The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Redmax GZ5000  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
Re: Redmax GZ5000
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 11:54:47 AM »
Decal numbers....

Starter: 579 546 601

Clutch cover: 578 037 501

Shows still available, but backordered for a month. Any Husky dealer who does online sales, (not me  :)) can order them. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
Thats a beauti of a saw, where can I get one?
Just look online for your nearest Redmax dealer, but buy it locally from a dealer because stuff happens and hell make it right.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 06:46:17 AM »
Problem there Todd is that most Red Max dealers won't have it and cam't get it. And wouldn't sell it that cheap if they had one. The Red Max saw experiment is officially over; these few saws left are just dumping remaining product. The RM website may show them as still available, but this is what's happening.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 06:57:24 AM »
Problem there Todd is that most Red Max dealers won't have it and cam't get it. And wouldn't sell it that cheap if they had one. The Red Max saw experiment is officially over; these few saws left are just dumping remaining product. The RM website may show them as still available, but this is what's happening.
Gotcha. Well poop!
Trying harder everyday.

Offline SnoJetter

• Gramps was a logger and he taught me well!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »
Yeah, what Spike said.  The Redmax dealer relatively close by is advertising the GZ550, and I think that's the only model he has.  That's why it was easy to push me into a purchase because I wanted a chance to own a brand new red saw before they were all gone.

Technically, my new saw is no longer new.  I spoiled it by filling 'er up with gas and oil.  A few pulls and she fired right off.  Now the clutch side has oil running down the side :'(  But these things are made to get dirty, right?

I still haven't settled on a bar/chain yet.  All my small saws are .058/.325 and I think it would be nice to keep that streak going.  I'm finding the old stock Jonny bars are mostly 3/8 and .050's.  It looks like an Oregon VersaCut is readily available, so that may be what I settle on unless you guys want to steer me elsewhere.  I cut a lot of wood, but I spread it out over a dozen or so saws so nothing I own gets a ton of time on it very quickly.  I don't need the best bar, but don't want garbage either.

@Woodfarmer, to find this saw you'll have to do an ebay search for it.  There's a seller who has them listed for $379, and as of last night there were three left.  I sent him an offer of $300 or $325, something like that and he came back with a counteroffer of $350 which is the price I paid.  The listing includes free shipping, but I'm not sure if that's just to the states or includes Canada as well.

I say there are three left last I looked, but there were 4 left yesterday...until I bought a second one.  No, not for me.  I thought this would make a great gift for my father-in-law whose last new saw purchase was a 2054 in the 90's.  I gave him a 2150 just so he'd have a spare.  I figure this little "2252" would be a nice upgrade for him.  And crazy as I may be, I'd even consider buying a third one to gift to my dad if I can convince him he "needs" it.  He recently unloaded his second (limbing) saw in favor of a second "smaller" bar for his primary saw.  Instead of two saws with different bar lengths for different jobs, he decided he'd just swap bars depending on what he was cutting.  

And finally, thank you, Bob, for those decal p/n's.  If I'm going to put them on, I'd better do it while everything is still clean!

Offline SnoJetter

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 08:39:13 PM »
Here's an update. I ordered a pair of VersaCut Oregon bars (.058, .325) for these saws. Jonny-labelled bars woulda been ideal, but these bars look at home on them with their color scheme.

I haven't cut anything yet, but the plan is to make chips over this Thanksgiving weekend. This is my first experience with Autotune (or CarbControl as the manual calls it), so I've got a couple questions for clarification. Reading the manual, it says for the first start or when conditions change to run the saw under load at 8-12,000 RPM for 3 to 5 minutes. My assumption is I should still warm the saw up, but it almost reads as though I start it up and then immediately start cutting. I don't want to risk a cold seizure.  What is the proper calibration technique? And does this need to be performed EVERY time I go out to cut (presumably conditions will vary a bit day to day and I usually am only cutting on weekends, so conditions would surely change over a week's time)?  In addition, I'm often using this size of a saw for limbing, so I wouldn't necessarily have thick pieces where I can run 3-5 minutes at full throttle.  It just seems like a very long period of time at specific load/RPM is required.  Would I be screwing up the electronics/settings if I fire up the saw and trim brush to clear my escape route, or limb up the top of a fallen tree?  That sort of scenario is how I typically start rather than just dogging into the butt of a large log (which I don't tackle often anyway, more typical is 10-12 inches and the whole log might be bucked up before 3-5 minutes elapse).

Secondly, being this is my first new saw in 20 years, what is the proper break-in procedure? I'm used to the two stroke on a snowmobile and that involves varying the throttle speeds while only occasionally running up to full throttle.  On a chainsaw however, do I just bury it in wood and run 'er at full speed? Or is there a more defined process to break these things in?

Offline Woodfarmer

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 10:16:15 PM »
Spike60(Bob), has a video somewhere where he shows how to tune in the AT. Runs it down the length of a log for a period of time like 30 seconds or so cant quite remember. 

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2021, 09:29:35 AM »
@weimedog  Walt, can you drop in that vid where we ran the 555 down the log and it cleaned up real nice as it reset? Is there a short version that just shows that procedure?

That 3-5 minute thing is certainly not practical; you'd need a 250 ft log to do that. The various "explanations" in the owners manuals over the years have caused more confusion than anything. Keep in mind, that the cut needs to be continuous; if it drops out of a cut, it has to start over. The reset procedure is really only necessary when the saw doesn't seem right. Remember the thing is resetting all the time during regular use. But if it hasn't been used in a while or you simply want to be sure it's dialed in properly, then do the cut and get to work.  :)

The 555 in the vid had sat for several years and didn't want to run at all. Without the reset cut if would have been back on the truck as it wasn't usable the way it was. But once she hooked up, the thing ran great. Made me wonder why I let it sit so long. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline SnoJetter

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »
Thank you for posting the video.  Listening to that saw come to life is really eye opening!  If I understood correctly, the low is set just by letting the saw idle, while the high is reset with the 3-5 minute loaded cut.  And this is a reset to factory defaults, correct?  Otherwise, the carb is constantly tuning itself to local conditions while in use?

So...if I'm hearing/reading this right, I should just run the saw like I would any traditional carbed saw and don't worry about it, don't overthink it and just let 'er rip.  If I run into any issues, use the reset procedure.

Any advice on the break-in?  I'm thinking I just load the saw and go, using it as if it were the 20th tank of fuel not just the first or 3rd.

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2021, 04:21:30 PM »
Just run it and have some fun. 

The tuning cut does NOT go back to factory default settings. It is tuning to your conditions right where you are. "Custom Tuning" just for you.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline SnoJetter

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
Was "home" this weekend visiting the folks and my dad had more chores in store for me than just cutting some wood.  Brakes on the car, store away the mowers, clean off the roof and gutters.  So not as much time throwing chips as I had hoped.  I did get a couple of tanks (almost) through one of the saws.  I suppose that means the clean one should be put on the shelf and left alone until it's a collectors item, or not...

Anyway, my first impression is extremely favorable.  I can't say it felt any different ergonomically than my 2152's and that is a very good thing.  We found some ash and walnut to salvage that was more dry than green, and the saw powered through it without a hiccup.  Considering the size of the logs and number of cuts, I was very surprised at how long the fuel lasted.  Perhaps that had something to do with fact I was running brand new chain, I don't know.

Regardless, I love the saw!  As an aside, I was also very impressed with the Oregon chain.  I've heard hit & miss reviews on it.  But after the cutting on both Friday and Saturday (again, just two tanks but salvage wood includes dirty bark and encrusted dirt from sitting on the ground) it felt just as sharp as when it came out of the box.  Plus, not discolored or any buildup on the teeth.

I'm very pleased!

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2021, 07:24:06 AM »
That's good to hear Jetter. But wasn't the one going on the shelf supposed to be for your Dad? :)

Reviews can be helpful, but there are times when it's best to draw your own conclusions. There are plenty of negative reviews about everything. With the chain, I have guys that will not buy anything that isn't in an Oregon box; others insist on the Husky C83/C85 chain. I just hand them what they want.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline SnoJetter

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2021, 08:59:41 AM »
Busted!  You're right, the second saw is supposed to go to my father-in-law...but a guy can change his mind, right?

Actually, I figured I'd run the first saw to get it broken in and then hand it off to him.  So the second one can't sit on the shelf or else I'd be without.  A little diligence in cleaning after each use, and it should look the part of a shelf queen for some time.

Just out of curiosity Bob, what's your chain preference?

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
On the 3/8 chain, I prefer the C85/C83 Husky. On the .325 stuff I like the Oregon 21LGX. At some point Husky will have a full chisel .325, and I'll give that a try. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline SnoJetter

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »
I found a couple new Jonsered labeled bars (18") with chain for $24 each and decided to pick them up to have on hand for when I get a project saw running.  The chain included was Husky H30.  Haven't tried it yet, but I figure it'll cut...

Incidentally, got out to the woodlot this afternoon for a few hours.  It's about 10 acres of mixed hardwoods bordering a lake and cut off from road access by a field.  The owner gives me free reign to go in and clean up all the dead and downed trees.  There's a lot of hop hornbeam on this acreage and I know it isn't a tree that will restock the woodpile very quickly...but boy is it dense wood and makes a great fire (I have the same opinion of buckthorn, though I hate the way that tree takes over)!  I gather up as much as I can.  Anyway, all this to say I was out this afternoon and concentrated on gathering the hornbeam.  Of course, the saw of choice is the 2252, er...GZ5000.  I have to say this is my new favorite saw!  On a small tree like this, a light, maneuverable saw is nice to keep the fatigue at bay.  I will always use my 535, 2152, 026, or now the 2252 80% of the time for my cutting; this size of saw just lends itself to the smaller wood I usually tackle.  It was a joy to sling this saw around to the tune of about 1/4 cord.  Maybe I'll be able cut up another load tomorrow morning.

I'm at 3+ tanks of fuel through this saw so far.  About how long before a saw is considered broken in?

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2021, 06:54:05 AM »
About 10 tanks is considered broken in for these saws, so you got a way to go.

Do you have any high school or pee wee league teams in your town up there? I figure that you folks up there may have been chanting "Let's Go Brandon" long before it became fashionable. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2021, 07:03:12 AM »
Trying harder everyday.

Offline SnoJetter

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »
I'm up to 5 tanks now, so I'm getting there!

There is a legion baseball team in town.  But my kids are too young to be in HS sports, though the high school is consolidated with a hyphenated name, so the chant probably wouldn't roll off the tongue.  This little town gained some small regional notoriety last month when...someone...placed a plywood "Let's go" addition atop the town's city limit signs (all 5 or 6 of them).  Made for a good chuckle on Facebook anyway.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Redmax

Started by brettl on Chainsaws

0 Replies
Last post December 26, 2013, 02:11:18 PM
by brettl
xx
Opinions on RedMax GZ4000?

Started by CTYank on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post December 23, 2012, 06:39:39 PM
by ladylake