Oak Seedlings ID

Started by Treeflea24, May 22, 2022, 11:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeflea24

Any thoughts on what type? 

-

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Treeflea24

Really?? I'd assumed these were on the red side of the oaks...
These are all from acorns that I collected and planted in the fall.
-

Old Greenhorn

Well, the trees like similar habitats and are often found near each other. as they mature the bark of both trees can be quite similar.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WDH

It may be more likely to be chinquapin oak.  It is in the white oak group like chestnut oak, but the crenations are more pointed than more rounded like in chestnut oak. 

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Dang it all Danny! I had one in a row and this would have been two, but no, you had to show me my error.  :D ;D
 Yes, I think you are correct. These two are very similar (to me) but carefully looking at the saw tooth pattern I have to concede to your assessment. Taken along with the ranges these two trees are prevalent in, the chinquapin oak is the more likely. I just can't pronounce 'chinquapin' and find it easier to say chestnut. :)
 The lot I am cutting mushroom logs on now has a lot of chestnut oaks and since they are in the white oak family, they are more popular with growers then the red's which also do well.

moodnacreek

If you don't know r. oak acorns from w. oak acorns taste them, reds are bitter.

WDH

Red oak acorns also tend to be smaller than most white oak acorns. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!