iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More sharpening advice

Started by AaronS, February 01, 2024, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I'm with ST, I think you have it adjusted wrong and the stone is coming right down on top of the tooth. You don't want to way over tension the holder either, you'll fry your gearmotor smiley_thumbsdown
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Screenshot_20240214_153953_Chrome.jpg

In the top notch drawing above, the tooth to the left is where the wheel should come down. The one in the center is how I think your wheel is coming down on top of the tooth.
Too many irons in the fire

SawyerTed

@barbender has captured it with his "top notch" illustration!  It's actually worth 1,000 words.

Here is the link to the BMS25 sharpener manual.  

https://apps.woodmizer.com/Manuals/EngDoc.aspx?man=sharpener%2fpdf%2f2448.pdf#page19

Section 4.4 describes the adjustment for face grind of the tooth.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

AaronS

Brad, that's considered a large radius? And I thought I was keeping it fairly small...

If that's true then, I guess I should be keeping the radius almost 90 degrees?

AaronS

Barbender and ST, I could be wrong, but I've been trying very hard to take just the tiniest amount off the face, knowing that too much would cause a negative hook angle. There is an adjustment for the push rod, yes. I've used it quite a bit playing around! Could you weigh in on the wheel profile? Is the radius too much like Brad was saying?

Bradm

I run an almost square corner on the grinding wheel and adjust the angle on the OD if needed.  I also lightly dress the profile with a Desmond dresser every band/pass.  I never dress the inside face as doing this will add that taper to the wheel.

Barbender's drawing shows it quite well on the left.  Even though there is a fairly large angle on the OD, the left hand side of the grinding wheel is parallel to the tooth face while in your picture the deep profile shows what I'm talking about at the bottom of the tooth to where it transitions into the gullet.

AaronS

Wow, well then maybe that explains it... thanks for pointing this out Brad! I'm going to reprofile the wheel to square up that inner radius and take another shot at it.

SawyerTed

If the stone matches the profile of a new blade then the stone profile is correct.  Otherwise, the stone needs to match the new blade profile.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bradm

Before changing the profile of the wheel, compare the profile you are getting when sharpening with a new, never been sharpened band (flat pack them and line up the tooth faces).

RAYAR

Quote from: AaronS on February 14, 2024, 02:31:10 PMI noticed a tiny bit of sway side-to-side of the whole grinding wheel assembly, but I can't get the hinge any tighter... could that be it?

Sounds like you likely found the root of the problem. This has to be taken care of, there should be no side to side movement as that will cause the problems you are experiencing. Cutting down on a piece of tin, the full face of the wheel is grinding, but on the blade, you're just catching the left edge of the grinding wheel and it's being deflected to the right as it grinds down the face of the tooth.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

ladylake

One other thing to check, in some of your pics it looks like the tip of the tooth is flattened out right at the tip like the sone isn't. lifting high enough. I had that happen once when a spring on my grinder go weak not lifting  the stone high enough flattening out the tip of the tooth.  Even with power feed the mill wouldn't feed. Put a stronger spring in my grinder and it fed good again
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Joe Hillmann

In a previous post you said you were setting a 19-21 thousandths.  I find when cutting pine that isn't enough.  I aim for 15-27 thousandths.

And since I dislike setting blades I will often push it all the way out to .030 of set so I can get 2 or 3 very light touch up sharpening out of it before I have to set again.

Although when the logs are frozen .030 leaves too much sawdust behind that causes the board to freeze back to the can't once the blade passes through.

Thank You Sponsors!