iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 2171 vs. 2166

Started by SnoJetter, March 09, 2021, 09:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoJetter

These two saws popped up for sale; both look very clean, both claim to be low-hour saws, both are priced the same.  Seems the obvious choice would be to buy the bigger saw.  But I'm wondering if there's anything that would favor the 2166?  Or are these the same saw save for P&C?

Tacotodd

@Spike60  we need your help and verification please.
Trying harder everyday.

barbender

From what I know, the 2171 us the same as the non X-torq Husky 372, which is more sought after. The 2172 is the sister to the Husky 372 X-torq. However the 2166 is a strato or x-torq saw, and is actually 71cc (same jug as the 2172) with covers over the transfer ports.
Too many irons in the fire

SnoJetter

Quote from: barbender on March 09, 2021, 11:26:25 PM
From what I know, the 2171 us the same as the non X-torq Husky 372, which is more sought after. The 2172 is the sister to the Husky 372 X-torq. However the 2166 is a strato or x-torq saw, and is actually 71cc (same jug as the 2172) with covers over the transfer ports.
Silly me, thinking the 2166 was a smaller displacement. Who named that saw anyway??  ;D

Spike60

2171 is the better of the 2. :)

Barbender is correct about the 2172 being the companion to the 372XT. The 2166 is the companion to the 365XT, also 71cc. They went with 2166 because 2165 had already been used for the 48mm/65cc saw that was the counterpart to the original 365 Special non XT.   

Some of these saws fly so far under the radar! The best kept secret right now is the 565, which also at 71cc, is similarly related to the 572XP. Same as the the 555 is to the 562. It's so unknown that it's the only one of the four 71cc saws in the Husky lineup that they have in stock. 365/372/572 are all empty, but there's 30 565's sitting in the warehouse because even the dealers don't pay attention to it.

Most people aren't aware that the 545/555/565 are the same displacement as the 550/562/572. Yeah, who DID name all these saws? We gotta have a talk with that guy. :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SnoJetter

I'm curious, what makes you say the 2171 is "better?"

The price for the each saw is $650 and I don't know if that's good or not; it doesn't seem out of line. But what I do know is I rarely see them for sale, so supply & demand comes into play.  I have talked to the 2171 seller and he's firm on his price; the 2166 is a recent ad and maybe that seller will haggle.

I should mention the 2171 is a "W" model, which I guess indicates it has heated handles? I mean, it does have heated handles, just not sure if the "W" indicates something more. Anyway, I've cut plenty of times in sub-zero temps and it's never cold hands that have forced me to quit. So that feature doesn't really appeal to me, and the seller has stated he's sold standard 2171's in the past for $50-$75 less. If given the option I'd save the money; but again, this is the only one currently for sale that I see. And it looks very clean not showing the typical scuff and paint wear marks of a high milage saw.

One more thing, there is a Redmax dealer not too far away who still has a GZ7100 in stock with a 20" bar for $880 or something close to that. My understanding is this is the same saw - or at least very similar to - the 2172? Would that deal push you towards the Redmax, or pocket the extra $230 and focus on the used saw?

barbender

The only way I'd pay that much for the 2171 is if it was basically brand new, and I really really wanted a classic non XT 2171. Don't get me wrong, they are a great saw and very in demand, but $650 is high. I think $450 is more what I see around here. But if it's what you really want, it's not crazy either. Personally I'd just go buy a new 562 for another $100🤷🏽‍♂️ and yes I have both saws.

Spike60

$650 is nuts for either saw. They'd both have to be really mint and hardly used to get that much money. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SnoJetter

The perspective is interesting.  Jonny's so rarely come up for sale in my area that the price for a more sought after saw (at least for me) didn't sound terrible.  Not great, but not out of line.  I have found great deals when just browsing and coming across an ad at the tight time.  But in this case, I am shopping and my choices are limited.

I'm not anti-Husky by any means, I just want the red saw.  Until I run out of parts for my 535's and can't keep my other 2100's running I'll stick to using the classics and avoid buying new (unless that Redmax at the dealer goes on clearance...then I might have to rethink my plans).

Thanks guys!

sawguy21

Quote from: Spike60 on March 10, 2021, 10:19:28 AM
$650 is nuts for either saw. They'd both have to be really mint and hardly used to get that much money.
I see that all the time on cl and the local buy and sell. The seller either figures chainsaw users are stupid or wants the trip from seeing his pride and joy in print. $450 CDN would be my limit for any used saw and I would really need to have it which I don't.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

I will always have a tough time paying more than half of new for a used saw, in good condition. I think I payed about $700 for my 2171. Like I said, I have a 2171 (that has a big bore kit in it, long story- but it has some serious grunt) and a new 562. I haven't used the 2171 since I got the 562🤷🏽‍♂️

Tacotodd

Maybe the W stands for full wrap handle. I don't know, I'm just guessing.
Trying harder everyday.

Spike60

W or WH does stand for heated handles in Jonny speak. When Tilton was selling them they always referred to them as "deluxe" models, even though that never appeared anywhere on the saw. There are 2 different systems; one with a two position switch and one with a single position switch. The 2 position allowed the operator to turn on either the handles or the carb heater. The single position had a thermostat on the carb heater to prevent it from getting too warm. 

Even if it doesn't appeal to the buyer, the W model should be more expensive than a standard one. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Woodfarmer

I would gladly pay $500 for the 2171W. I bought a new 565 and it didn't compare to my 2165/2171's sold it. I've run used 562 and 2166. Sent them both down the road too. No comparison to the aforementioned Jreds.
The xtorq saws a slightly heavier and don't have the same power IMO.

SnoJetter

Quote from: barbender on March 10, 2021, 12:06:12 PM
I haven't used the 2171 since I got the 562🤷🏽‍♂️
Barbender - I'll make you a deal: since you don't use that 2171 anymore, I'll put it good use...and pay you half of what you paid for it  ;D

In all seriousness, do you see many J-reds come up for sale in your area?  If your signature is accurate, you're only about a 3-hour drive north of me.  If you ever come across something like this for sale (would also love to get a 2159), a road trip would be in order!  Unless I'm not looking in the right places, I don't see much for red saws in the whole state of MN.  Wisconsin is another story, they seem to be more plentiful that direction.

barbender

I see a few now and then. There is a guy local to me that rebuilds and goes through saws and sells them. Pretty much just Huskys and Jreds. There's quite a few Red saws up here, one of the local Fleet store chains was a big dealer for a long time, and sold a lot of Jonsereds over the years. That's where many came from. They sell Husky and Stihl now.

SnoJetter

Update: the 2171W is still for sale @$650.  The 2166 has come down to $550.  Does that change anyone's impression?

A nice-looking 2165 just popped up quite a ways down the road for $300.  Anyone going to tell me to take a roadtrip and grab two saws?

barbender

No. But that 2165 merits a good look, if it's in good shape snap it up.

SnoJetter

I appreciate the comments. I gotta hope it's still around when I make a trip that direction.

Woodfarmer

I didn't buy into the auto tune saws, I find the new husky's are too heavy for what the are. I run the ported 2165/71's and a 2005 2159 EHP ported for me when new.
The only new saw I'm impressed with is the 500i.

SnoJetter

I thought I'd post an update to this thread as I've been keeping my eyes open for a big bore saw: a 2166 popped up for sale at a Husky dealer a couple hour's drive away. It looked very promising in the pictures, and the dealer was very accommodating in answering my questions and providing extra photos. I decided to go for it. My dad just happened to be driving through that area on his way up for a visit and so I had him stop and haul the saw for me.

The story is it came in as a trade from a local who bought it new in 2014. It was used regularly...but after getting it home and looking it over, I wonder if "regularly" means one tree per year. I can't believe this saw has much time on it. For starters, the clutch cover still has the "Turbo" sticker on it and hardly a hint of paint wear. Most of my used saws don't have that sticker and there's always paint missing. Could it be a new cover? Maybe. The rest of the saw looks nearly as clean and unscathed. Only the bottom of the tank has some scratching and where the handle attaches underneath is missing black paint. No significant color fade either (red is bright and not much mismatch from one section to another, something that I see often on Jonny's). It's got a 24" Jonsered labeled Total bar. Again, very little scuffing; it basically looks like a new bar. Based on what the rest of the saw looks like, I imagine this is the original bar. It fires right up, idles nicely, revs as it should. All in all, it appears to be in better shape than what was advertised. I paid $450, which I thought was quite reasonable considering it came from a dealer. I'm looking forward to using it! I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Spike60

That's an awful good update to the thread! Real nice find there, and $450 is a decent price as well. Sounds like a genuine low hours saw, but it's also nice to see that some folks actually still take care of things. :) 

In that regard, I scored a very nice 670V (heated grips), last Fall. Early twin coil saw in fantastic shape, and low hours considering it's age. Knew the guy and knew the saw. And Jim takes care of everything he owns. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SnoJetter

Yes, there's an extra sense of satisfaction when you find the saw you're looking for and then it turns out to be really clean and shiny.  I've got photos, so will try to upload them later today.  We've had a lot of snow this winter and that's kept me from getting out to the neighbor's woodlot where I cut.  But there are a couple of downed 20" ash trees that need to be processed so this saw will see some work.

Spike, I don't mind you posting a few photos of that 670 here.  Nobody ever said a thread had too many pictures!

Spike60

Never quite figured out the photo thing here. Posted some pics a few years back but they were deleted cause they weren't in my gallery? Never looked into it after that, maybe it's time for a look. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Spike60 on March 11, 2022, 09:03:45 AM
Never quite figured out the photo thing here. Posted some pics a few years back but they were deleted cause they weren't in my gallery? Never looked into it after that, maybe it's time for a look.
It's really easy after you figure it out. I can give you a hand next time I stop in the shop.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!