iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Log prices vs selling 1x’s.

Started by Mark hershey, November 30, 2022, 04:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark hershey

Got this price sheet from a local cedar place that buys cedar logs. I'm getting a sawmill but wondering if anyone has insight into selling cedar boards? Like run an ad on Craigslist. I'm going to open some land up and of coarse creating logs. These cedar prices seem not so great but cant waste the logs. Would you mill the cedar or just let them go for these prices. When i was young we would work all day to fill a flatbed Chevy up just to split $75. Lol.

Wlmedley

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Cedarman

Most cedar scales are for 8' logs, so I would assume 8' plus a few inches. Measured outside bark to inside bark is most common way they are measured.  The scale works out to $.60 or $.696 per board foot. That is about right for our area.  Lumber is around $2.00 per board foot for good boards with very little wane or ingrown bark and sound knots.  Prices can vary all over the place though.
Mark, where you located?  That can make a big difference.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Mark hershey

Quote from: Cedarman on November 30, 2022, 06:18:14 PM
Most cedar scales are for 8' logs, so I would assume 8' plus a few inches. Measured outside bark to inside bark is most common way they are measured.  The scale works out to $.60 or $.696 per board foot. That is about right for our area.  Lumber is around $2.00 per board foot for good boards with very little wane or ingrown bark and sound knots.  Prices can vary all over the place though.
Mark, where you located?  That can make a big difference.
I am in Lewis co ky, north east kentucky. Cedar is like a weed here... Eastern red cedar, and i have a lot of shag hick, white oak, popular, walnut, maple, cherry, etc, but for some reason my cedar is what i am most attracted to. Love my cedar. I think if i start sawing it i will want to keep a lot. Lots of 10-14" at 4' from ground trees and straight,

easy 2 logs per tree.

stavebuyer

Cedar logs will last a long time. I have had a pile sit for several years before I got to sawing them. Lose a little sapwood but they are light and no sap to gum things up. I'd certainly keep a few of the best if I had a mill coming but I would sell all the smaller and limby ones. Not much demand for 4"-5" wide boards with loose knots.

Cedarman

4x4x8' bring $14.00 to $18.00.  6" log makes a nice square one.
6x6x8 bring over $40.00 out of 9" log
I would look for markets before sawing.  
2x8x8 are great for garden beds.  Demand is high in spring for those.  Takes 10" or 11" log to make those.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!