The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Croatia  (Read 9927 times)

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
Re: Croatia
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2021, 02:35:17 PM »
I hear what your're saying and I believe that you have much more experience than I do in all areas of travel.  St Louis is known to be an unsafe city, but if you don't go to the unsafe areas, then you won't be the victim of crime.  I went to Jamaica for one day.  We went on a little excursion into the mountain areas and rafted on a river.  That seemed safe and fun.  Walking around Kingston by ourselves did not seem safe.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2021, 08:29:15 AM »
We did a bamboo raft trip in 1990 with our kids- from the jungle into a bay-took about 4-5 hours. We also dived off the waterfall where Tom Cruise was seen in Cocktails flick which was also our lodging spot-same bar, etc.. It's in Port San Antonio and was once a fancy place where Clark Gable and Liz taylor hung out-it was being redone and interesting place. The guys poling the raft spoke to each other in creole but I know people well enough to have heard that they didn't like us at all. Jamaica is like that- really friendly or they hate gringos. It's real and we've discussed it with natives there a good deal. Sad factoid really. Our last trip was wife & I only-two weeks in three places and a rental car trip. Jamaican drivers are literally insane. They pass anywhere, at crazy speeds and honk while passing. The island also holds my personal pothole record-we went around one that was maybe 3-4' deep x same dia. and had weeds and small trees growing in it. Their fresh markets are really neat. 
  In Mexico I've talked with many who have worked the cruise lines and they tend to like USA gringos more than Euro gringos who they say tend toward what I'll call uppity. Fact is there's hardly a Mexican who doesn't have a close connection to the USA-either their uncle lives here or they did. Michoacan is listed as one of the more dangerous states-it's also my favorite of them all. A friend there who lives in Morelia, a hugely interesting and historic city, he's indigenous, a lawyer who grew up dirt poor and wifes and RN. 35 miles from him is my favorite small town-Patzcuaro, MX, his home town. He drives over there weekly to do pro bono work as he says the landlords and cops take advantage of the poor so he's the balance for them. I asked him whaile eating dinner if he'd ever seen or known a narco since it's a sate with many of them. his answer was that in his high end neighborhood (he had built his home and the one next door that was empty and for sale which was how he made his money & paid for his home) there was this family that never seemed to need to leave for work like most people who get up early and drive to a job. He added that they owned fancy horses and trailered them around so he had them figured as narcos, but he said most of them "lived down in the deep valley" away from others and "we just stay away". 
In the Balkans Romania is one of the mtn countries I yearn to ride in-the two mtn passes there are famously neat. It's also had a rep for being dangerous in the past but has changed some over the times and mostly a good visit. Our son who went to U of Budapest said the only place he's ever been scared for his life was on a Romanian train ride. Place is the key to safe travel Mexico or whatever. My DIL went to Cancun last year and her solution is a big box hotel which also means she's never come close to the real place. Honestly it's more like Mexico in Texas than her hotel. In Cancun, if need be, we stay in a business class hotel downtown where few tourists are seen. Then we leave as soon as we can for real Mexico. Mahuajual is a funny place. Before they built the 2 mile long cruise ship pier with Dominos Pizza, etc., etc., etc., it was a sleepy place with few tourist as it's ~ 4-5 hour drive from Cancun/Play del Carmen. Now it converts when a ship comes in then reverts back when they leave. 
I'm yearning to travel now but seems stupid even when retired? I don't want to drop $2-4,000 quarantined in a hotel overseas. Alaska is likely our next trip for that reason. We'll very likely do the AK Marine Highway system from WA to SE AK then do a wilderness trip again while still young enough to fly-in, fish, etc.. The ferry is a neat experience, sleep on deck, eat the cafeteria and watch the whales. You get off where you want, stay long as you want then get back on, etc.. Life is short, covid is messing with our bucket list bigtime, but glad to be around to talk about it. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2021, 08:35:20 AM »
I hear what your're saying and I believe that you have much more experience than I do in all areas of travel.  St Louis is known to be an unsafe city, but if you don't go to the unsafe areas, then you won't be the victim of crime.  I went to Jamaica for one day.  We went on a little excursion into the mountain areas and rafted on a river.  That seemed safe and fun.  Walking around Kingston by ourselves did not seem safe.
Before I-64 was built, the connection from US-50 required circulating through all of E STL. It was not a place to run out of gas then or now. We did that trip from 1971 when we married to lately when it's streamlined, of course and avoids the ghetto stuff.  
 On an army pass, ala 1964 in STL we were getting drunk in a Polish bar for free as they bought all the beer. When we were ready to wallow out of there, they said we'd best take a cab, not walk to our hobo hotel that cost like $3-4 a nite. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter