iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Logs coming- Advice Needed-Sorry for long absense

Started by alpmeadow, February 24, 2011, 11:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpmeadow

Our small snow filled millyard will be getting up to 8 truckloads of cedar logs sooner than expected.  Our custom cutting for locals has been slow(only 290 hrs on lt40 WM in over five years) but has been mostly cedar siding, board batten etc.
Need to deck logs, then cutoff to preferred length and store in limited number of bins for now.
Rethinking optimum log lengths and better value options
Typically it will be
Random small diameter fence posts for 4 inch tops between 6 and 12' in lengths
Medium logs 6 to 10" in diameter cutoffs at 8+ft, 12+ft
Larger diam 10" to 20" in diameter cutoff at 12+ft and best for those larger random pile 13 to 20 ft in length

Is there a better way to consider this? 
Thanks for your input for the love of cedar!
Irv
Golden BC Canada

Tallis Creek Woodlot, LT40G28,KubotaMX5000

Cedarman

I keep a lot of our cedar in tree length.  Buck as needed.  But we sell lumber from 6' on up to 28' and you don't know until the phone rings.  #1 seller though is 8'.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Coon

Good to see you back on the forum.   I'll echo the leaving those logs in tree length if you are unsure what product you will be making them into. Buck them as needed.  It does sound like you'll be kept busy for a while though.   ;D   

I may be up in your area in the near future.   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

alpmeadow

I agree that full tree length is preferred, however the other construction and access limitations, may need shifting piles and our recent experiences have proven too challenging locating and moving tree length logs, with our kubota 50hp loader forks.

Brucer

I'm guessing we're talking interior WRC here.

I prefer to leave the logs full length because that gives me the most flexibility.

If your equipment can't handle logs that big, I would tend to keep a mix of 20' to 24' lengths. You should be able to handle those with your tractor -- my little JD 750 will lift a couple of 16' logs in the diameters you mention.

You'll probably be seeing some butt rot in the bigger stuff. I'd be inclined to cut those down so you've got a shorter log with the rot in it and a longer, smaller diameter one with no rot. You'll have to guess at first where to make the cut -- I'd tend to go 8' from the butt. Once you've processed a few with butt rot, you'll get a feel how far up you have to go to be free of it. If you look at the the branch stubs closely, when you see center rot in the center of the branch, then you can be pretty sure there's butt rot that high up the tree.

You'll still get lots of wood off the sides of the logs with butt rot if you saw parallel to the surface.

By all means, cut off the small diameter tops. You won't get much lumber out of them and the extra length just makes handling more complicated.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

alpmeadow

Thanks for the tips
Previous cedar loads included alot of center rot in big logs that didn't meet spec from our log buyer.  Some beautiful clears 1x10 and 2x10 up to 16' were cut but 30% had to be chopped due to rot.  But I have a great use for the shorts.  See below

SDB777

Deleted comment

Here is an example of the kind of PM the Admins put up with fairly regularly when members (usually newer ones) get on their high horse and abuse the forum.  To make sure that the forum is punished sufficiently, they delete their posts, like this one did, or find some other way of trying to bolster their bravado. This one hails from Arkansas. I guess even a fine state like that has its grumps.

I suppose that this makes him feel better.

QuoteSo if I offended your delicate feelings....so what! 
Well, back to trying to read all of the posts that are being made.  It's tough to keep up when you have to read them all.  Most are only concerned with five or six.  Heck, this guy only has 11 posts himself.  I guess he couldn't handle being a "Real" member.
Homelite (POS)$30 saw for bucking
Stihl MS390 w/24" for ripping

alpmeadow

Sorry for the small picture, i did upload it to my gallery below:
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=13130&pos=-94456

I carve and finish small 3D signs and the example above shows bandsaw marks, knots and rot on the reverse, to show you can make something from nothing.
Cheers
Irv

Dewey

I buy my cedar random lenght  8'-20'....I usually buy around 30 trailer loads a year...For me to buy it tree  length  is a lot of work to buck up by myself.... I'm lucky that most of what I saw is bought  random length   !!!

SDB777

Deleted comment

Here is an example of the kind of PM the Admins put up with fairly regularly when members (usually newer ones) get on their high horse and abuse the forum.  To make sure that the forum is punished sufficiently, they delete their posts, like this one did, or find some other way of trying to bolster their bravado. This one hails from Arkansas. I guess even a fine state like that has its grumps.

I suppose that this makes him feel better.

QuoteSo if I offended your delicate feelings....so what! 
Well, back to trying to read all of the posts that are being made.  It's tough to keep up when you have to read them all.  Most are only concerned with five or six.  Heck, this guy only has 11 posts himself.  I guess he couldn't handle being a "Real" member.
Homelite (POS)$30 saw for bucking
Stihl MS390 w/24" for ripping

alpmeadow

Thank You Sponsors!