iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoke bomb testing the chamber

Started by Mhaaland, October 10, 2022, 06:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhaaland

I see a few post where guys use smoke bombs to see where any chamber leaks might be.  
When using the smoke bombs I assume this should be done during a drying cycle?  Lumber pack loaded, baffles in place, fans on & kiln running? 

customsawyer

I've never done a smoke bomb test in mine. Get a inferred thermometer that you just point and shot for the temp. Get your kiln running and give it a walk around. It will show you if you have any leaks.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Smoke bomb checking for leaks is something my local Great Dane Trailer Repair shop told me about.  It's how they check for leaks on their Reefer trailers and they even have a ready made smoke grenade just for that.  Actually, they had a whole box full of them.  

The kiln should be completely empty, there should be nothing flammable contacting or near the smoke bomb, and it needs to be big enough to put off some good smoke.  Smoke grenades put off some heat so make sure it won't catch anything on fire. 

Light it up, shut the door and vents, and start looking for leaks.  That's how to do it.

In this day and age, buying smoke grenades may be difficult.  Back then it was as as easy as "Hey, I'll take a couple."  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

KenMac

Some HVAC supply houses used to sell smoke bombs for testing duct work, but I'm not sure about now. It might be worth checking if you can't find them elsewhere. You might have to get an HVAC contractor to get them for you.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

K-Guy

An alternate method is to empty the kiln have put in a couple of the neighborhood pot heads and they will make plenty of smoke.  smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

DWyatt

Put them in the hot box, so to speak :D

Mhaaland

I'll use my thermal thermometer for now until I find some smoke bombs or pot heads. 😁 I did call our town fire department & they have a thermal imaging system.  They said they would get back to me today on if they will help me out.
I did find a temperature spike above my doors & around 1 vent.  I jammed t-shirts in the top side of the door & that seemed to help.  I chalked around the vent too.  I noticed 15 minutes after doing that my WB climes 1.5 degrees.
I'm going to check everything this morning & see where I'm at.

Old Greenhorn

If you do get the FD to bring out their TIC that would really work well. Just keep in mind they are very sensitive and you might wind up chasing tiny heat ghosts. They will pick up the residual heat off of foot and handprints and an pick out active wires in walls running normally.
 We sometimes used them on night time lost person and body searches in the woods to find folks that were unable or unwilling to call for help.
 Focus on the big stuff first.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

When I worked for the state, about 40 years ago, we had a camera for heat loss. I worked for the low income. 
Really picked up on the problem areas. 
Which most times was windows and doors.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!