iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

central boiler 6048 heating capacity

Started by johndough, November 08, 2022, 11:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndough

Hey guys, this will be my second season at the property we moved to last year about this time. Last year I made it from late November to sometime in March running the 6048 central boiler that was on the property. I wasn't burning the best wood and a lot of it I was cutting to size weekly because of the timeline so its hard to say how much I burned. Anyways I have 10 cord ready for this winter, could be drier than what it is, but I think I'm sitting a lot better then last year at this time. I'm pretty confident that this will get me through this winter. I'm heating our house and a large building roughly 40x60 last winter I only kept it at about 50 degrees it really doesn't have to be any warmer than that. As far as the house goes its plenty warm, warmer than I would like it but that better than that other way and I have a couple ideas I'd like to try to get the temp better spread throughout the house.

So my question is, I have another work shop I heat with propane currently and would also like the ability to heat with wood. I acquired a small indoor wood boiler I had plans with but but I don't know if I can make that happen the way the insurance company wants it. I was wondering if the unit I have, the 6048 could handle another load on it if a ran a line set to my work shop. Building size is roughly 30x40. I'm looking for it just to offset the cost of the propane for that building. It just keep it around 50 degrees and and if I want more heat I could turn on the prone furnace. I would like to possibly add a second outdoor boiler for this building in the future and would like to be able to do it myself but from what I'm getting from the insurance company so far it they want it professionally installed. I'm still going back and forth on that the details are unclear at this time. Obviously my wood usage would go up, would there be any other issues? 

I'm sure I've left out some details from what's in my head and what I have written here, but please take it easy on me.

DDW_OR

here is my new Central Boiler 760 HDX install

Central Boiler 760HDX - Montana in Firewood and Wood Heating

can you add to your profile a location, country, state, nearby city/town
we have members from all over the planet.

now for the furnace and buildings
distance from 6048 Furnace to each building.
long runs use the larger Thermopex, 1.25 inch.
the connections on either end can be 3/4 inch. the larger pipe just gives easier fluid flow
my rule of thumb is, for runs over 100 feet go one size larger

i am only slightly familiar with the 6048
i think it has the capability to do more than one loop
"let the machines do the work"

johndough

Quote from: DDW_OR on November 08, 2022, 02:38:01 PM
here is my new Central Boiler 760 HDX install

Central Boiler 760HDX - Montana in Firewood and Wood Heating

can you add to your profile a location, country, state, nearby city/town
we have members from all over the planet.

now for the furnace and buildings
distance from 6048 Furnace to each building.
long runs use the larger Thermopex, 1.25 inch.
the connections on either end can be 3/4 inch. the larger pipe just gives easier fluid flow
my rule of thumb is, for runs over 100 feet go one size larger

i am only slightly familiar with the 6048
i think it has the capability to do more than one loop

Thanks for the reply! My boiler has 3 outlets available, 2 currently being used. Because of the layout of my buildings and yard if I ran the other line set I was considering running it through the big building with existing heat because the amount to be buried would be less, would be a little bit longer of a run.

DDW_OR

i can understand.

but my last word is, fueling one furnace should use less wood that two furnaces
"let the machines do the work"

albirk

What is the distance between the stove and building 1 that you are heating now and the between building 1 to building 2? might be able to use the same pump for both.

thecfarm

I have no idea. But the specs should tell you. Google too.
Are you able to fill it twice a day? May have to do that. Than once at night.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

johndough

Quote from: albirk on November 12, 2022, 07:42:51 AM
What is the distance between the stove and building 1 that you are heating now and the between building 1 to building 2? might be able to use the same pump for both.
Yeah this is a route I'm also considering I'm not sure of the exact distance but it would be quite a bit less than the straight run, at least the insulated portion.

Thank You Sponsors!