iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need an education

Started by OlJarhead, January 05, 2023, 10:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Help me learn?

In a recent short I made bucking the end of a log off an ugly bent log with my Husqvarna 572xp I had a comment that I was ruining my saw.

I'm not a real experienced chainsaw guy and am 'self taught ' so can always learn.  However, what I was doing was trying not to hit the mill while bucking the end off the log.  The comment was:

Wow, how to burn a chainsaw clutch 101. If I ever see someone using a saw like that they won't be on the site ever again.  Followed by thus later in answer to my question. 

I responded that I probably should have lowered the log and bucked it on the ground for safety but had never heard about the clutch problem before.
Here is the short vid:
Husqvarna 572xp vs Doug Fir #sawmill #shorts #husqvarna #chainsaw - YouTube

If I am abusing my daw I'd like to know!  I don't want to ruin a $1200 saw!

Looking forward to being schooled.
Thanks!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

sawguy21

To be quite honest it sounds like the responder has limited saw experience. If it is being operated at full throttle as it should be the clutch will be just fine. The bucking spikes or 'rakes' as he calls them are only there to hold the saw steady and ensure a straight cut, lack thereof is not a safety hazard. Most small saws are not equipped with them, too many operators use them as a fulcrum to force a dull chain. This guy needs to be educated.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OlJarhead

Thanks.  I run the saw full throttle in the cut.  

Hilltop366

I think it was more of a comment about the engine not working hard enough (free revving) and building up engine heat? Probably not a problem unless it is running a lean high speed air fuel mixture, I bet the coil has a rev limiter to prevent over speeding.

Hard to tell in the video but it didn't look like the chain was making a lot of chips for the size of the log, perhaps a bit dull or rakers too high? (speculation)

This would cause the rpms to be higher than expected in the cut and some extra bar and chain heat and wear. 

OlJarhead

Chain was relatively new and the saw was barely broken in.  I think the rakers are fine and the saw throws chucks but again, I was kinda dancing around trying to keep from hitting the mill.

lxskllr

The only thing I saw was the chain could be sharper. Looked good enough to me. It sounded like it was revving a little high, but a sharper chain should bring that down as it takes better/deeper bites.

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Ya the chain wasn't newly sharpened so that could have been a factor.

lxskllr

Saw looked like it was progressing well on the rip cuts in the second video.

barbender

I see no problem at all in your video. The poster saying you were going to burn your clutch up, from normal saw operation, tells me he has no idea what he's talking about and should be completely disregarded. 

One of the things that I love about the Forestry Forum is that fools don't make it far, and typically show themselves the door.

Too many irons in the fire

OlJarhead

Much appreciated.   YT is famous for 'experts' telling you you're wrong ;)
But I am not an expert with a chainsaw, heck I am not an expert on a sawmill either 😉

Just an old jarhead enjoying the ride and sharing my experience:)

YellowHammer

There is no reason for the saw to be loaded to the dogs, most times, on a good saw, they shouldn't or don't need be used anyway, on straight drop cuts.

If anything I do the exact opposite of what he says and pulled the bar out and used more tip section (J style cut) and had less protruding out the other side of the log, mill side, and use the uncut inside strap section of the log as a buffer to keep the bar from shooting forward into the mill, then come back and cut the side strap at the end after I had cut through the bottom of the log.  The strap will keep everything very stable and lets me cut through the bottom of the log (below the mill bed and near metal, the dangerous part of the cut) without the log end falling off.  So I cut through, look around one more time to make sure everything is good and then just tap the mill side strap and done.  Very controlled.

If you watch this Stihl TimberSports series video, at about 13:00 minutes in the video, it shows competition technique for bucking cantilever logs.  Steady hands (no "sawing" up and down and certainly no dogging with spikes) the tip a few inches protruding, and the saw held at a slight angle during the cut.  I try to duplicate this technique when I buck (as in my last video on it) and this is a very smooth, sweet technique.  Also, I like seeing lots of bar on my side so I can get more visibility to steer cuts when doing this kind of cut.  It's hard to see well when the log is against the dogs.  If I get into a gray zone, I'll ease up on the throttle and slow down.  No need to cut a hydro hose or bed section.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq8opibJR_w

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bigblockyeti

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 05, 2023, 12:32:44 PM
There is no reason for the saw to be loaded to the dogs, most times, on a good saw, they shouldn't or don't need be used anyway, on straight drop cuts.

If anything I do the exact opposite of what he says and pulled the bar out and used more tip section (J style cut) and had less protruding out the other side of the log, . . .
It depends on where you're cutting and who you're cutting for.  If you're doing it for yourself on your own property then whatever works.  It's my understand the USFS and most (all?) arborist certs highly recommend against not having the dogs engaged when they can be.
The skills and techniques employed in competition cutting on a lathe turned dowel are relatively the same resource to those cutting in the woods or at their mill as a NASCAR race would be to a defensive driving class.

Old Greenhorn

Eric, that YT 'Expert' is all wet. I do this all the time and yeah, my technique is different depending on where it sits on the mil, but no matter. The time lost in making a mistake is a lot more costly than taking your time and being sure. Seems like I am always closer than I want to be to a bunk or hose. I never saw with that sawing motion you use, but that don't mean you are wrong and I am right or the other way round. ;D I often use a J cut, starting on the top to get in about 2" then pull pack so that I leave the strap on the back for several inches, just like I think YH was 'splaining, then I poke back through the log and cut through the bottom. I end it off by restarting in the original cut to cut down letting the slug drop off. Simple and clean and in control.  
 You cut it, did no damage, and got back to work. I call that a winner all day long. Forget the jerk on YT. Not worth your time. His comments about kickback tell me he don't know much about saws and how to handle them. He'd probably tell you that your are working dangerous when you aren't using a 'green chain' because he knows that yellow stuff is dangerous. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

I just love how he basically threatens to ban folks from the site for something that has zero impact on anything. 

Last spring we were asked to join a local "chicken swap" group on FB so folks could get hens during the "world ending bird flu". Whatever, we joined, told folks we would bring pre sold birds to their event but weren't going to sit around with others hens and have ours there and come home. One way trip for bio security reasons given we have a small commercial flock.

They banned us from their FB group for that..... whatever, keyboard experts. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OlJarhead

Thanks!  I appreciate the feedback.   Not be a chainsaw pro I'd figure I'd ask 😉 I am always willing to learn!

Magicman

I see/saw nothing wrong nor unusual about "nubbin" a log off such as what you did.  I very seldom if ever run my saw even close to WOT when doing that because I want complete control of the saw.  I want to make a slow and deliberate cut.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Southside on January 05, 2023, 01:51:33 PM
I just love how he basically threatens to ban folks from the site for something that has zero impact on anything.

Last spring we were asked to join a local "chicken swap" group on FB so folks could get hens during the "world ending bird flu". Whatever, we joined, told folks we would bring pre sold birds to their event but weren't going to sit around with others hens and have ours there and come home. One way trip for bio security reasons given we have a small commercial flock.

They banned us from their FB group for that..... whatever, keyboard experts.
That's ridiculous!  We have many large chicken operations in our area and they've been highly protective of the birds for quite some time.  Some people don't understand how careful you have to be when dealing with a flock that in some cases represents a huge percentage of a family's livelihood.  A dozen dead chickens dooming another 5-10 thousand that now have to be slaughtered can put a dent in someone's pocketbook pretty quickly.  

The last sentence of this post was removed by Admin. The political injections should be reserved for the restricted topics board.

taylorsmissbeehaven

to get back to the original post..... i really appreciate your honesty Eric. Not all of us are pros at any of this and its much appreciated when folk's are honest and help everyone learn. It would be hard for me to put up with the criticism that YT draws, lots of arm chair quarterbacks!! Thanks for the education you provide and your patients with folks that may not understand. As BB stated those that dont get it dont last long
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

YellowHammer

YT Trolls are to be ignored, their qualifications and personality are reflected in their posts.  They are just as likely to say your shirt is the wrong color or your music is too loud, or your hat is crooked, whatever.  It's one of the perks of YouTube, lots of criticism.  Of course one of the perks of being a YouTube creator like yourself is the Blocking feature, you can block the person and they won't even know it.  They can post and post and gripe and stuff and even though their posts will appear on their computer account it won't ever make the web for others to see.  That way they can't tell they are blocked, they will just think no one is responding to their comments and just fade away and go hang out on someone else's channel.  The block is hidden firm them because if they know they are blocked, they will simply log in with a different name and come out for under the bridge again.    

BTW, I don't know about anywhere else, but here in the South, we all learned how to drive from watching NASCAR. ;D  Or from an uncle who was a bootlegger or from the Ricky Bobby school of driving.  Who hasn't done a Smokey and the Bandit bootlegger turn in an old parking lot or on a dirt road?  Seriously, if you want to learn how to do something, learn the basics, then observe and learn the advanced techniques used by professionals, and then adapt it to your situation.  This is true in everything from bass fishing to laying asphalt, and even bucking cantilevered logs. Watch the angle and steadiness they hold the saw and bar, the engagement and approach to the log, depth penetration and control of the tip, the placement of their hands on the handles, throttle control, and how they do not use the dogs.  That competition is for both speed and accuracy, and although speed isn't always a factor, accuracy when cutting a log on your mill is pretty important.

Anyway, congratulations on your channel, it is doing well and I enjoy watching it.        
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

olcowhand

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 06, 2023, 08:47:33 AMBTW, I don't know about anywhere else, but here in the South, we all learned how to drive from watching NASCAR.  Or from an uncle who was a bootlegger or from the Ricky Bobby school of driving.

Heck, Yeah! I'm a "Son" of the South, and glad of it......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

bigblockyeti

Quote from: olcowhand on January 06, 2023, 09:00:43 AM
Quote from: YellowHammer on January 06, 2023, 08:47:33 AMBTW, I don't know about anywhere else, but here in the South, we all learned how to drive from watching NASCAR.  Or from an uncle who was a bootlegger or from the Ricky Bobby school of driving.

Heck, Yeah! I'm a "Son" of the South, and glad of it......
Me too!  Grandpa's old Chevy work trucks, all bought used with 2-3% of life left in them had a three on the tree and typically very sloppy shift linkages.  More fun couldn't be had and if they were used in driver's ed today, there would be zero concern about kids messing with their phones while trying to drive.  As is, a three on the tree is the pinnacle of anti-theft devices today.

OlJarhead

Thanks all!  I appreciate all the feedback.  I am often asked why I show my mistakes but the truth is, I'm an honest old jarhead and feel it's better to just admit (and show) when you make a mistake so others can learn from it ;)

I will never claim to be an expert ( ex drip under pressure? lol) and am always learning from others.  Heck, one of the things I try to show in my videos is that I'm still learning (and always will be).  I am constantly trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to fix it so in truth, I don't mind the criticism because frankly it keeps us humble lol. 

And thanks for the kind words on my channel, if you want total honesty, I'll admit that I often cringe when I do something (like rolling a cant towards the stops vs a reverse roll that would have been easier and faster) that I could have done better but I try to point it out for others to see and welcome the comments.

Splitting the pith is one of those things.  Sometimes I'm just in the rockin' and rollin' mode of milling and fail to account for something, cringe after the fact and try to learn from it....so, back to the OP, I've been using a chainsaw a long time, but as mentioned I'm self taught (other than reading here) and when someone tells me I'm doing it wrong I want to learn why, how and what to do differently to fix it.  You've helped me in that here and elsewhere!

Running a chainsaw is part of milling, no matter what.  So, having a $1200 saw that I use often (and sometimes worry I'm abusing it too much -- like quartering a big dry old maple -- but I also figure it's part of the business (like squashing a saw with a big tree -- ya that hurt).  But no business survives long if it's destroying expensive gear right?  So I'll take the comments above and try to make use of them as I learn (and share what I learned).

That's one of the reason I mention this forum so often in my videos!  Without MM, Peter, YH, WV, Crossroads, Doc and so many others I'd never be where I am now!  I've learned from you all and I hope to continue to do that!

I no longer take many pictures like I used to but that's because the cameras are running so instead of posting pics of jobs in my milling thread  I post my videos :D  Times have changed!

Anyway, I'm babbling lol so I'll stop, but THANK YOU ALL!  It's appreciated!  Now, back to editing for today's video!

Cheers
Erik

Real1shepherd

Wow, I just noticed you're one town over from me! ;D

Kevin

OlJarhead

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 07, 2023, 11:51:02 AM
Wow, I just noticed you're one town over from me! ;D

Kevin
Where ya at?