iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing GearMatic winch with JD on TJ 240

Started by pharmvet, December 02, 2022, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pharmvet

I'm looking at a 1993 TimberJack 240 D with Cummings engine and Clark 3 speed auto transmission to purchase. It currently has a GearMatic winch with some issues.  
1) can I replace the GearMatic winch with a John Deere winch? 
2) what model JD winch? 
3) is it a straight forward swap or will modifications / adapters / alterations be  necesssry? 

celliott

I don't know specifically if it's been done or possible but why not a Clark winch? Might be an easier conversion with the Clark transmission already there. Clark winches are great, mines been bulletproof in my 666c.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

pharmvet

I would be open to a Clark winch.  To be honest, I wasn't aware of them.  I'm just looking for something less finicky than the GearMatic. 

Ed_K

How bad is the gearmatic winch? I think you would be able to repair it rather than all the mods for a JD winch. I have the 19 model on my Taylor and I haven't had anything that went wrong be a hassle to fix.
Ed K

pharmvet

Not sure, but I read repeatedly that these GearMatics are finicky if not used regularly.  I'm wanting a skidder for a hobby sawmill and I will likely let it sit for extended periods.  I'm just wanting to get something that will always work when I can and want to. 

Ed_K

Mine sat for 4 yrs while I was real bad sick with cancer. In 22 I need to cut some pine to get some sun on my solar panels. We cut 2 tri x loads and all the trees were 22" dbh to 43" dbh, and 80' to 110' high. My son came up from Florida so we took a battery out to the skidder and + jumping it got it started. It only has 604 hrs on it since rebuild. So anyway we went to work skidding out the bigger logs and had no problems with the winch.

There's a part called (lever arm) pt. no. 51626 (pg.25) , once it is cleaned and sized to fit the (clutch hub) pt. no. 54301 so it moves freely no problems with the cable releasing when you push the master control lever forward.

The other real problem that's easy to fix is the (hydraulic tube) pt. no. 57552 pg. 22. Throw that away and tap pt. no. 57553 (gland cap) (pg.26) to 1/4" npt and buy a 1/4"npt live swivel. These fixes will keep your gearmatic 19 winch running a long time.
Ed K

ehp

If the gearmatic is setup good they are a good winch , I have learned that donot set the bands up as tight as lots say to do and if you set the winch in in the summer heat but you live where it gets cold so below freezing make sure you setup abit looser cause the winch will drag pretty hard when trying to pull the cable out by hand . Lots say set bands at .025 clearance but I know I set looser than that and have no problems 

C5C Tree Farmer

Quote from: pharmvet on December 02, 2022, 09:56:12 PM
 It currently has a GearMatic winch with some issues.  

So the skidder and the winch are 30 years old so it stands to reason that some maintenance and repair are in order. Some of the bad reviews come from operators that didn't take the time to diagnose why there was a problem. I wouldn't be so inclined to condemn the winch to the scrap heap until you tried using it first.
I happen to like the 19's. If you're inclined to share the issues I think we could be of some help. 

240b

the biggest problem would be getting to driveshaft to work.  the pto is on the left side of the transfer case, an most winches the driveshaft is in the centerline of the machine. the driveshaft angle would be too steep.

pharmvet

How did TimberJack do it at the factory?  I see some  TJ machines listed as having a Deere winch. 

Gary Davis

I have a gearmatic 8 and it works good and its close to 60 years old its simple to work on they do need to be kept dry when not being used

240b

different pto housing on transfer case.  also jd 6000 winch. i think it needs closed center hyd system.  pretty sure 6000 winch will not physically fit in rear frame of D model. 

Thank You Sponsors!