The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Completely green and completely frustrated  (Read 3734 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Completely green and completely frustrated
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2021, 11:07:07 PM »
You got some nice toys
Isaiah 63:10

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2021, 01:21:54 AM »
Nice equipment!  Im almost wondering if you have too much equipment and not enough hands!  With that skidder you could hitch almost as much as you could put in that trailer (softwood) full length.  I'd just drop them limb with a saw, drag to yard and buck up and build the piles.  I think you have over complicate this with equipment..in fact I think the abundance of equipment is slowing you down.  Get an experience feller (with a saw) in there and compare how fast he can build a load and get it to the landing compared to how fast you jump from one machine to the next and try to move stuff around.  You can put 3 of those poles in every choker....
If you get someone that can run a harvester and run one well you can get more on the ground per hour then someone can hand cutting especially in stuff that size. The biggest problem with tree length is if you want to put some jogs in the trails its harder to do then short logging and youre more likely to end up with damage thinning. Im going to take a good guess in that size and with how thick it is youd be domino falling as well as stump jumping a few to get them on the ground.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2021, 04:41:12 AM »
If a lot of the ground was already spaced earlier with clearing saws, the felling isn't that hard. There would be no need of domino style cutting at least. I'm working in similar wood here and I bring every stick to the ground no problem at all. Make your trail and fall the wood away. Then you make a hole as far back into the stand as need be and work from back to front and your not tramping over trash all day with machinery. Work safe and don't work around a bunch of hung up trees. ::)

If your into real soft ground a bed of limbs helps from making deep ruts, but you need a good bed of them because you have heavy machines and they'll go through sparse stuff and now you've got trash on top of mud holes to drive through. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline MrRastos

• I'm a jackass of all trades and master of nothing.
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2021, 05:09:15 AM »
If a lot of the ground was already spaced earlier with clearing saws, the felling isn't that hard. There would be no need of domino style cutting at least. I'm working in similar wood here and I bring every stick to the ground no problem at all. Make your trail and fall the wood away. Then you make a hole as far back into the stand as need be and work from back to front and your not tramping over trash all day with machinery. Work safe and don't work around a bunch of hung up trees. ::)

If your into real soft ground a bed of limbs helps from making deep ruts, but you need a good bed of them because you have heavy machines and they'll go through sparse stuff and now you've got trash on top of mud holes to drive through. :D
That stand is natural regen, but there's at least 75 acres of plantation some of which was manually weeded only five years after it was planted. I find that very odd. They did more harm than good I think because whatever was manually weeded has a lot more limbs. 
Brush mats are essential especially for the harvester because it's really just an excavator with 14 inches of clearance. It's like using a tractor in the woods. Always have to be mindful of stumps and watch that I don't run them over with the edge of the tracks. At least the underneath and the drive motors are properly guarded as well as the cab. 
LT50G38 Wide. 1994 Kubota M8030, Farma 5.3- T8, Timberjack 225D, Kubota KX080-4 with Arbro 400 stroke head, IH 444 diesel, IH 434 gas, L9000 clunker dump truck, 562 Husky, 555 Husky, 261cm arctic Stihl.

Offline MrRastos

• Share Post
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2021, 05:14:04 AM »
Nice equipment!  Im almost wondering if you have too much equipment and not enough hands!  With that skidder you could hitch almost as much as you could put in that trailer (softwood) full length.  I'd just drop them limb with a saw, drag to yard and buck up and build the piles.  I think you have over complicate this with equipment..in fact I think the abundance of equipment is slowing you down.  Get an experience feller (with a saw) in there and compare how fast he can build a load and get it to the landing compared to how fast you jump from one machine to the next and try to move stuff around.  You can put 3 of those poles in every choker....
I put six poles in a choker sometimes, but once I get my winch for the trailer I'll be parking the skidder and only using it in big stuff. I'm not even bothering with more forwarding or yarding until them because it's a waste of time. 
As for an experienced hand cutter....good luck even finding one of those around here. The few that exist are likely too busy to be bothered by the likes of me. 
LT50G38 Wide. 1994 Kubota M8030, Farma 5.3- T8, Timberjack 225D, Kubota KX080-4 with Arbro 400 stroke head, IH 444 diesel, IH 434 gas, L9000 clunker dump truck, 562 Husky, 555 Husky, 261cm arctic Stihl.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2021, 06:08:25 AM »
Yeah, that was too soon to clean the plantation. We wait at least 10 years up this way. I have seen some mill ground thinned too soon, made it twice as thick from hardwood suckers. :D

Offline Woodfarmer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2021, 06:53:40 AM »
I would think a grapple skidder would be more efficient, no?

Offline Dom

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2021, 07:10:33 AM »
Do you know any retired loggers? Are you near Clare NS? 

Offline MrRastos

• Share Post
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2021, 09:05:20 AM »
Do you know any retired loggers? Are you near Clare NS?
I'm very near Clare. I'm the the Cedar Lake and Lake George area. The only guy I knew up that was Nelson Doucette my old PCT instructor from back 25 years ago. Hard to say if he's even still around. He taught me a bit about chainsaw work too, but I caught onto PCT work a lot easier for some reason.

Offline MrRastos

• Share Post
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »
Yeah, that was too soon to clean the plantation. We wait at least 10 years up this way. I have seen some mill ground thinned too soon, made it twice as thick from hardwood suckers. :D
Yep. Manually weeded in the late 80s and after that no one did anything on the whole 322 acres besides hunting. 

Offline MrRastos

• Share Post
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2021, 05:42:31 AM »
I can now move twice as much wood out with half the effort. This factory option hydraulic winch changed my trailer from something I hated to the centerpiece of my operation. I can reach anything within a 250 foot circle now.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2021, 10:00:33 AM »
heck yeah, looks like the right money thrown in the right spot to make things flow.  

if your hydraulics to the winch comes from the PTO shaft, turn up your tractor rpm and youll get faster line speed.  you might also be surprised how much you can steer that hitch by tugging side to side on the cable about 20 feet ahead of the choker.  its not gonna snap, it would get yanked out of your hand way before then. good glove obviously.

i bet you can pull twice as many in one pull.  a slider or two and honestly, some rope nooses with carabiners would be real handy.  stiff bull rope scraps from a tree climber will make excellent chokers, use a bowline knot at each end to make a loop your fist can go through. and then one good  carabiner for each rope choker you make.  hook them into a circle ring on a slider.  very fast and easy to work with compared to chain chokers.  theres no need for a chain or cable choker on such light pieces, those are much more prone to slip than rope on limby stuffy like that.  bull rope can pull whole trees without issue.

old rope winch line scraps would work too but 12 strand plucks apart easier than stuff with a jacket over it.  baileysonline has usually got a discount odd length section. the ends of spools and such. its how i got most of the rope for my prusiks and stuff.  for what i see on your trailer, 5/16 and 3/8 ropes from baileys or wesspur would work great.  16 strand jacket stuff is very long lasting with abrasion.  all mine look fine.   you can hook a pile of them to your belt loops or a camelback strap and hardly know theyre back there. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »

Carbiner or C hook.  One could weld small chunks of smooth metal to the sides of a forged hook and it could be a quick attach cable slider. The added pieces make the effective radius of the hook really large so that it cannot kink your cable.  I made my slide out of stacked loops of chain link, welded together. Works great,  no kinks.

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2021, 02:32:54 PM »
I can now move twice as much wood out with half the effort. This factory option hydraulic winch changed my trailer from something I hated to the centerpiece of my operation. I can reach anything within a 250 foot circle now.

really glad to hear you’re making head way, keep us updated here.

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2021, 02:39:44 PM »
Talk to howard porter near you. he is a long time woods worker and does beautiful forest managementt. i may be able to drop in sometime and give my opinion on a few things as well. we have 350 acres in saulnierville station area that we farm as well.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2021, 06:29:59 PM »
lets see some updates! @MrRastos 

Offline MrRastos

• Share Post
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2021, 05:50:44 PM »
Talk to howard porter near you. he is a long time woods worker and does beautiful forest managementt. i may be able to drop in sometime and give my opinion on a few things as well. we have 350 acres in saulnierville station area that we farm as well.
I've heard a lot of good about him from the foresters in the local coop.

Offline MrRastos

• Share Post
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2021, 05:53:54 PM »
lets see some updates! @MrRastos
Not much to add at the moment. Too many fires to tend so to speak. Lobster fishing season is upon us and I have a job as crewman. It may last a lot shorter than I think though. After that I need to finish that small block and then concentrate on roadwork again and building a small off grid home on the property. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2021, 05:49:48 AM »
Good luck with the lobster catch. ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Completely clueless

Started by memmons on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 11:34:16 PM
by thenorthman
xx
Completely Stumped

Started by Ishvp1979 on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

20 Replies
Last post February 20, 2019, 12:38:36 AM
by EOTE
xx
Completely Worthless

Started by Magicman on General Board

13 Replies
Last post May 27, 2017, 06:59:26 PM
by Magicman
xx
Completely unknown tree to me

Started by RPowers on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

7 Replies
Last post December 04, 2015, 10:03:43 PM
by RPowers