iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

concrete floor for sawmill

Started by AvlSteve, October 01, 2021, 08:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvlSteve

I have built a 20' x 40' open shed barn for a cooks 3238 sawmill (ordered Feb. of this year, hopefully to be delivered in December.  I currently have a 3/4" gravel floor.  I planned to have a large canvas tarp in the sawdust discharge area, to be removed as needed by pulling folded tarp out with a tractor (idea obtained from this forum).

I am interested in opinions on whether or not I should "bite the bullet" and install a concrete floor. If I do, I think that 4" of high strength concrete with fiber added, and with a 4' x4' grid of #3 repar installed would work.....edges thickened to 8". Excavator with thumb used to load large logs would not be on the pad, but an L series Kubota tractor with forks would bu on the pad to move pallets of cut wood.

Thoughts on concrete floor and if so any other concrete design details would be appreciated.

firefighter ontheside

My mill is under an 18x26 carport.  I poured concrete about 7x18 across one end.  My mill sits sideways in the carport.  The rest of the area is just gravel.  I never drive onto the concrete.  It works well for me.  Someday I expect to build a new home for the mill and use the carport for my kids when they start driving.  I will pour more concrete for the floor at that point.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I have used the fiber additive for thin stuff   1.5 inch cap over my trussed floor in my shop and in the shallow end of our pool floor (under the liner).  it has held together well but for a dog leg along a stairwell opening in the shop,  I would use re-mesh panels 8 x 20 feet on a 6 x 6 grid.  the "heavy matts" have close to a 1/4 inch rebar sized wire, and then add the heavy rebar along the "beam"  you describe along the edge.  I have not used the fiber in a traditional slab, but it may work well.  it is plastic fibers so I would hate for it to fail you and or be an added expense that makes no difference in the long term.  others will have opinions as well.  will the slab be 20 x 40?
800 square feet,  266 cubic feet, just under 10 cubic yards of concrete + another half yard for the beam.  so 1,155 bucks for the mud.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

charles mann

When i poured mud for a living, both commercial and inductrial, we put our rebar on 12" for industrial and some res, and the rest of the res, customer rested 16" centers. 
Only time we used mesh was for sidewalks and drive ways, unless the driveway/entry way was to handle big trucks, then we used rebar. 

If using fibercrete, heavy mesh would probably be fine, but i would think mats on 4' centers. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

jrsloan1

All of those a good suggestions. I would add that the base/sub base under the slab is very important. Without a good compacted base the slab will not be able to carry as much load. It's a "system" not just the slab. Next, use a good design strength concrete maybe 3500 - 4000 psi mix with about a 3" to 4" slump. DO NOT ADD much water at the pour because that lowers the water cement ratio and therefore strength. Talk to the contractor or batch plant. If it needs to be wetter to make it easier to work, use a plasticer ad mixture. It won't lower the strength. And finally, cure it properly. Keep it wet for 10 days, use a curing compound, or cover it with wet burlap, or wet it and cover with visqueen, etc. do all that after it has set enough to not damage the surface. This will slow down the moisture loss caused by the chemical reaction (causes heat) and will result in a much stronger slab. The slab should reach minimum 75% of the design strength in 7days. So after about 10 days you are safe to start putting loads on it. Most of the equipment you'll have around will not have a load anywhere near the design strength of the concrete. Roughly calculating, a 10,000 lb load equally spread over 4 tires that each have 1 square foot bearing on the ground will result in less than 20 psi load. Hope this helps. 
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

Southside

Just remember, walking on concrete all day is miserable, so if you pour a big enough slab for everything then plan on buying rubber matting for all the work / walk areas. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Old conveyor belting like in a quarry makes and ok rubber walkway
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

AvlSteve

Thanks to all for the information.  I saw a post on the forum indicating that adding rock dust on top of the gravel (and then using a plate vibrator to compact) might work.  I would be interested in feedback from anyone that has used or seen this application.

My base, where not original deep soil (very hard and compact), used clay fill placed in 6" lifts and compacted by multiple passes of my 12,000 # excavator.  

dean herring

Go for it and pour concrete,you'll be glad you did 
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Crossroads

I'm on the fence about pouring a pad when I build a shed. I'm considering building a wood deck, but we'll see when the time comes. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WDH

Removing the sawdust will be a real pain without that concrete pad if you are on gravel.  The tarp is a temp solution at best.  Sawdust is heavy and you will have the opportunity to deal with many torn tarps  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom the Sawyer

I have set my mill up on grass, dirt, gravel, asphalt, and concrete.  Being mobile means you have the opportunity to try many surfaces.  My setup here at home is on concrete - wouldn't have it any other way.  I understand that some have difficulty walking on concrete for extended periods of time, doesn't seem to both me and, after a log or two, I'm walking on sawdust anyway.  I do have a horse stall mat at the control end of my B-20.  Concrete makes clean up so much easier.  I usually clean up when I remove the mill for a mobile job but sweeping under the mill and shoveling up the sawdust isn't that bad either.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Don P

I think over that clay I'd use 57's and shape the fill clay to drain readily through the open gravel and out of harms way, at 8" you are well shallower than A-ville's frost depth, make sure the water doesn't hang out under it.

Warren

Quote from: WDH on October 05, 2021, 09:14:03 AM
Removing the sawdust will be a real pain without that concrete pad if you are on gravel.  The tarp is a temp solution at best.  Sawdust is heavy and you will have the opportunity to deal with many torn tarps  :).
The voice of experience... My saw shed is 30x70 with gravel floor.   IF I had the money when I started, it would be concrete.  Yes, I have walked on concrete all day for a living.  In this situation, concrete would make clean up much simpler.
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

jrsloan1

As far as the rock dust,  I might be inclined to use the #57 stone and plate compact that.  It should make a nice surface for the concrete to sit on.  I'm not sure what benefit the rock dust would provide over 57.  If the base installed is a good clay placed in 6" compacted lifts, then 3/4" stone, the 57 should fill the voids nicely and be a good foundation.  I recommend a vapor barrier be placed over the stone prior to pouring the slab. 
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

Larry

My thoughts on concrete. 

Fiber can be expensive, hard to finish, and slick.  Its main purpose is to prevent shrinkage cracks while it cures.  Does that very good.  My experience is from 15-20 years ago and may not be valid today.  They do make different types of fiber so get advice from a pro.

Rebar doesn't allow the crack to widen or move.  Expensive (I bet really expensive today), labor intensive to install, and hard on my knees installing it.

Mesh is cheap, easy to install, and works fairly well.

My best slabs have been with #4 rebar on 12" centers and mesh.  My worse slabs were when I used #3 rebar on 2' centers and when a pro advised me to use nothing in a basement slab.  I have never tried the heavy duty mesh now being sold but it is tempting.

Concrete always gets hard and cracks!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

caveman

What is the going rate in your area for 3500-4000 psi fiber mesh concrete/yd? 

We have been contemplating concreting the floor of the sawmill shed and possibly some other work and wood stack areas.  Last week I was told by a contractor to figure $5/ft2 finished.  We are contemplating doing the job ourselves to save a few coins.  We would need 15 yd3 to do a 4" floor in the shed.

Caveman

YellowHammer

Here, fiber reinforced is $130 to $150 per yard.  Looks like you are contemplating approximately 1,215 ft^2 of pad so your estimate was about $6K?

Your concrete will cost about $2,250 and his estimate is between 2 and 3 times the price of the concrete, which is about normal, if my number are correct.

I just got a concrete pad in, and WM recommended rebar every 24" and 6 inch thick under an LT70.  I also used fiber mesh because the cost is worth it, but it won't beat metal.  So I used both.

You may have seen my videos on it, and now that the jury is isn, yes, I wish I had done it years ago.  There is little sawmill "walking" on it, but not as bad as I thought there would be.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

caveman

Thanks, if we can get the concrete for your prices, we'll likely pour it ourselves.  I recall when we built our shop in 1991 it was $28 yd3 and when I built my house in 1994 it was $32 yd3.  The prices of things have far exceeded my incremental pay increases over the years.  

A flat floor that we could stack lumber on anywhere would be one of those saving steps moves that John is always reminding me of.
Caveman

YellowHammer

Yeah prices have skyrocketed.  Gravel was $300 a triple axle dump a couple years ago, a few days ago, $650 bought the same load.  

A lot of gravel goes into concrete.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

moodnacreek

In '99 I go off concrete once and for all. Went home to the sawmill full time and walked on locust plank and sawdust/dirt. This helped my knees and back tremendously to this day. The cost? Saved the cost of concrete except footings and piers and get to smell things that died under the floor.  If I had one of those traveling band mills set up stationary I would try hard to have a sawdust blower running along with it.

Southside

The problem with a concrete floor is you then need to put rubber matting over it to work all day.  For that money why not lay down PT sleepers and a T+G 1.5" PT floor? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

longtime lurker

Concrete is the most desirable outcome but it's not cheap. I've not long done a temporary shed for the Mahoe but temporary here might need to stand through a hurricane next week and might be in place for a couple of years if priorities change so I didn't cut any corners of importance.

So I went with 40mpa (5800 PSI) concrete for the footings of the posts and the mill footings. The rest is formed up and compacted road base with heavy belting laid on top.

It ain't concrete, but you can clean it up by running a bucket over it in the right direction, sweep it spotless if you want etc etc. Water runs off when it rains, there's no issue with digging divots turning equipment on it... it's a 90% solution for 5% of the price.

I'll still go for concrete down the road, but first I have to figure out if I'm going to extend the existing greenmill or build another shed. And one of the lessons of this little experiment is that large areas of whatever I do... particularly under greenchains and transfers... see zero traffic and don't need to be anything but belting and that only because it's easier to keep clean than dirt. 
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

moodnacreek

Quote from: longtime lurker on February 17, 2024, 09:27:47 PMConcrete is the most desirable outcome but it's not cheap. I've not long done a temporary shed for the Mahoe but temporary here might need to stand through a hurricane next week and might be in place for a couple of years if priorities change so I didn't cut any corners of importance.

So I went with 40mpa (5800 PSI) concrete for the footings of the posts and the mill footings. The rest is formed up and compacted road base with heavy belting laid on top.

It ain't concrete, but you can clean it up by running a bucket over it in the right direction, sweep it spotless if you want etc etc. Water runs off when it rains, there's no issue with digging divots turning equipment on it... it's a 90% solution for 5% of the price.

I'll still go for concrete down the road, but first I have to figure out if I'm going to extend the existing greenmill or build another shed. And one of the lessons of this little experiment is that large areas of whatever I do... particularly under greenchains and transfers... see zero traffic and don't need to be anything but belting and that only because it's easier to keep clean than dirt.
You are so hard to disagree with.

caveman

If I had more roof height, I would be fine with going with a wooden floor.  The roof height is as little as possible now with a dirt floor.  I guess I could add height into each pole/pipe, but what a pita that would be.  A rubber mat on the concrete would be a tolerable walk path.  
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!