The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Saw Shortage!  (Read 9702 times)

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Re: Saw Shortage!
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2021, 04:35:42 PM »
I've transitioned to canola oil almost 100%. Just checked walmart's website, and it's ~$1.50/G more than it was last year. Site says $6.32/G. I need to pick one up this weekend.

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2021, 07:29:03 AM »
The price of gasoline not too long ago was over $4 a gallon which it did drop eventually .At the same time oil didn't rise too much .However when gas prices dropped oil never has .As far as oil quality  it has improved over the years translating into more miles between oil change on automotive stuff .
Chainsaw bar oil it seems to be about like gasoline and mix oil brand and mix ratio depending on who is telling the story .Nobody seems to agree on it though but it does make for interesting conversation .--My oil is better  than your oil  --tra lah-lah  :D

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2021, 08:17:41 AM »
I am giving the price on the bar oil.  to be clear

Ah ok, i got that mixed up. Bar oil they sell refill motoroil 40 (what ever that means) at 12$ a galon
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »
Was just at stihl no bars available and canít even order until dec.15 . They didnít even have 1 20Ē bar 
ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.ď
Milton Friedman

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2021, 08:48:47 AM »
I've transitioned to canola oil almost 100%. Just checked walmart's website, and it's ~$1.50/G more than it was last year. Site says $6.32/G. I need to pick one up this weekend.
Well, to keep with the shortage theme of the thread... I just got back from walmart, and they didn't have any store branded gallons of canola. I didn't bother getting anything. Wesson was $9.xx/G. I have enough to last awhile, but not the whole season. I'll keep my eyes open when I'm out and about. I don't like walmart much anyway, and the one close to me is kinda expensive. I'm thinking someone else's store brand will be about the same price.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2021, 09:03:45 AM »
Bar oil is a petro product and the oil prices are currently rising. There are alos oil product shortages seen in stores- you can decide whats causing them for your own satisfaction as it's a hot button political discussion. "Just in time" parts are affected by more than transport. Here in KY where that was first developed by the Georgetown, KY Toyota plant we (and other places with production plants) have many small part plants and most all of them have the same "hiring now" signs we see all over from Burger King to you name it. Two of my nephews drive large trucks and were having sporadic employment as parts haulers until lately. At some future date the auto mfg's will begin to force vehicles onto dealers and lots will be flush with vehicles. Thats how they do things in the past and will happen again. WSJ has an article on how dealers have laid off most of sales & business managers, etc. lately as no stuff to sell. Trend toward web sales is going to increase even more than has been seen last few years and those sales related people will not go back ever is one reality.  
Why hate on Walmart?  Is there a grocery chain that's more likeable overall? I'll say this again-in my area it's a decent job that pays enough to compete for workers. Kroger's pays more as unionized but also does much part time employment to keep down pay & benefits. Shop for Less here pays less than Walmart as does IGA. Local businesses here pay state minimum wages of around $8 hrly.   They all compete for the same customers in their own way. I knew a lawyer (our county atty from NJ) who told me he wouldn't go in Walmart as the customers were too "rough"-he lioke Target better. . He left for Louisville where he's maybe happy now? I see scruffy people in every store I go in as many seem to show up in the clothes they  slept in...
I think many prices are a function of when they were produced, especially anything coming from a volatile market like petro products or agriculture related oils. Metals are that way and have been since covid 19 came around. Inflation is real if you actually shop for items. Many people do not shop, they just buy. This is seen often in gasoline where prices vary 30-40 cents a gallon around me. The "Patels" own many gas stations in my rural area and raise prices way beyond others who march in lock step to their suppliers no matter if they've had a recent shipment or it's last weeks gasoline. 
ve
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline JDowns71

• Getting Out Of The City
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2021, 03:14:11 PM »
The entire market is crazy right now.  Just got back from Cat and a 800hr used 239D3 was selling for more than a 259D3 new, simply due to availability.  Was a tough decision between a new 239D3 with next years 5% price increasing or buying now a 259D3 for slightly more money without the 5% price increase and better financing.  Need to move fast on equipment since the availability is extremely depleted with long wait times.    We were so use to product availability that we could purchase on demand, and now you have to be very proactive looking much further into the future.

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2021, 06:02:08 AM »
Well, the 20" .058 Oregon bars I ordered back on April 12th showed up yesterday. I was down to my last 3; talk about "just in time":)  Small victory, but I'll take it.

Would like to see the second half of my snow blower order show up, but that's looking like Thanksgiving at best. Got a list going, but not taking deposits, which surprises some people. Deposits tend to raise everyone's anxiety level and generate pointless "Any word?" phone calls. The ship dates are too unreliable to pass them on to the customer. I'm telling everyone they will be called when the blowers show up, but in the meantime, they are free to jump on something else if they choose.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2021, 08:57:31 AM »
Tractor Supply here put out an Oregon bar/chain aisle display a while back (never seen Oregon stuff there before), most common stuff was picked clean from it in a day or two. I bought the last two 16" chains that fit my little saw (they were out of bars already) but missed all the 20" stuff I needed. About two weeks later they got one husqvarna 20" chain and I bought it, and the last 16" and 20" husqvarna bars.. This was all a few weeks ago and they still have not filled any of the empty shelf space.

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2021, 09:18:14 AM »
 :D If you look at this thread or subject you have extremes on both ends .Very few people would need bar oil by the barrel full or chainsaws ordered 10 at a time .
On  the other hand people such as myself who might go through 2 gallons of bar oil in an entire year with enough chains in the form of bulk chain to last me the rest of my life .Not to mention around 40 bars and 50 loops of chains hanging on nails already .---that's what collectors do you know--- ;) 

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2021, 12:43:58 PM »
Well I go through quite a bit more bar oil than that but sadly do not have a lifetime supply of chain for this saw I got last year. Enough to get by for a good while for all three saws but hate to get caught with pants down.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2021, 08:37:35 AM »
Tractor Supply here put out an Oregon bar/chain aisle display a while back (never seen Oregon stuff there before), most common stuff was picked clean from it in a day or two. I bought the last two 16" chains that fit my little saw (they were out of bars already) but missed all the 20" stuff I needed. About two weeks later they got one husqvarna 20" chain and I bought it, and the last 16" and 20" husqvarna bars.. This was all a few weeks ago and they still have not filled any of the empty shelf space.
In regard to tractor fluid and everything else that TSC stocks the store mgr told me last week he never knows what he'll get lately, nothing or something. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2021, 01:43:20 PM »
I believe it's a little more complicated than just cargo ships anchored out on California ports .The entire supply system world wide was impacted by the COV thing .From my observation things like toilet paper were in short supply   but they never ran out of beer . ??? I would have thought the exact opposite .

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »
Here TSC sold out to Peavy Mart but Im not sure the rest of the country . Its weird , I could not buy 24 inch stihl chain today BUT I could and did buy a box of 20 already made up 24 inch stihl chains at a very good price 

Offline TonyCH

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2021, 09:04:06 AM »
I believe it's a little more complicated than just cargo ships anchored out on California ports .The entire supply system world wide was impacted by the COV thing .

Hi guys, a comment from across the pond: I cannot talk for all of Europe but at least here in northern corner there is no shortage of anything chainsaw related. Sweden and Germany are close so shipping is easy and quick and saws are plentiful but even Japanese Echos are available easily from stock. And so are bars, chains, oils etc. in all popular brands. Chainsaws are even on sale at some stores. Finland has a large forest industry so for example many domestic bar oil brands are available to choose from.

In fact I cannot remember anything right now having shortage. Shipping times have gone up, especially from China but to this date haven't seen any products actually out of stock any more than before the pandemic. And prices are pretty much the same too. Gas price has gone up but I think mostly because increased taxation.

Don't know why there is shortage of chainsaws etc. in USA but shipping and harbor troubles seem logical part of it. Maybe also USA models are specially made for the single market and that could cause delays in parts availability depending on global demand?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
chainsaw shortage

Started by ohsoloco on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2004, 11:52:32 AM
by ScottAR
xx
Grits Shortage

Started by Sixacresand on General Board

149 Replies
Last post April 04, 2020, 11:10:19 AM
by sawguy21