iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

termites?

Started by mountaineer, April 28, 2008, 05:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer

i assume these are termites. they are in the bark of one of the mystery trees i've cut. i ripped the bark off and split the wood but have not added it to my woodpile in the wood shed. do i need to worry about the other wood or will it be ok? once again the termites are only in the bark but i know i can't kill them all. thx

Gary_C

I don't know about the termites, but that looks just like some of the half rotten basswood logs I have here. If you need any more, you can have mine too.   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Texas Ranger

Termites have to have contact to the ground, and the underground  haven they have constructed.  If you can keep them from ground contact, particularly if they were moved away from their queen, you should be alright.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

Looks like termites, or as the old timers sometimes call them, white ants. TR is right they will die in a day or two if they can't get back to ground. I like the certainty of a bonfire when I run into infested wood of any kind though. Neat thing in oak is that they can't eat the harder ray wood, they leave a distinctive pattern that looks like just the "spokes" remaining.

Riles

A close up picture would be helpful, but ID is pretty easy once you know what to look for:

http://citybugs.tamu.edu/FastSheets/Ent-1006.html
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Radar67

Those are termites and permethrin will kill them as well as keeping them away from the ground.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

I think Gary is looking at that brown inner bark and it does look like basswood. Does it come off in long strips? They used to make rope from it. Sure are lots of white grubs of some kind on it. Are they actually termites or beetle grubs?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodchuck53

Borax will stop them also. You probably do this already but old roofing tin laid a couple inches wider that you stack seals/timbers  will stop them from the ground. We have lots of the critters in La. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!