iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router sled for surfacing slabs

Started by Crusarius, February 06, 2019, 01:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Thanks for the comment. The linear bearings worked great, nice and smooth. the 8020 that I was using for the other direction not so smooth. but the good news was that only move the little bits at a time while the linear bearings ran the length. it really would not take much to automate my setup either.

I am actually planning using what I learned from this experiment to build a 5x12 or at least a monster CNC for doing everything. Ultimate goal would be to cut anything and everything from wood to steel to whatever I want in between. Plus a 4th axis for doing round stuff.

busenitzcww

Lots of good info in this thread! I've had a 20" grizzly spiral head sitting in my shop for over a year with the intentions of building a 5hp 3 phs planer carriage to on my lt15 wide similar to the MP100. I debated wether to build something bigger but I can cut 36" on my mill, sand 36" with my widebelt so figured I'd just stay the same on my planer. Got bearings, pulleys, chain, acme rod, gears, etc coming in the mail and hopefully we put it all together soon. 

Crusarius

that will be a fun build. I have toyed with making a planer for my mill bed as well. but the cost of materials is very prohibitive.

aigheadish

I posted elsewhere, I think, but this looks like the home for router sleds. This is mine after reading through all you's guy's stuff. I've only used it on a chunk of Ash I turned into my mantle but it worked well. It's just melamine board on melamine rails, width of up to around 40ish" and around 6' long, if I'm not mistaken. I've got a log laying in the yard that is due to be sliced up soon, so I'd imagine this will come down off the shelf for that. 

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Walnut Beast

trimguy

Geeg

I built one last year that I use on my sawmill bed, when I am not using it, it gets hoisted to the roof of the sawmill shed. Like the option of having it outside as this keeps the dust down in my shop. I offer his service and since the build it has paid for itself. It is capable of planing 5.5ft x 12ft. The whole frame comes from 80/20.

Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Crusarius

That is pretty slick. I like that.

I have since built a CNC slab flattener that is currently capable of 5'x12' surfacing. 

Crusarius Home built CNC in Drying and Processing (forestryforum.com)

If I had power near my sawmill I would probably have made it attach to the sawmill. But not having power out there is challenging. Especially as the sun is going down.

Larry

I like it.  Planning on something similar but not as big.

Which direction do you get the best cuts, length wise or across?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Geeg

Quote from: Larry on September 03, 2022, 10:11:09 PM
I like it.  Planning on something similar but not as big.

Which direction do you get the best cuts, length wise or across?
I cut length wise, this seems to give the best results. The original sled cut up to 8ft, I just add on the extension if needed for larger slabs.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Daburner87

I envy some of your guys tools.  Anyway, I saw a router sled build on youtube for under $25.  I'll probably give it a try.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Crusarius

My router sled worked very well. especially since it was all from the scrap bin :)

But I like the CNC approach now :)

Thank You Sponsors!