iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insect treatment for air dried lumber

Started by sumpnz, October 16, 2022, 12:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumpnz

Got some birch I chainsaw milled I'm going to use for countertops.  While unstacking to find suitable pieces I noticed some insect activity.  Some stink bugs, some ants.

Search is a little confusing.  Seems like a solution of borax and water will get rid of anything on the surface but as the wood is quite dry after almost 2 years stacked/top covered outside I'm not likely to kill anything deep in the wood.  

Is generic borax from Walmart fine, or do I need to get timbor or something like it?

Seems mixing in some antifreeze will get it to penetrate the wood well and kill insects deep inside.  But if I mix it with antifreeze I'm concerned that the dye would discolor the wood.  Is that a valid concern?  If so where does one get undyed glycol?  

What do you air dried wood workers do to eliminate insects in your wood?

For future milling I'll plan to spray with a borax solution as soon as it's cut.  With the wood wet it seems that will get the borate to penetrate well and should (knock on wood) prevent this in the future.

samandothers

This may help:
solubor liquid in Drying and Processing (forestryforum.com)

I get a little twitchy about bringing wood inside that is not heat treated to kill critters.  But I am conservative.

Don P

Our birch is sweet birch, which is candy for powderpost beetles. If they are in yours to the extent they will hit ours, burn it all yesterday.

Assuming it isn't that bad heat is the best way now. Box it into a small area and heat that space above 150°F for at least 24 hours.

Boric acid will work but not as well as DOT, boric acid+borax boiled together. It is simpler to just use timbor or solubor, premade DOT.

ANY glycol will slow drying. Borate only moves when the cells are saturated wet, apply green from the saw when possible. Glycol will help wet out dry material, marginally. I've never had the green stain wood but I work with old wood when using glycol. Painters use it to maintain a wet edge in harsh drying conditions, a real paint store should have it undyed. That is ethylene glycol, there is also polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol pretty readily available. They are just slow drying alcohols that readily mix with water.

Ants and stink bugs are not really of concern, zoom in and look for tiny critter holes.

kantuckid

It IS!!! the season of the stink bug.
 They are all over the woods and many have come into our house as well. Never saw one eat any wood but I sure don't like them crawling on my face at night. 
Here, we prepare for the last warm days of fall when afternoon sun warms certain outside walls and the lady bugs try to gain entry. I spray those walls yearly yet they manage to get into most anything.
Ants I'd use a focused pesticide besides the above. 
When I crank up a log using my Super Genie Lift, the stink bugs who have sheltered down inside the machines alu support columns get stirred up and stinks like crazy!
 I have to spray lumber piles in storage barn for carpenter ants who will come into the base of a pile and eat it from below, sight unseen. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!