iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw bar questions

Started by timber tramp, January 29, 2009, 12:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timber tramp

Has anyone built a jig to grind bar rails with a bench grinder?

Or maybe with an angle grinder?

Also has anyone heard of General Chain Bar Co.? I've got one of their bars, works great, just wondered if anyone else used these bars.    Thanks, TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Ed

For a bench grinder to work, you would need to use the side of the wheel, not the face. A plate for the bar to ride on, set above center (to avoid the arbor nut) would be easiest. I imagine getting the side of the wheel dressed perfectly flat may be a little tricky, but not impossible. Even though you aren't supposed to grind on the sides of a wheel, your not hogging off lots material, so it should work.

I wouldn't even attempt to rig up an angle grinder to do it.

I've never heard of the General chain bar company.

Ed

stonebroke

I just freehand it with a four inch angle grinder. If you don't get it the first time try again. Better than throwing  the bar out.

Stonebroke

ErikC

If you have a bigger bench grinder, like 8", the wheel has enough circumfrence to get the rails true. A jig would be easy. But a bench belt grinder would be even better. That's what I use, it has a flat face with an adjustable rest. Square it up with the machine off, set it good and tight, grind away. Don't overheat your rails though. It only takes a light touchup usually. I think I spent under $100 for mine from Grizzly.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

timber tramp

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)  When you grind the rails do you  check them with a straight edge, or just eyeball 'em? I may be over thinking this a bit, but I hate to ruin something because I did'nt know any better. :D                     :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

ErikC

I use a combination square, it only takes a second. Getting the rest square is the key so it will be right. There's probably a more accurate way, but it works and it's fast.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Ianab

Quote from: timber tramp on January 30, 2009, 11:38:23 AM
  Thanks for the replies, guys. :)  When you grind the rails do you  check them with a straight edge, or just eyeball 'em? I may be over thinking this a bit, but I hate to ruin something because I did'nt know any better. :D                     :) TT

Try and balance the bar upright on it's edge on the bench.

If it falls over, the rails aren't true. If you can get it to stand up, they are  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rebocardo

I use the product from Baileys that Kevin linked, works fine.

John Woodworth

Baileys has a nifty file in a guide that works wonderfull, also what works real well is a disc sander just check the table and make sure it's 90 degrees to the disc and be sure to round off the outboard edges of the bar. You dont need a agressive grit just be careful not to overheat the bar.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

dnalley

I think grinding on the side of a rock of a bench grinder is a lot like playing with a bomb!!   Just not good advice in my opinion.  Sorry if this offends but there's reasons for not doing this----shrapnel!!  Risky business! :o

Thank You Sponsors!