my woodshop being consumed by these items now so want to free that area up for woodworking.

Brad_bb

If water, like rain does get to the stack, being dead stacked will cause mold growth on the outside of the wood and will continue between where moisture is trapped.  I have a stack that is outside out of the sun under the shade of trees.  It's stickered so although it gets wet, it dries.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

customsawyer

I would be worried about moisture coming up from the ground in that shed.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!