iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HolmenTree bikesaw projects.

Started by HolmenTree, April 15, 2020, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

As I mentioned earlier about retirement of my tree service one year from now....well it's never going to happen.  
I retired and shut er down last week :).
47 years I've earned an income with a chainsaw since 16 years of age.
Time to pack it in and sell my equipment.
I'm starting to learn how to relax real easy, heck of a good feeling while I'm  ahead :laugh:

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lxskllr

Good luck! I hope retirement's everything you want  :^)

Old saw fixer

Now it's time to enjoy life and the family!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

olcowhand

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 23, 2021, 05:22:50 PMI retired and shut er down last week .

Congratulations, Willard. You earned it. Best wishes.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

teakwood

Good to hear that Willard, happy free time!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Tacotodd

Now we're just waiting on bikesaw updates, especially for a finished product (or two).
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 23, 2021, 05:22:50 PMI retired and shut er down last week :).
This is wonderful news and I offer my Congratulations and Best Wishes for you for this next chapter in your life.  MM
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HolmenTree

Thankyou gentlemen for your kind words.
Yes a new chapter in my life and my wife Catherine has many projects for me on her to do list :D . She's retiring in 5 years.
Our twins are now in grade 9 and our oldest  started university so life is not slowing down for us.

Yesterday I finished taking photos of all my equipment and then put them  away into storage.
Plans are to sell them off over the winter to hopefully allow someone to get a fresh start in the spring starting up their own business.

My only regrets is I never got to buy and run my own MS500i, 462 and 572XP.
But last year I did end up buying a mint 1989 044AV and my 066's and 562XP are still running flawlessly.

Yes lots of time now to spend in my saw shed getting the YZ125,  CR250 and CR500 hotsaws up and running.  Glad I didn't rush them and that I did lots of R&D.
Lots to report in a bit.
8)

HolmenTree

It's Dec.6 and it's -31° C outside this morning.
I got the heat turned up in the saw shed and my 514cc CR500R hotsaw project is also heating up.
Almost got all parts needed collected for it.
I gave it a haircut the other day and it shed over 7 lbs.

This afternoon I'm cutting carbon fiber and 6061 aluminum for the frame and handles.

36" harvester B/C is work rated for 65 h.p. at 9,000 feet per minute.

rburg

Glad you got to retire. Looking forward to your saw build.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

HolmenTree

HolmenTree

The Honda CR500 powerhead is starting to get a chainsaw profile.
The carbon fiber frame is roughed out and pieces are finding their place.

Wallydawg

Best of luck in your retirement. I have only two questions; How you gonna start them beasts :o, and how do I order tickets for the show :D. I had a 370 AJS decades ago that put the fear of God in me when starting time came. Usually, a long, steep hill was best :D. This is pure Tim Allen fun. "grunt, grunt, MORE POWER. You're doing great, keep it up.
They say I'm lazy, but it takes all my time. - Joe Walsh -
Timberking B-20

chet

It's been 9 years ago that I packed up my tree gear up for the last time. Do I miss the work? Yup. Enough to go back, NOPE. Retirement is pretty easy gig to get use to. :)  Good luck ta ya Willard, I'm sure you will get used to it too.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

HolmenTree

Thanks Chet and Wally,
Yes lots of time to tinker now and between that and keeping the driveway snow plowed it's great.

Hope to do some summer traveling with these saws I'm building and take in some competitions. My wife is all for it which is good :D

Sprinter

I'm hoping the Squamish Show is on this year. I'd love to see those bad boys run!  :new_year:

HolmenTree

My wife and I got Aug long weekend 2022  booked for Squamish days so keeping my fingers crossed.
This year they moved the loggers sports to September with short notice which was ok for the locals but not so good for others.

HolmenTree

The snow is piling up against my saw shed window here deep in the Boreal  spruce forest of northern Manitoba.

The CR500 is getting some custom cylinder work so now I'm focusing on the YZ125 and CR250R projects.

Finally got my sheet of 6061 aluminum from out of British Columbia due to all the flooding and transportation closures out there. Best wishes to everyone affected out there, sure not a good way to close out the year as bad as the year already was.

Now I can finish the 3 saw's frame and handle construction.

HolmenTree

Little update guys.
Used up alot of my late winter and spring spare time working on selling my tree service equipment and diesel pickup truck.  Next week a young arborist from Alberta is coming to drive it all back home.

The saw projects are back on the bench.
Just some smaller details to work out before they're in the wood. 
The hollowed out aluminum octagon top handles give great grip to hang onto and steer these saws.

catalina

HolmenTree

Well my truck and equipment drove away with the new owner from Alberta on May 13. End of an era for me now and retirement has set in good now.
6 more weeks and me and my family will he at the loggers sports competitions in Squamish BC 
Got my Yamaha YZ125 almost ready for testing . Just need to build some chain guards and finish mounting the exhaust pipe.
Last pic is a write up I did with my tree service sale.

HolmenTree

The YZ125 bikesaw turned out very compact and weighs about 23 lbs PHO.

chet

We need some video of the test runs. ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

HolmenTree

Thank You Sponsors!