iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer LT40HD hydraulic pumps

Started by thegoodlife, August 27, 2019, 09:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegoodlife

Hi all from New Zealand,

This might be my first post but I've been lurking for sometime & have gained plenty of experience from many posts on FF. Thanks all.

I'm running a 1998 LT40HD super.  I bought it a couple of years ago after it sat for quite a few years unused.  It was changed from electric stationary about 10 years ago to diesel portable by WM I believe.  Probably not too many hours on the Kubota, the hour meter reads 1580 now but I suspect it's either been around the clock or the meter was changed when the engine was installed.

I refitted a debarker as the original had been removed.

I did install Accuset 2 a couple of months ago as the old Setworks was erratic and the display went bad - could sell the parts cheap to someone who wants to keep their setworks going.

Everthing is running really sweet except the hydraulics are slow, the motors are running really slow.  In fact they are pulling the voltage down to 7v on the solenoids.  Negligible voltage drop on the rail and across the solenoids.  I'm trying to use hydraulics as little as possible so I can finish milling the Lawson Cypress logs in my yard.  The motors smell burnt when I use them.

I shoe horned some brushes in one of the motors but the windings are discolored and one of the pumps are considerably noisier than the other.

WM NZ wants to sell me complete pumps/tanks/motors which I will do if it is the best option.

What I am considering is installing an upgrade.  Preferably a single 12v motor option.  Power is not in the yard & I'd prefer not to run another motor petrol or otherwise for a hydraulic power pack.

Anyone have any idea on the specs of the current pumps/motors and an aftermarket replacement?  Does not need to be a bolt in replacement.  I'm very comfortable fabricating to fit an upgrade.

Maybe there's already a thread that covers the subject but I've not been able to find it.

Thanks everyone.

Magicman

Personally I would install two new WM pump assemblies and be trouble free for many years to come.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't reengineer the pumps. If they are that bad, then it's time to replace them. Drawing thre voltage down can have adverse affects on other systems on the mill. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crusarius

I would love to know if anyone comes up with any options since I would like to add hydraulics to my mill. 

pineywoods

I know one fella who ran a couple of temp hoses from his mill over to the aux hydraulic outlets on his farm tractor. Not really practical long term, but would get you by until better fix. I considered doing the same thing only use a log splitter.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Stuart Caruk

A buddy gave me a complete hydraulic pump setup from an LT40 that was sitting in his barn. I found out later that it was probably there for a reason as the pump died within a couple weeks. I use it to run my log deck and it quit on a Saturday. I called a buddy who does electric motor repair and took it over. He ordered up a new motor for it as it wasn't worth fixing. 

On Monday I called Woodmizer and they had the pump/motor assemblies in stock for $360 or so. I went over to pick teat up and had it installed in about an hour. a couple weeks later my other unit was fixed for a cost of about $380. Just go buy the new motor/pumps from Woodmizer... they are a pretty good deal.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Magicman

I also spent some good money on bad pumps.  They gave me good service for over 15 years so let the dead stay dead.  That is less than $50 bucks per year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodyone.john

I could be interested in your old artworks.
Contact me on 0226192025
Cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

thegoodlife

Quote from: Magicman on August 28, 2019, 08:58:33 PM
I also spent some good money on bad pumps.  They gave me good service for over 15 years so let the dead stay dead.  That is less than $50 bucks per year.
For some reason things including parts for Wood Mizer are much more expensive in New Zealand.  Part of it sometimes is the freight costs.  Most often I can buy direct from overseas much cheaper than locally.  WM NZ wants $920NZD per pump.  If there's not a better option that I can buy at a reasonable price then WM pumps will probably be the way to go.

thegoodlife

Quote from: woodyone.john on August 29, 2019, 05:47:25 PM
I could be interested in your old artworks.
Contact me on 0226192025
Cheers john
Thanks John.  I sent you a text today.  Happy to help out with the parts as likely just to get in my way now.

Shane

Thank You Sponsors!