iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

920 JOHNSERED SAW

Started by drlewis, November 20, 2021, 10:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drlewis

been getting parts to keep my two 820 going and was at a old dealer that i know that closed a few years ago and he had 7 saws 1 820 3 920 and 3 930 supers .all turn over had chain brakes i got  pistons jugs nos carb boots,i have parts to build 2 930 s with nos parts .i left with a truck load of parts and saws,going back for the rest soon.there is still stuff out there

sawguy21

8) I have seen a few big J-reds but they weren't well known here, very few dealers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Spike60

He shoots, he scores!

Got a little more than what you needed for your 820, eh? Great haul, and make sure you go back and get that second load. Real good saw family. Love that chassis. There are no parts other than finds like you've run into here, so you're probably all set to keep running these things as long as you'll be cutting wood. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SnoJetter

Real1shepherd

Can't beat that...get what you can to keep 'em running.

Heard horror stories of old J'red dealers in rural NA going to the dump with truck loads of NOS parts......those stories keep me up at night.

Kevin 

Al_Smith

I've only worked on one J-red in my lifetime and it was some 49 cc model which impressed me for a 3 cuber .It was something simple like a carb rebuild and a choke linkage not closing .It's just another brand in this area that had no dealers .

drlewis

this man was small dealer but sold a lot of things lawn mowers saws snowblowers,loggers were there for everthing because he took care of you. he knew if your saw didnt run you didnt work.if the parts were in the shop, you went home running.tilton eqiupment was 25 miles away so he got it fast.i got 2 670s from him in the mid 80s loved those saws.i was dealer for tilton in the 80s for chains  and bars files that stuff.he still has saws all over in building many makes it would take couple days to see it.i am lucky he only has let me in to pick.i will get more soon as he called and found more 930 parts.i might have to  saw lumber too build a place to pile things.

Al_Smith

This whole subject goes back decades and has evolved .At one time names like Dolmar ,Partner, J-red made quality products and some so well the now 40 year old products operate as good or better than what's built today .Those now over the years have been absorbed by larger companies and for all intents have became collectors or restorers stock and trade .There are still a few of us that do that kind of stuff rather than argue about what kind of mix oil or brand  gasoline  is used or how to spit polish a machine so it's nice and tidy .Parts however are getting harder to find for those older machines .So you either figure out what can be substituted or the machine is relegated to the shelf forever and eventually ends up in a land fill . 

HolmenTree

The 920 was a strong running saw and had one of the strongest handle bar setup for anti vibration. 
A design Partner shared with them.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Spike60

Partner actually gets credit for that nice handle design. On the Jonny 900's, it was a big improvement over the mount muncher set up on the 910.

Parts for defunct brands are hit and miss. All of these brands had at least some dealers that did a decent job with the line and may be a good parts score like this one. If they didn't toss them in the dumpster one day to make some room. Dealers are less likely to do that anymore, as the internet allows continued sale of those parts long after the walk in sales have fizzeled out. If you've got the time to do it that is. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

Decades ago Easy Rider magazine had a special addition that listed what fits what Harley  and what could fit with alterations .With that in mind I'm not aware if anything has ever been done regarding what could be interchanged across brand lines on chainsaws .So if any of that is done it comes from personal experimentation and then only to what is shared info . 

Real1shepherd

Quote from: drlewis on November 21, 2021, 03:15:31 PM
this man was small dealer but sold a lot of things lawn mowers saws snowblowers,loggers were there for everthing because he took care of you. he knew if your saw didnt run you didnt work.if the parts were in the shop, you went home running.tilton eqiupment was 25 miles away so he got it fast.i got 2 670s from him in the mid 80s loved those saws.i was dealer for tilton in the 80s for chains  and bars files that stuff.he still has saws all over in building many makes it would take couple days to see it.i am lucky he only has let me in to pick.i will get more soon as he called and found more 930 parts.i might have to  saw lumber too build a place to pile things.
Life is good for some vintage saw owners with 'connections'! Get everything you possibly can for the old J'reds. You can always sell parts down the road to the rest of us....lol.

Kevin  

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 20, 2021, 05:49:11 PM
Decades ago Easy Rider magazine had a special addition that listed what fits what Harley  and what could fit with alterations .With that in mind I'm not aware if anything has ever been done regarding what could be interchanged across brand lines on chainsaws .So if any of that is done it comes from personal experimentation and then only to what is shared info .
Jonsereds was a company that shared MANY parts in their models over the yrs. Very few of their modern ported saws were proprietary designs. It's just good business and engineering.

Those of us that run threads about Jonsereds, know what fits what. A lot of it was borne out of necessity since the factory quit supporting original saws as early as the late 80's.

Electrolux Group AB took over Jonsereds around '78 and moved production over to the Partner plant...which they also bought. The 910 was the last 'true' Jonsered engineered pro saw. After that, they were influenced by Partner and Husky....then Husky alone. Eventually, Husky pulled free from Electrolux.

The 's' at the end of Jonsered is a debated topic. In early 910 ads, it was still on, but later dropped. One thing for sure;after the 910, it was never used again. I don't know if it was a battle between Electrolux and the old Jonsereds staff, or what

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on December 20, 2021, 07:56:22 AM
Partner actually gets credit for that nice handle design. On the Jonny 900's, it was a big improvement over the mount muncher set up on the 910.

Parts for defunct brands are hit and miss. All of these brands had at least some dealers that did a decent job with the line and may be a good parts score like this one. If they didn't toss them in the dumpster one day to make some room. Dealers are less likely to do that anymore, as the internet allows continued sale of those parts long after the walk in sales have fizzeled out. If you've got the time to do it that is. :)
Agree with the parts finding debacle. But even with the Internet, some old Canadian dealers found it easier to just haul NOS parts to the dump, rather than selling parts online.

If you talk to loggers that used all three of the 900 series saw, most preferred the 910. Personally, although the handle on the 920/930 is sturdier, I think it's a bloated whale. Jonsereds had a 'kit' that you put on the 910 handle that beefed it up. I actually have one as they were sold.

Yeah, the handle on the 910 was problematic. But then, if you get your bar stuck in a cut, pulling hard on the handle is usually not the best route to take.

Kevin

Spike60

For Jonsered collectors there are "officially" 3 groupings of saws. First are the original pre-elux saws called "pure" Jonsereds back here in the east. Pure in the sense that Jonsereds was still it's own independant company. 621, 70E, 49SP, 90. And like Kevin said, the 910 was the last saw introduced before the company was bought.

The 3rd group is called "shared" and generally refers to any saw that was little more than a re-labled Husky. 2171 and such on up to the end with the 2253 and 2260 being the last 2 Jonsered chassis introduced.

The 2nd group is the tough one as there were a lot of saws that had what we'd call mixed blood in them as the blending of the brands was taking place. We call them "true" or "actual" Jonsereds that are not merely relabled Huskys. These are saws like the 920/930 that were updates to the 910 chassis. (a lot of them), 455/535. There were some shared models during this period, but they were Partners, not Huskys. 490/590, 2077/2083 and the 2045/2050. There's some debate as to where the 625/630/670 land as they had some differences that make them more than simply red versions of the corresponding Huskys. The very last chassis to be introduced that was completely unique to Jonsered was the 2051/2054/2055. It looks more like a Partner than a Jonny, but by this time, elux was folding the Partner and Pioneer brands together, soon to be joined by yellow Poulans.

For a short time, Poulan Pro dealers had a pretty interesting catalog to sell from. Some decent saws from all three brands all under one roof. Thems were the good old days, huh?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

I always considered my 2094 as kind of a unique dawg. Most think it's just a rebadged Husky 394. But it's not.....in addition to the usual handle/tank differences, its stroke is more down in the case than the 394. Tank is mag, recoil is stout etc. Very serious J'red saw and differs from the 2095.

Plus, it's the newest saw I own....lol. I was trying to find a decent Husky 394 example and wound up with the unique 2094. I even have the workshop manual for the 394....I was so sure I was going to buy one.;D

Kevin

Spike60

Yup. 2094/2095 share just a few parts with the 394/395, but they are a unique Jonsered chassis. Those starters had to be strong because the 94 didn't have a deco.

2094 arrived at pretty much the same time as the 2055 chassis. 2051 might have actually beaten it, giving "last saw" honors to the big guys. I'd have to look at old price lists to be sure. Could have a fun discussion about which saw replaced what model and covered what market segment. The 2077 and 2094 came out at the same time when the 930/930 went away. The 2094 moved up the displacement ladder, and the 2077 and then 2083 had to fill the gap between it and the 670. Eventually the 2186/2188 soldiered on as the top Jonny until the end.

Only takes a few minutes to sum this stuff up, and have them all in the basement on the shelf. But can't lose sight of how many years are involved. A good chassis is often on the market for 20+ years, with a few model variations along the way. Look how much time the 2100 and then 395 have been out, and now the 585/592 are just around the corner.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Yeppers....not having a decomp suited me just fine.....I might have plugged it anyway. 8)

That's so true about the 2100/2101 thing(and others) and 20yr runs for models. My only beef is Husky(and others) not continuing to support models with parts. Seems like some companies make an arbitrary time line when they quit making parts for models while other companies continue making parts if there is a demand.

Hard to put a saw on the shelf when everything works perfectly and it does everything you want it to..............

Kevin

mike_belben

spike this sounds about like trying to sort out autocars from whites gmcs and volvos!  

i personally feel like i can see the husky 61 as the root of the 372-395.  like they all morphed out of the 61s bosom.  the SBC of orange saws.  i havent run one in a while but had fun building a few.
Praise The Lord

Real1shepherd

The 1100 morphed into the 2100....the 394 morphed from the discontinued 2101 and the 395 morphed from the discontinued 394.

Not sure how you figure the 61 into any of that?

Kevin

mike_belben

Just seemed that way from all the boxes of scrapyard old huskys ive piddled with trying to rescue saws.  figuring out the model numbers and interchangeability in my basement by trial and error.  61s came out before i did.

Praise The Lord

Real1shepherd

The Husky 61 is a homeowner quality saw. As sturdy and long-lived as it is, I don't see it as the 'bosom mother' bearing the Husky pro saw series that I mentioned earlier. The 1100CD was the bosom mother of those saws.

Kevin

mike_belben

Youre being a little snooty on Christmas kevin.  I didnt say bosom mother, wasnt born in the 50s and never seen the west coast or these big pro saws sold there.  

My bad for being ignorant. Please forgive me, i never saw an XP in the two digit series era to differentiate pro from homeowner. 
Praise The Lord

chet

Quote from: Real1shepherd on December 25, 2021, 01:08:10 AM
The Husky 61 is a homeowner quality saw

Kevin
I own or have owned 61's, 272's, 285cd, 288's, 380, 395, and a 2100cd.    The 61 may not be a large displacement saw but I would never consider it a homeowner class saw.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Real1shepherd

Quote from: mike_belben on December 25, 2021, 08:40:32 AM
Youre being a little snooty on Christmas kevin.  I didnt say bosom mother, wasnt born in the 50s and never seen the west coast or these big pro saws sold there.  

My bad for being ignorant. Please forgive me, i never saw an XP in the two digit series era to differentiate pro from homeowner.
Not meaning to be snooty. You made the claim that the 61 was the bosom mother of the 372-395 saws. I don't see it that way with the Husky pro saws I know related to the 395, is what I was saying. I gave you the evolution of those saws.This has nothing to do with being an Christmas Scrooge, so don't go there and turn this into the tired trope of west coast versus everyone else, please. You're better than that.

'XP' in the beginning of its use meant extra power which came from a hotter module spark for wet west coast conditions(you could buy a regular 2100CD module or the 'XP' module designation). That's straight gospel from a regional west coast Husky rep in the late 70's. The term morphed later into meaning much more for their line.

@Chet;I was being a little too hard on the venerable 61. Homeowner, rancher, firewood, technically small pro saw. Tough as nails.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!