iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Sharpening preference

Started by weimedog, December 05, 2021, 05:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

So what would you buy to grind or sharpen your chains if repeatability and the ability to "trim" the sharpening stone ( wheel ) is a priority ?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

weimedog

Found this on YouTube...interesting results. I've either hand ground or used the Pferd brand 2 in 1 like the Stihl version for a few years and have had good results. Problem is the chain needs to be on the saw. I have a box full of saw chain that gets tossed when I rock one to where hand filing is a pita....so looking for a grinder option. Looks like the best results for a bench grinder for this dude was a Harbor Freight! 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

doc henderson

I use the very expensive Stihl grinder.  I got my portion of retirement when my mom passed.  It is in a decedents IRA, and one rule is you have to take some out each year.  I continue to get a check each December, and I get myself something I otherwise might not.  this was a Christmas gift from my parents back about 6 years ago.  It is a solid grinder.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Twowithone

Sthil 2in1 sharpening system no regrets so far.

Andries

Same here, 2in1.
Its working well for the saws I run.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

JoshNZ

I thought Id spend a bit more money than bottom end and get a middle range grinder, I spent about $2-300 I think. Has always worked well, I can bring a chain back to sharp as new without much trouble. It does take a bit of skill with dressing the wheel and pressure on the handle but it's streaks ahead of a file (for me).

Since all that I've modified an old bandsaw drag sharpener, wanting to replace the motor, I decided to buy a cheap chainsaw grinder and rip the motor from it as I couldn't find any cheaper alternative for just a motor. I spent $80 and when the thing showed up, it was exactly the same. I bet it came from the same mould, same components same colour same hardware bla bla. Different sticker.

It works fine anyway, go super cheap or, name brand, if you're going for a grinder. They do work really well

DesertHobo

I think the video you're referencing is Project Farm - love that guy. If so, that's the one I watched that made me give the HF grinder a shot. Well worth it. Wheel didn't need dressing, accommodates different angles, holds chain steady. It's simple, it's fast, it's cost effective and it does a good job.

ladylake

I've been running a Oregon 511a for the last 30 years with no complaints.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

421Altered

I have two Oregon grinders, they work very good for me.

421Altered

I might add, I hand sharpen in the woods with the Stihl 2 in 1 on my short bars, 20" and under, but I grind all chains longer than that.  Also, grind the one's that have been badly damaged by rocks, or metal.  Also, I use the CBN wheels that never need dressing.

Old Greenhorn

I use a file, always. I have thought of getting something to speed up badly rocked chains, just not there yet. @weimedog I am not seeing your you tube link or reference. What am I missing? I might try something cost effective from HF, was just there 2 days ago.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

chet

I'm in da same camp as Tom, always used a good file, and see no reason ta change my ways. Unless some day, old age eyesight or arthritis has other ideas.   ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

weimedog

Prolly have to go to YouTube and search for "Top 10 Chainsaw Sharpening Grinders" as I suspect the moderator removed the link

I've been using the "Pferd" 2 in one now for years. Especially since my eye sight has caught up with my age....often need glasses but all I do is loose them and or drop & step on them when I'm working in the shop on the hill or the tractor bucket.

Was introduced to square ground per current YouTube fad introduced from the West Coast/ California channels. A fellow here bought a grinder and adopted the style...gave me a few loops. AND they cut pretty well. Even lasted pretty well. Just I would have to send the chains t him for re-sharpening or get a grinder myself. But when I compare that to one of my "Pfred" sharpening techniques....not sure the difference is worth buying a setup to replicate. For that matter "Pfred" on rs might still be a match in the nasty hard wood I have here. 

BlacknTan

Timely for me... Just bought a Stihl USG. Only one in the supply chain from where I got it. Been on the fence for years, but with so many things becoming NLA, I finally jumped. Happy I did.

Nearly went square, but the price, and seeming quality of the machine put me off. I doubt there's a helluva lot of difference. I have a square chain here to try, off a Simington, but it's still hanging and waiting it's turn.

Not sure I know what you mean by "trimming" the stone... dressing?

Gearbox

i use Tri Link chain and it can't be filed so i own 2 grinders. 1 to sharpen and 1 to do the rakers . I use a 60 degree wheel angle 25 degree tooth angle and a 10 degree vice angle . If i can stay away from frozen dirt I can easy do 4 to 6 cord per sharpening on my firewood processer . 
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

lxskllr

Curious why you say Trilink can't be filed. I found a poulanpro in the trash, and it was wearing Trilink chain. I don't care for it much, but the teeth haven't given me problems filing. *However*, there were a few rakers so hard, the file just skittered across the top. Seems to be uneven tempering of the components. and perhaps I just got lucky the teeth are all workable.

chet

Quote from: weimedog on December 09, 2021, 07:44:55 AM
Prolly have to go to YouTube and search for "Top 10 Chainsaw Sharpening Grinders" as I suspect the moderator removed the link

For the record, the moderator did not remove the link.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!