iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser engraving

Started by doc henderson, March 02, 2019, 07:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

coasters after satin poly in the warmer to speed cure and recoat rate.  for the local brewery.  24 per shelf, in various number of coats.  

spalted and blue stained maple from the big log milled for thin coater stock.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

metalspinner

Is that a bakery warmer or proofed?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

doc henderson

it was at the old Fort Riley hospital, and I bought it on a gov. auction site.  200 bucks.  fluids, and blanket warmer.  they bought a new one when they build a new hospital   160°F max thermostatically controlled.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

Breaks my heart but I assume those are made to be more or less throwaways, since they are going to a brewery, doc? Hopefully they are selling them rather than tossing them on the bar. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Crusarius

I have been having alot of fun with my laser as well. But lately my CNC with a diamond drag tip has been my go to since my little 5w diode laser leaves a lot to be desired.

I keep drooling over the new 40 watt xtool d1. I wish I had an extra $1700 laying around.

I definitely need air assist!!!

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on February 06, 2023, 02:44:01 PM
I have been having alot of fun with my laser as well. But lately my CNC with a diamond drag tip has been my go to since my little 5w diode laser leaves a lot to be desired.

I keep drooling over the new 40 watt xtool d1. I wish I had an extra $1700 laying around.

I definitely need air assist!!!
Last December Xtool wanted to send me the new 40 watt laser with a fire suppression system, enclosure, air pump,  and the new honeycomb. It was over $2500 worth of stuff. They got mad when I told them to keep it because they have gotten to expensive for a blue diode.  I get stuck claiming things like that as income so it got to the point it was no longer worth  my time showcasing what their lasers can do and feel Co2 is the next step after 20 watt blue diodes. Just to much that can go wrong with all the heat and precision focusing in my mind. 10 and 20 watt machines are the sweet spot for most wood projects.If you build your YouTube channel in the cnc direction you will have many offers each week to try out new technology. Only thing is it's all from China as they are focusing on bringing the latest consumer technology at affordable prices to market using free advertising on social media. 

It's at the point you can get a good starter Co2 that is faster and good with acrylics in that price range of the latest generation of high powered diodes. For marking metals like your aluminum dog tags diodes just won't work (some stainless will). I am currently looking  at a fiber laser to engrave metals without ceramamark but waiting for recession pricing to start. If  you plan on offering it as a business something like Doc has will give you the best support and longest life along with UL and fire ratigs for cheaper insurance.  

My first air assist was just my compressor with a low pressure regulator and large needle for the nozzle that was just as good as current options. You could even 3d print a nozzle.  Don't use air assist for engraving but it makes cutting go deeper by removing soot and keeps the flames blown out.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Crusarius

thanks for the insight 21. I know if I had a decent youtube channel I would get lots of offers of stuff. That is not where I want my life to go. 

right now my latest project is basically origami for my wife. She has a conference she is attending and is doing a presentation and needed a bunch of small building blocks. Since she is going to be flying to st louis she can't really take a box of wood blocks. so I am making paper ones. 

I am laser cutting them with laser score marks for easy folding. here is what they look like. This way she can take a whole bunch of them flat and fold them when she gets there. the design is self locking and needs no tape or glue.

This project has really pushed me to setup air assist because of the soot on the edges. I may end up just machining the current nose cone with a small hole I can put an air line into and run a regulator to get the pressure down low. 

21incher

That's a tough job trying to score thin cardboard.  Sometimes power and speeds can make a big difference.  A while back I watched a video showing a box like that being made with thin white card stock using a Cricut machine with a blade and a scoring tool that gives a double dimple for clean rounded corners when folded. If you ever want to try a 10 or 20 watt xtool I have them both running and also have the small co2 to compare if you have artworks. I plan on dumping all the blue lasers this summer to make room for a bigger 100 watt co2.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Crusarius

I may be getting a hold of you. would be great to try out the bigger boys.

That paper I am cutting is 110lb stock. I have gotten it down pretty good for perfect scores and very clean cuts. just have a little to much soot on the edges for my taste.

doc henderson

they will be selling, but leave a few around. they are paying me about $1.50 each.  benches and some charcuterie.  I want him to sell stuff, or use the boards to sell meat and cheese.  He like that but also to have brief seasonal promotions to keep people wanting more.  they sell steins and hang the on a hook, and everybody wants one.  the ones up for grabs went in 5 minutes.  when I suggested he make another board with pegs, he wanted to keep it sort of exclusive.  any hoo.  it still take just over an hour to engrave and cut 24 coasters from my thin stock sheets.  I can then start a process of sanding and spraying finish while the next batch engraves.  and wind up being pretty busy in the middle and not so busy in the front or end of 120 coasters.  i do one coat of poly on the back and 2 on the front.  I spray from all four sides in my mini spray booth that shares a fan with the engraver.  I have a bucket with a spice turning rack, and a high quality led from HF above.  I have my desk, the engraver, the paint booth and then my warmer.  all very neatly organized.

all in a line along the wall.
not sure how well it shows but here is some detail about the shred HF blower and blast gate, and my air line with regulator.  the fan is plugged into a remote power strip.  the air and power strip are behind the paint booth.  the walnut lever is the remote on off for the air assist gate valve..  there are blast gate to turn on and off the paint booth or vacuum to the laser.

always goes to food.

doc henderson

the freq. on my vector cutting defaults to 2500, but 500 makes a lot less smoke and char on the edges.  lots to experiment with.

Crusarius

doc , I am guessing that is a c02 laser whats the power? My little 5w diode really has given me power envy.

doc henderson

Crusarius

Ever try anodized aluminum with it?

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: 21incher on February 06, 2023, 09:19:44 PM....... I plan on dumping all the blue lasers this summer to make room for a bigger 100 watt co2.
If you do, I hope you try to 'dump them' here first. Not sure on costing, but I'd like a shot at it too.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

yes it is great.  I did some tins with anodization and it was sharp.  not sure it was alum.  I have done powder coated stuff like Yeti style cups ect.  also nice.

aigheadish

@Crusarius my air assist is almost as simple as it gets, a small air pump for an aquarium, some air line tubing, and some coolant tubing which I used to direct air and the nozzle works really well from that kit too. All for right around 50 bucks. My biggest issue is routing the air line as it tends to hang up along the tracks and disrupt the laser head movement. It'd probably been better to hang air tubing from above but I didn't think of that until right now. I'd be surprised if you didn't have some of any of that stuff sitting around. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Crusarius

the small diameter hose is probably the only thing I am lacking. I am not sure if I can regulate my air supply down far enough without 2 regulators.

I could probably rig something up if I take some time to look around :)

Crusarius

anybody ever try adding something like this for an air assist? says 12kpa outlet pressure which converts to 1.75 psi.

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on February 07, 2023, 10:15:30 AM
anybody ever try adding something like this for an air assist? says 12kpa outlet pressure which converts to 1.75 psi.

For mine I used a 0 to 10 psi regulator with a precision flow control in front of it. Doesn't take much andtoo much pressure can move parts. Now I bought the low pressure laser pumps that are identical to aquarium pumps. I have spare clamp on nozzles for the older modules that you can try.
Here is a painted stainless bottle I did with the xtool

Painted and anodized aluminum comes out beautiful.

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 06, 2023, 10:39:33 PM
Quote from: 21incher on February 06, 2023, 09:19:44 PM....... I plan on dumping all the blue lasers this summer to make room for a bigger 100 watt co2.
If you do, I hope you try to 'dump them' here first. Not sure on costing, but I'd like a shot at it too.
I really am scared to send you down this rabbit hole 🐇. It can waste lots of time to reach the burrow. Lightburn has a free demo period to try their software and learn to use it. You may want to take a peek and load it on your shop computer to get an idea of what's involved with the grbl machines.

Crusarius

I use lightburn exclusively now that I have purchased it. Great program, better than anything else I have used for the laser. I wish they would make a program that would run a cnc.

21incher

My wife was looking  for one of those hair thingys and couldn't believe how expensive the leather ones were. Took a chopstick from the kitchen drawer and went  down  in my shop. About 1/2 hour later gave her this. Quicker then Amazon delivery and custom made from real leather. She loves it. Now she wants me to buy some different color leather sheets to make more. 

doc henderson

looks great 21, and now my wife wants a few herself and to give as custom gifts.  do you mind sharing dimensions and thickness.  I can go get one as well.  I will give that a try.

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on March 01, 2023, 08:42:57 AM
looks great 21, and now my wife wants a few herself and to give as custom gifts.  do you mind sharing dimensions and thickness.  I can go get one as well.  I will give that a try.
Sent you a pm

doc henderson

Thank You Sponsors!