iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Scott, lots of firewood in those big rounds and they should split easily too. I spent Thursday splitting up a pile of big rounds and had a lot of split wood by the time I finished. No outside work yesterday or today because of the cold and wind. Tomorrow will be better and maybe the ground has frozen up enough to get the tractor back in the woods.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

woodroe

After a 3 week lull due to cold and snowy winter conditions got 
back into the bucking and splitting. Gaining stacking space as the bolt pile dwindles.
Temps in the 30s make for decent working conditions.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

ajschnitzelbank

NYS DEC cleared a parking area for the Wildlife Management Area that boarders my property. They sold me the cut timber for $10/cord. I think it wound up being a bit more than the two cords they estimated because I told them I'd take fairly small stuff too. I don't mind burning limb wood. So I moved it out of their way and in to a pile using my Kubota L4701 and Frost Bite grapple. What a useful tool! Though I definitely need some practice to make a neater pile. 

beenthere

How much time do they give you to remove the wood in your piles? 

Looks like a great place for a buzz saw to be put to good use. 

8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ajschnitzelbank

Quote from: beenthere on February 15, 2023, 11:48:49 AM
How much time do they give you to remove the wood in your piles?

Looks like a great place for a buzz saw to be put to good use.

8)
They said I had until April to move it, but I got it out before mud season. Yeah I'd like a buzz saw! My buddy has a second smaller tractor that he uses to run his buzz saw. That seems to work well. If I get another tractor though my wife will kill me. Hahah. 

John Mc

ajschnitzelbank - how do you like that Kubota L4701?

I was shopping for an upgrade a couple of months ago when I cracked my New Holland TC33D in two. I ended up repairing the TC33D, since I would have gotten very little for it in it's broken condition.

I'll still probably upgrade at some point. My tractor is great for getting in to tighter spaces, but it's really on the small side for some of what I'm doing with it. I was looking at the L4701 (it's hydraulics are much better protected than the several L3902 tractors the dealer had in stock). The dealer was trying to sell me on the MX5400 - certainly a great tractor, but too big for my needs and won't fit in my garage when the ROPS is up (once I add the limb risers and falling object protection, that ROPS is not folding down again).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Wlmedley

Started splitting up a white oak cut last fall.  Worked until I got my splitter cod locked with split wood.The longer I worked the less energy I had to throw wood away from splitter. I gave out about the same time I ran out of room :laugh:

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Al_Smith

Although it was a very mild winter to me it's been a long one .The temps lately have been from high 20's night to mid 50's day time .It makes it a chore how to fire it to keep from having two over 70 years olds sitting around in their undies .I figure maybe two,possibley three weeks I'll let the fire go out and run the propane . 

SwampDonkey

Been a couple warm days here, but the rest of the week is suppose to be frigid, so will burn some wood to make up for it. :D Another snow storm Thursday night. Drive way about all melted out the last 2 days, some ice along the edge, but brittle ice.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

@Wlmedley Lots of time, it's not a race to the end. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

QuoteIt makes it a chore how to fire it to keep from having two over 70 years olds sitting around in their undies

Less wood, equals less heat.

Wood Fire 101.  ;) :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

No picture but either I thought I had more wood cut than I did or it was colder than I thought  .I thought it was 8 cords with about 2 of cotton wood .I'm just about down to that with very little oak and ash left .Since that stuff only weights about half of oak it makes sense it would take twice as much of it .Takes more bundles but they are light not those 50 pound bundlles of oak .With only maybe 2-3 weeks to go I'll make it .Got about a cord and a half left .

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Been cold here, near zero every day for a week, no burning during the sunshine, windows heat the place. Window even up some days in the sunshine. But I only burn a wheel barrow all day, I load the furnace once at night and once in the morning. It's after 4:00 pm here now and 14F outside, was -3F this morning, been no wood added to the stove since 7:00 am. 77F upstairs and 74F downstairs now. I started with 10 cords of aspen mostly in October and I've got 5 cords left. Plus 10 more outside the door to stack in spring. Looks like it's about to snow here before dark, snow coming over the Masardis hills in Maine. I don't burn as much wood as the neighbors, they have fires on all day long. A lot of them burn green stuff, blue smoke, less heat. I burn 12-16% stuff, 12% stuff in the basement. If burnt wood like that it would be 100 degrees in here and I'd be a grease spot on the floor. :D

ajschnitzelbank

Quote from: John Mc on February 19, 2023, 05:31:13 PM
ajschnitzelbank - how do you like that Kubota L4701?

I was shopping for an upgrade a couple of months ago when I cracked my New Holland TC33D in two. I ended up repairing the TC33D, since I would have gotten very little for it in it's broken condition.

I'll still probably upgrade at some point. My tractor is great for getting in to tighter spaces, but it's really on the small side for some of what I'm doing with it. I was looking at the L4701 (it's hydraulics are much better protected than the several L3902 tractors the dealer had in stock). The dealer was trying to sell me on the MX5400 - certainly a great tractor, but too big for my needs and won't fit in my garage when the ROPS is up (once I add the limb risers and falling object protection, that ROPS is not folding down again).
I like it so far. But I haven't used many tractors to compare it to. It replaced my Kubota B2301 that was smaller/less capable than I wanted. The b-series also felt so tippy to me all the time. I would have liked to get an MX5400, mostly for the added loader strength and larger front tires, but I couldn't pass up the 84 month 0% loan on the L4701. 

Al_Smith

This firewood business I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and about time .I find the older I get the less enthusiasm I have towards the end of the heating season .I don't think I could cut the mustard in North Dakota or Maine and certainly not in Alaska .

thecfarm

You could do it in Maine Al.  ;)
You're not like those 20 year olds and want someone else to do it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

The end of the season is the worst. Day temps might be in the 50's but at night in the 30's . You bank the fire in day light and it might take you 4 hours to get it coaled up enough to make it until day light again .The heat is in the charcoal not the burning wood long time .I've done it so long but it's still a pain in the behind .

jimbarry

Kickin' off the 2023-/2024 season.

711ac

Moving (hopefully) the last rack
for this season before Saturday's snow. 

The racks hold about 90 c/f +/- single row cut at 26" for my indoor boiler. 

I almost lost this one, the temperature was above freezing and the snow on the forks was like grease against the wood.
We're burning some hemlock slabwood during the day, we're in the "shoulder" season, at least during the sunny days. This rack was was processed 4-21 and it's moved into a lean to just outside of the boiler room. Beech is my primary firewood and the boiler likes it after drying on these single row racks after 1 year top covered with rubber roofing. 

Saturday's storm on next year's wood.

barbender

I forgot to update another thread I started about how to make forks not so slippery. But I ended up taking my 110 mig welder and "stippling" my forks, just pill the trigger and stop right away. Just leaves a rough little bump. It made the forks 100% better for my uses, and it also makes it so you're not rewarded with an immediate faceplant if you absent mindedly step on one in frozen season.
Too many irons in the fire

Wlmedley

Trying to keep a couple years ahead on my firewood.Have plenty enough for next year but don't like cutting in hot weather and today was a perfect day to cut.Still working on the same white oak.20' butt log fell across a swag and was to high to safely cut.Hooked up cable and snatch block and got it pulled around but tractor not big enough to pull it out.Had to cut in two 6' and one 8' sections before tractor would pull them.Decided to save two 6' sections to mill into slabs for future bench material.Going to have to split a lot of big rounds with chainsaw.When done should have about a half year supply out of one tree (I hope) :laugh:

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Walnut Beast

Wlmedley

I used to like busting up those big white oak chunks.Could go around the outside with a 12 lb monster maul and have them split pretty quick.About 10 years ago doctor said maul wasn't doing my shoulder any good so I broke down and bought a log splitter.Splitter is slower than maul but I guess we all have to make concessions to keep on.Splitting chunks with a chainsaw isn't a easy job either but I guess if it was easy everybody would want to do it.Does produce a lot of shavings but now I can wallow them in splitter  :laugh:

Al_Smith

Look at it like this,a splitter doesn't get tired .

Thank You Sponsors!